Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48

Author Topic: Playerlogs from 2050  (Read 110274 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playerlogs from 2050
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2012, 05:22:42 pm »

I'd embarked on one of those 'a wormhole into paradise' worlds so I could have lots of safe time to study the new genetics and disease changes, but then I noticed that one of my starting seventeen had a grudge with three others of my embark group.  There's not a lot of information in the wiki or the forums about feuds between multiple dwarves.  I'll test the diseases and genes later - this is a rare find.

I'm not going to let any of them have military training, the first one to declare feud would just snipe off whomever he hated.  I'm going to make the one that hates the other three become a mechanic and leave him with full access to other dwarves that he likes so he can become friends with most of them first, and I'm going to burrow the three he dislikes together in an isolated area in the hopes that they become best friends quickly.  One's going to become a cook, the second a carpenter, and the third a musician - once all this is set I'll let them mingle and watch the feud blossom.

I'm hoping that the mechanic's friendships with the rest of the fortress will cause him to only set traps where they won't hurt the rest of the fortress, so there will be more to watch, and I'm really curious to see what kinds of bad foods the cook makes, and how he places them to try and make sure that his friends can't get sick while he tries to kill the mechanic.  I'm guessing the carpenter will just refit the mechanic's furniture to have splinters and be uncomfortable, but maybe he'll make a collapsing chair or something.  And the musician will be very interesting to see if he can get the rest of the fort, already friends with the mechanic, to like him less and eventually isolate him or even to dislike him too.

If anyone else wants to mess around with multiple from-embark grudges in a totally safe embark, let me know and I'll upload the save.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:25:08 pm by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

sudgy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm »

If anyone else wants to mess around with multiple from-embark grudges in a totally safe embark, let me know and I'll upload the save.

Too bad we actually can't...

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2012, 12:34:09 am »

Too bad we actually can't...

Not for another 38 years...
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2012, 02:11:13 am »

If you ask me that sounds pretty possible, so we might have a save like that before 2050.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2012, 06:34:00 am »

My four year old fort just got an actual 'must be a miracle' relic.  A woodworker, Zeck, went fey during a meal in the dining room, must have left his partially-consumed dwarven wheatbread toast at the table.  Zeck made it down to the carpentry workshop OK but then two squads of kobold kidnappers were revealed already inside the fortress and started to raid before he'd finished preparing his tools.

I care more about artifacts then kids, so I left the dayroom open to keep the raiders out of the depths.  Zeck's second daughter and another kid got snatched before the squads started to run.  I kept the militia after them, then saw three events I've been hoping for -

Ahrnis Elliss, coarse goods weaver, has started to pray.
Jonlossoss-otas, a partially-consumed dwarven wheatbread toast, has begun to glow.
It must be a miracle!

Zeck's wife, of course.  And she was only 3 squares from the toast when she decided to pray.  An axedwarf had severed a kobold's arm at just the right moment to free the daughter when Mom started to pray, and both Mom and kid have the pious and deeply pessimistic traits.

'Must be a miracle' then.  I got a perfectly polished crenulated board from the mood and half a meal that glows and goes a long way towards filling my religious icons requirement to become the Mountainhome.  Unfortunately Ahrnis worships a female trout of poetry and a male dwarf of the wind, stars, rain, and storms so its not like there's going to be any useful miracles or anything, but maybe I'll be able to occasionally gather up rains of fish or something.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2012, 11:40:11 am »

My four year old fort just got an actual 'must be a miracle' relic.  A woodworker, Zeck, went fey during a meal in the dining room, must have left his partially-consumed dwarven wheatbread toast at the table.  Zeck made it down to the carpentry workshop OK but then two squads of kobold kidnappers were revealed already inside the fortress and started to raid before he'd finished preparing his tools.

I care more about artifacts then kids, so I left the dayroom open to keep the raiders out of the depths.  Zeck's second daughter and another kid got snatched before the squads started to run.  I kept the militia after them, then saw three events I've been hoping for -

Jonlossoss-otas, a partially-consumed dwarven wheatbread toast, has begun to glow.
It must be a miracle!

Zeck's wife, of course.  And she was only 3 squares from the toast when she decided to pray.  An axedwarf had severed a kobold's arm at just the right moment to free the daughter when Mom started to pray, and both Mom and kid have the pious and deeply pessimistic traits.

'Must be a miracle' then.  I got a perfectly polished crenulated board from the mood and half a meal that glows and goes a long way towards filling my religious icons requirement to become the Mountainhome.  Unfortunately Ahrnis worships a female trout of poetry and a male dwarf of the wind, stars, rain, and storms so its not like there's going to be any useful miracles or anything, but maybe I'll be able to occasionally gather up rains of fish or something.

Oh, I remember when that happened in my fort.
Right in the middle of battle, my Commander stops fighting, starts praying and her axe starts to glow. Fuck, it's an artifact carbon axe, I thought. Suddenly, I get the text: [Artifact Carbon Axe] has turned into a relic! It must be a miracle! As she worships the God of War, the moment she starts swinging the axe, a duplicate of her appears, which disappears a few days after. So, now I have about 100 of the Legendary Axedwarves running around, all training others... Have I mentioned they don't need food?
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2012, 11:43:10 am »

It must be a miracle!

Right in the middle of battle, my Commander stops fighting, starts praying and her axe starts to glow. Fuck, it's an artifact carbon axe, I thought. Suddenly, I get the text: [Artifact Carbon Axe] has turned into a relic! It must be a miracle! As she worships the God of War, the moment she starts swinging the axe, a duplicate of her appears, which disappears a few days after. So, now I have about 100 of the Legendary Axedwarves running around, all training others... Have I mentioned they don't need food?
Test what happens when the clones get limbs severed! Or what happens when the wielder of the axe is carrying someone when they activate it. Find a female axedwarf and kick her infant out of the nursery or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

cam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2012, 12:48:12 pm »

Help! In, the world that I genned the combustive powers of oil were never discovered. So all the civilizations (except the kobolds, who are still stuck in enlightenement levels of technology after sealing themself off from the world when the Elf/Lizardmen alliance killed most of them) have resorted to using hydrogen. Trade, war, and transportation are all mostly done through zeppelins and through guided "packages" that were designed during a fey mood. The way these packages work is a small balloon carries an object into the air while radio-controlled rockets steer it. Anyway, most civilizations are running desperately low on hydrogen reserves because most were lost due to the ancient/mideval dwarves digging underneath and not realising how valuable hydrogen was. Most of the hydrogen was stored in the caverns and when those were uncovered it left the atmosphere. The human and goblin civilizations rely on these technologies the most. Since the shortage the elves, who rely on biotechnology, are poised to crush them as revenge for a great war that happened with humans, goblins, and kobolds vs the elves and lizardmen. The lizardmen being wiped out during the war.

The dwarves (who I am playing as) have recently come out of a dark age through the help of uraniam. Now if a second great war breaks out then I will inevitabely be put in the crossfire. So what do I do? The only decent weapon I have agains either is radiation. Which would destroy the elves main source of energy (photosynthesis) and would also be very effective against goblins and humans. Both the humans/goblins and the elves are demanding I join their side.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2012, 12:53:24 pm »

What mods are you using? My dwarves never get past the 1400s...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

cam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2012, 12:57:54 pm »

I decided to turn megabeasts to low. I read that usually what happens is a uranium Titan comes along and nukes an entire civilization. Ever since Toady decided to simulate how underground races uncover Forgotten Beasts, dwarves have twice the chance of being attacked.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2012, 01:16:25 pm »

It must be a miracle!

Test what happens when the clones get limbs severed! Or what happens when the wielder of the axe is carrying someone when they activate it. Find a female axedwarf and kick her infant out of the nursery or something.
Guess what? It duplicates everything, but when it is severed from the clone, it gets destroyed... Too bad. The original is marked by her being the only one with the Relic Axe, the rest just has the artifact Carbon. There's nothing stopping me from taking the axe as adventurer and start conquering...
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2012, 01:47:08 pm »

It must be a miracle!

Guess what? It duplicates everything, but when it is severed from the clone, it gets destroyed... Too bad. The original is marked by her being the only one with the Relic Axe, the rest just has the artifact Carbon. There's nothing stopping me from taking the axe as adventurer and start conquering...
Yeah, aside from single-handedly conquering all the hells, there's not a lot else she could do.
Sig

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2012, 05:30:42 pm »

I start each new release playing with the finest detail settings on each init choice, but after a few games I change to a mix of moderate and coarse settings and with all visual conversations off.

The stories the dwarves tell each other are amusing and it can be useful to know which dwarves know what rumors, but they're still somewhat repetitive especially as they keep spreading the word and really, if I wanted to watch a soap opera I'd do that instead of playing DF.  It's fun to be able to see the text symbols everywhere and know that there's one or more things in the square that have lots of details, but really, does anyone regularly check up on Urist's snail shell collection to see which new ones were found last time he wandered outside on his break?

For me it's enough to check the rumors tab in the announcements every so often.  I'm OK with knowing that 20% of my fortress believes the Mayor's cheating on her husband with the Captain of the Guard's husband.  I really don't need to watch while 8 out of 10 dwarves talk about this over the dinner table.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:33:12 pm by Imp »

sudgy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2012, 09:03:48 pm »

Help! In, the world that I genned the combustive powers of oil were never discovered. So all the civilizations (except the kobolds, who are still stuck in enlightenement levels of technology after sealing themself off from the world when the Elf/Lizardmen alliance killed most of them) have resorted to using hydrogen. Trade, war, and transportation are all mostly done through zeppelins and through guided "packages" that were designed during a fey mood. The way these packages work is a small balloon carries an object into the air while radio-controlled rockets steer it. Anyway, most civilizations are running desperately low on hydrogen reserves because most were lost due to the ancient/mideval dwarves digging underneath and not realising how valuable hydrogen was. Most of the hydrogen was stored in the caverns and when those were uncovered it left the atmosphere. The human and goblin civilizations rely on these technologies the most. Since the shortage the elves, who rely on biotechnology, are poised to crush them as revenge for a great war that happened with humans, goblins, and kobolds vs the elves and lizardmen. The lizardmen being wiped out during the war.

The dwarves (who I am playing as) have recently come out of a dark age through the help of uraniam. Now if a second great war breaks out then I will inevitabely be put in the crossfire. So what do I do? The only decent weapon I have agains either is radiation. Which would destroy the elves main source of energy (photosynthesis) and would also be very effective against goblins and humans. Both the humans/goblins and the elves are demanding I join their side.

Try steam reforming.  Heat some natural gas and steam to 11260-11980 degrees Urist, and it makes hydrogen.

Now the funny thing for me is that the opposite has happened.  The civilizations in my world have been using oil, coal, and such for energy but my world is getting really old (I'm surprised at how old it's managed to live for) and it's starting to use up it's natural resources.  I've heard that the few worlds that make it this far develop nuclear technology and use it for more energy, eventually developing space travel and getting more resources there.  Now all of the civilizations are going through an energy crisis, as they have no idea how to get more.  And I also saw one civilization whose leaders are trying to find a way to push the planet closer to the sun for more energy...  I've tried to stop them, but all my attempts have failed.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2012, 09:33:08 pm »

Sounds like you're going to have to whip out the old perpetual-motion engines: HFS-powered hamster wheels.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48