Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 239032 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Architect
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 11:15:53 am »

Played it for like 4 hours and had an awesome conversation about DF and gaming in general with the developers at Rezzed.  I only left out of a sudden sense of how rude I was being to other convention goers :-\

This is going to be absolutely fantastic.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 11:16:54 am »

Played it for like 4 hours and had an awesome conversation about DF and gaming in general with the developers at Rezzed.  I only left out of a sudden sense of how rude I was being to other convention goers :-\

wait..... wait... you have played this already ? O.o
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 11:17:28 am »

Played it for like 4 hours
Lucky bastard. Is it good?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 11:19:30 am »

Definitely.  The campaign is thoughtful and can pack a surprisingly heavy emotional punch or two, the sandbox has loads of intricate systems working together to create a truly emergent experience, and it's just so darn purty :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 11:20:12 am »

Does the game have heart though?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 11:20:23 am »

Definitely.  The campaign is thoughtful and can pack a surprisingly heavy emotional punch or two, the sandbox has loads of intricate systems working together to create a truly emergent experience, and it's just so darn purty :)
Emotions in a top down prison simulator. Odd.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 11:23:20 am »

wait..... wait... you have played this already ? O.o
Highlighted the relevant part. Gaming event.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 11:23:29 am »

how much detail is there in the game ?, also how finished did it seem when you played it ? close to alpha ?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 11:53:35 am »

Did we have a thread for this before, or was that just commandeering the Subversion thread before it died?

I could have sworn I'd made a thread for this, as I remember posting articles about it. A cursory search didn't turn up anything though. Maybe I left that stuff in the old Subversion thread.

Does the game have heart though?

The signs point to yes, as they want you to feel emotions and things regarding the fate of your prisoners.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:55:46 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 12:35:18 pm »

I really need to sleep so I'll just list a few details that I liked.  Prisoners can attempt to sneak knives out of the kitchen (apparently more likely with Prison Industry), you can call in the emergency services, I saw a guy get beaten to a pulp in the showers about 10 mins into the sandbox, each prisoner has an individually weighted hierarchy of needs, it gets dark and harder for your guards to spot prisoners at night, your guards carry torches, furniture is placed individually and certain rooms/features need access to electricity and/or water, a prisoner flew into a rage and smashed up my generator, the kitchen burned down along with a load of rioting prisoners, you can set the schedules to whatever you want, prisoners can try and dig their way out, rooms get filthy if not cleaned often enough, the electric chair takes up a hell of a lot of electricity, you can zoom in and out an awful lot.

As far as heart goes, the campaign (at least up to the second mission) seem to relay the stories of individual prisoners through a series of pretty darn sweet vignettes.  It never got preachy or tried to push one particular viewpoint on you (although a variety are shown through different characters).  It helps to make them seem a little more human, which is always nice.  One little touch that I absolutely adored is that the music, sound effects and UI gradually change to reflect the 'vibe' of the prison.  Clicks become slams and colour drains away when things start turning sour.

This was about 2-3 months back.  The first two missions were finished and the sandbox mode sure seemed fully playable to me.  I'd have happily paid £15-20 to take a copy home with me there and then.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:37:25 pm by lordcooper »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 12:36:21 pm »

Oh. GOD. Yes.

That sounds really bloody amazing.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 12:40:00 pm »

Oh. GOD. Yes.

This.

one thing im interested though is how in depth in each character ? will there be prison gangs, do prisoners or even guards have personality's and other stuff

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 01:24:43 pm »

Oh. GOD. Yes.

This.

one thing im interested though is how in depth in each character ? will there be prison gangs, do prisoners or even guards have personality's and other stuff

IIRC Prisoners have personalities but guards don't. I think prisoners have little thought bubbles or something while they walk around.

It's not like, DF detailed, but it's more detailed than Prison Tycoon for sure.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 01:55:52 pm »

I am so incredibly looking forward to this game, when I saw this I thought there was more news.
PTW

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 02:08:13 pm »

At first I wasn't all that much of a fan of the graphics style. However a few minutes ago I was cleaning up and dropped my Carcassonne board game on the ground and it shocked me how similar they looked.
To me the artstyle now looks more "tile-based-board-game" than the original "blue-print" I saw. Which also seems oddly more pleasing to me, funny how the mind works. Hopefully the clear graphics will also help to visualise what's going on a lot easier as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 107