Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449756 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2520 on: January 11, 2016, 01:15:23 am »

Failing that, gen RNWs until you get one that's just a few tiny islands.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2521 on: January 11, 2016, 01:20:16 am »

Except the RNW implementation is shoddy at best and you have to restart the game every sodding time
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: January 11, 2016, 05:15:48 am »

Hey guys, I have a question to ask. Is EU 4 worth the price during a sale? I have my objections to the very questioanble Paradox business practises, by which I mean removing core functions of the game to sell as DLC.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: January 11, 2016, 05:55:09 am »

got this game in the steam sale, I know there was a mod with a ridiculously long campaign (from roman epoch to current day)

do you happen to know the name of it?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: January 11, 2016, 07:04:36 am »

Hey guys, I have a question to ask. Is EU 4 worth the price during a sale? I have my objections to the very questioanble Paradox business practises, by which I mean removing core functions of the game to sell as DLC.

If you've never played any EU game before I recommend picking up EU3 Chronicles first.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: January 11, 2016, 07:44:25 am »

I have experience with eu 3 with all the dlc.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: January 11, 2016, 11:29:49 am »

I'd wait until it's heavily discounted.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: January 11, 2016, 06:08:08 pm »

I find that Paradox delivers a decent amount of content for its core game and its DLCs... Unlike, say, EA.

Sims 1: I have an idea... Let's make expansions to this great game!
Sims 2: That worked last time - let's do it again!
Sims 3: We need more DLC, cut back on some stuff and repackage it.
Sims 4: We need even more DLC, cut back everything down to the basics of walking around and getting a job.

End result: Sims 4 is a shitpiece. Franchise becomes most pirated game series.

They tried it with Spore somewhere between Sims 2 and 3, but they pulled so much stuff out that it was shit. Also that they wanted to make it more sellable to kids, so they cut back on all the interesting shit for "Wacky" "Cool" stuff. FML. I hate EA. #EndTangentRage
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: January 11, 2016, 07:19:00 pm »

I played EU4 without any expansions for around 500 hours, so I'd say it is worth it if you like the genre.  It has always been my observation that Pardadox includes the core  of EU4 expansions into the vanilla game as a free patch.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: January 12, 2016, 04:06:32 am »

Or gives the AI the abilities that the player doesn't have unless he buys the DLC. However, you do have a fair point.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: January 12, 2016, 11:21:06 am »

Or gives the AI the abilities that the player doesn't have unless he buys the DLC. However, you do have a fair point.

To be fair the AI is so bad that it really needs some "bonuses" like this to stay slightly competitive and even then it only lasts for so long before you can overpower or outsmart it.
Just take straits, they reworked the whole mechanic because it was so easy to exploit against the AI (and bad player in MP) that it made more sense to change it. And that isn't the first time they changed stuff to make the AI not suicide all the time.
And the worst part is that the difficulty does nothing to adress that, on hard the AI just gains bonuses and swarms you with every country from Britain to Japan as soon as you show the slightest weakness and even then you can often save yourself by just being smart about it.
God I really love that game, but the more I think about it the more I realise that I hate the AI and it's stupidity.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: January 12, 2016, 12:00:48 pm »

If Paradox really cared about making the AI more difficult, they could work on improving the AI instead of churning out more $20 expansions.

It's not like it's impossible to make strategic AI that's hard because it's smart--look at what Stardock managed with GalCivII!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: January 12, 2016, 01:44:34 pm »

Abilities like? I've heard this criticism before, and I don't know any examples of this.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: January 12, 2016, 01:46:42 pm »

I believe the AI can still increase development if the player doesn't have Common Sense (whereas the player can not).

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: January 12, 2016, 01:52:45 pm »

I believe the AI can still increase development if the player doesn't have Common Sense (whereas the player can not).
I don't have Common Sense (which is weird to say) and I haven't seen that happen though. And a quick look on the internet didn't bring anything up about it either.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 216