Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 48

Author Topic: Playerlogs from 2050  (Read 110285 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Playerlogs from 2050
« Reply #435 on: November 05, 2015, 06:40:31 pm »

Sorry they dont teach Roman numerals over here is Canada  ::)

I meant VII.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 05, 2015, 07:12:43 pm »

I think that was a reference to the Internet-Independent Version.  The emergency implementation that backtracked on the cloud-computing method to model the game physics, after all the problems with the previous one and that complaint by ICANN about slowing the response times of everybody, with that alleged exploit of using the 'spare' processing power of the authoritative DNS servers to model various N-body problems...

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 05, 2015, 08:31:49 pm »

You mean version III? I've never seen 3 depicted that way, and 7 would be VII.
It's not a Roman numeral, it stands for Independent Interface Version which doesn't rely on your own wetware for visuals.  Sure, most people can share the standard UX easily enough with trusted nodes, but you might not fully trust the nodes involved.  I dunno exactly when that might happen in the real world... on a first date maybe?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 05, 2015, 09:47:11 pm »

So, it turns out that my old fort is still running.  in a sense.. you rember how I was experimenting with exporting artifacts to my microfabricator, and how turns out if a moody dwarf claims the workshop just before you pause it'll sometimes cause a bit of Paperclip rampancy? Well, turns out that my neighbor neglected to set any sort of security at all on his programmable nanohive, and what I thought was a dorf going mad and fleeing into the wilderness due to failed mood, was in fact the program exporting itself. As far as we've been able to figure out, it's using the backyard at 1-cm resolution, and was doing an excellent job of keeping the grass mowed, while stockpiling for a megaproject, Specifically, a wooden tower, about 1,000 Z-levels high, that went up over the course of the last few hours.  (I recognised the architectural style from cabinets of the same era.) I'm pretty sure the logfile will be some great reading, but since the control node is buried, I'm having to wrest events one anecdote at a time via adventure mode until I can get a cable run.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 08, 2015, 01:58:11 pm »

Be careful with that, I knew a guy who did the same thing on purpose to save on labor remodeling his house and a tantrum spiral started up when a car hit a squirrel in front of the house. The fire department isn't quite sure what set off the explosion, but most insurance policies don't cover grey goo or other nanohive related accidents.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 10, 2015, 02:55:09 pm »

Speaking of nanohives, my dwarves learned advanced vermin breeding and in 50 years bred a variety of microscopic honeybee that produces honey about 4.5x as fast as normal. The dwarves are swimming in mead. Literally. No tech needed, just a legendary animal caretaker and a philosopher with a big library.

The elves are disgusted, however, calling our bees an unnatural abomination and threatening war if we don't exterminate them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 10, 2015, 04:25:03 pm »

Speaking of nanohives, my dwarves learned advanced vermin breeding and in 50 years bred a variety of microscopic honeybee that produces honey about 4.5x as fast as normal. The dwarves are swimming in mead. Literally. No tech needed, just a legendary animal caretaker and a philosopher with a big library.

The elves are disgusted, however, calling our bees an unnatural abomination and threatening war if we don't exterminate them.
Tell them that the only effective way to subdue them is wood smoke.  Assuming you picked a convincing liar as your diplomat (and if not, what's wrong with you?), they won't mention it again.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 10, 2015, 04:31:37 pm »

Tell them that the only effective way to subdue them is wood smoke.  Assuming you picked a convincing liar as your diplomat (and if not, what's wrong with you?), they won't mention it again.
Uh, isn't that TRUE though?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 10, 2015, 04:48:40 pm »

Anything can be subdued with magma.  If at first you don't succeed, use more magma.
Just got back, updating:

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 10, 2015, 04:49:24 pm »

Anything can be subdued with magma.  If at first you don't succeed, use more magma.
Yeah, but I'm sure you haven't told the elves that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #445 on: November 11, 2015, 12:02:52 pm »

I was playing adventure mode and I was walking gingerly through a ruined city site, fighting off the eventual looter and rogue
robot attack with my trusty 34-W Laser Rifle. I used to have a regular Assault Rifle, but I stop using that when I found the 34-W in abandoned bunker.
As soon as I went out of fast travel and head a little ways north to the Science District of the ruined city, that's when I met my death.

Somesort of faction named the Brotherhood of Beards ambushed me. They were packing heavy tactical weaponry and all of them were wearing T-154
power armor! Quickly counting 6 of them I knew fighting was futile and just stood still as they walked toward me. These dwarves were known to be very
Xenophobic of other races and even dwarves outside their group. They also mugged people for tech and research them back in their bunkers. Their
mountain home many years ago was destroyed by a Super Mutant dragon, the BoB then spread in their bunkers or "colonies" that they established.

The leader of the party came up to me looking dead into my eyes. Even though he was smaller than me, the black visor caked with ash and grime
showed how he was versed in battle. "Hand over that 34-W. Primitives such as you should not have that type of weaponry." The compressional
grim overtone coming out his power armor helmet sent chills down my spine.  I slowly unslinged the 34-W to show I meant no hostilities and
put the rifle on the ruined and broken down road.

After that, I slowly backed up with my hands in the air. Sweat went down me in heavy turrents, my fear and adrenaline rising as he walked up to the 34-W.
He picked up and admiringly looked at it for a long time. The Rifle was exponentially longer than him, so it would be a funny sight if the circumstances
were different. The leader than looked back at me.

"Light'em up boys." Suddenly all I felt was the searing pain and immeasurable blindness all over my body. It was so intense in those miniscule
microseconds I felt the entirety of my body turning into ash in an instant. Then there was darkness.

The BoB acquisition party looked at the newly ashed adventurer atomize. "That never gets old" piked up one BoB Knight. "Alright, move out. We
have more ground to cover." They continued on into the Science District, heading for an abandoned research facility. 

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 11, 2015, 01:40:13 pm »

I've heard good things about the Fallout mod. Should I try it out? I usually just play vanilla, so mods are foreign to me.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 11, 2015, 02:30:17 pm »

I've heard good things about the Fallout mod. Should I try it out? I usually just play vanilla, so mods are foreign to me.
((if you wanted actual mod advice...I cannot help you.))
Well, you can probably have most of it in vanilla anyway, just launch a missile at the elves and start mass turtling.  It just tweaks probabilities a bit in worldgen for a particular aesthetic.
Sigtext

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 12, 2015, 07:09:05 am »

I still fondly remember an occurrence from years ago.

I had a dwarf go moody and received a message that she had claimed a workshop.

I gave up looking for her after a while, but imagine my surprise when my 3D printer produced a plate!  The image of an image of cheese was... mouthwatering to say the least.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 12, 2015, 07:23:42 am »

I still fondly remember an occurrence from years ago.

I had a dwarf go moody and received a message that she had claimed a workshop.

I gave up looking for her after a while, but imagine my surprise when my 3D printer produced a plate!  The image of an image of cheese was... mouthwatering to say the least.
Yeah, I had that happen once.  Only I had a recursive image.
It was accurate down to molecular levels.
My 3D printer doesn't have that much resolution.
Spooky.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 48