Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451486 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2865 on: December 02, 2016, 04:40:34 pm »

Guarantee mzab.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: December 02, 2016, 06:25:49 pm »

Oh god the new political map is ugly as fuck. Glad they have an option to toggle it off.

/irrelevant comment

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: December 02, 2016, 07:11:40 pm »

glad i'm not the only one who can't stand it

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: December 05, 2016, 05:46:01 pm »

Playing a game with the custom nation of Ny-Island. Presently things are going VERY well.

The issue, however, is Japan. Somehow they seem perpetually able to defeat my armies. Either they manage it through stupidly good rolls, stupidly good commanders, or, in my most recent invasion attempt, them somehow managing to maintain a fuckhuge army in spite of them owning Japan and nothing else.

It's hard to get an army bigger than theirs when the only province you own directly connected to Japan is that tiny little one to their north that starts off uncolonised. I have improved the fuck out of it and it still has a limit of 44, while Japan's fielding something like 80K men.

Lucky Nations maybe???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: December 05, 2016, 05:57:54 pm »

japan isn't lucky, they just have godly ideas

attacking into pre-unification japan especially is suicide

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: December 05, 2016, 07:27:45 pm »

Playing a game with the custom nation of Ny-Island. Presently things are going VERY well.

The issue, however, is Japan. Somehow they seem perpetually able to defeat my armies. Either they manage it through stupidly good rolls, stupidly good commanders, or, in my most recent invasion attempt, them somehow managing to maintain a fuckhuge army in spite of them owning Japan and nothing else.

It's hard to get an army bigger than theirs when the only province you own directly connected to Japan is that tiny little one to their north that starts off uncolonised. I have improved the fuck out of it and it still has a limit of 44, while Japan's fielding something like 80K men.
After they changed the straits rules invading Japan has become terribly hard, indeed. Before that you could just galley spam, then bait one of their armies into an island, block the straits and deal with them one by one. And now that institutions spread like wildfire and you can't count on them having poor units + backwards tech anymore, hell, I don't even like to imagine what it's like.
Not sure how I'd aproach that other than maybe baiting them to attack me so I can cheese straits and blockades for war score.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:29:17 pm by Uristides »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2871 on: December 05, 2016, 08:21:21 pm »

1. Blockade Japan forever
2. Rack up war exhaustion
3. Multiple simultaneous fake strikes to lure army onto one end of Japan in time to launch real strike
4. Die anyways (or win)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: December 05, 2016, 08:41:55 pm »

Yeah, Japans ideas ARE pretty good (10% discipline tradition OP) but even so, I'd never have thought that they'd be able to field 80K men using Japan alone. Pretty sure they haven't taken quantity idea either.

daimyou ideas, possibly

i forget how, or if the ai ever does, but it's possible to become japan and keep daimyou ideas

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: December 06, 2016, 05:08:52 pm »

Anyone here want to MP? I suck at forum searching and I pilfered around at the Play with your friends subforum and didn't find a thread incase anything was planned.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: December 06, 2016, 05:49:38 pm »

Started my first Austria > HRE game after hearing being the emperor is like being a kindergarten teacher. Any tips about what I should look out for?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2875 on: December 06, 2016, 07:10:05 pm »

Preschool children with several hundred thousand of soldiers under their command.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: December 06, 2016, 09:10:29 pm »

Question: I know it's been asked before, but what DLC is really needed to get the "full" experience--so to speak???

I'm getting an urge to blob.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2877 on: December 06, 2016, 09:24:08 pm »

Started my first Austria > HRE game after hearing being the emperor is like being a kindergarten teacher. Any tips about what I should look out for?
Make the Burgundians your waifu so you inherit their land instead of France or England, ensuring you reclaim the lands of the Empire. Then you only have to worry about an expansionist France (which if you are diplomatic, can usually avoid), allowing you to consolidate the Empire. You'll want to diplo idea up to spread your Hapsburg tentacles everywhere and ensure your best chances of inheriting princedoms, and it may be worth guaranteeing the independence of Byzantium (maybe not Venice, as they will have territories you will want in future) just to slow the Ottomans down very much. It is a good idea to support the Polish against the Teutonic Knights, in order to preemptively destroy a powerful protestant Prussia from interfering with the HRE.

Your main issues will be dealing with electors (easy enough with alliances and marriages, though they can occasionally during periods of reform, hand over control to one of your rivals) and dealing with rivals (best not to fight them if they're within the Empire - only fight to humiliate them in front of the electors). At all times try to maintain peace within the Empire. If you nommed Burgundy then prepare for the Dutch, if not, ignore them.

When the reformation happens prepare for all of your shit to be fucked up. You will be better off as Catholic, as to convert to Protestantism will momentarily disqualify you for Imperial inheritance - it's a lot easier to weather the storm as a Catholic maintaining the status quo.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: December 06, 2016, 10:04:07 pm »

Question: I know it's been asked before, but what DLC is really needed to get the "full" experience--so to speak???

I'm getting an urge to blob.

art of war, common sense, rights of man

if you like micromanagement, get cossacks

if you want to play american nations, el dorado and/or conquest of paradise

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: December 06, 2016, 10:50:29 pm »

There seriously needs to be some sort of recommendation in the OP. I feel like that question gets asked every 5-10 pages or so.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 216