Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 239126 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Architect (v. a36) - The Last Alpha
« Reply #1350 on: August 31, 2015, 07:57:10 pm »

Doesn't flooding an area pretty much destroys anything electrical?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: August 31, 2015, 09:59:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure not.  Maybe the electrical object has to be broken by other means(like a pissed off prisoner), before fun things happen. 
I think laundry machine execution is a favorite of some folks out there.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1352 on: September 01, 2015, 04:42:22 am »

Water touching electrical equipment used to start a fire but does not do so since they put in the event system.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 01, 2015, 08:52:19 pm »

Did anyone get any Fun random events?
I sold my first prison (that I started on alpha 35) for ~420k, built a new one (which I already dislike due to dumb oversights) with random events on.

My 3 generators are in the same room. There is a cell block adjacent to that room, with around 3 cells directly touching it.
I got the random "generator explosion" event. The generator closest to the cells blew up, destroying walls, cables, furniture, starting a fire, and launching an inmate a few blocks away, almost killing him.
Got the fire engines in and riot police because everyone went freaking insane after that, with maximum danger level. All generators got on fire and exploded since I didn't put sprinklers on.
Good thing I had just actually started the intake and only had 50 MinSec prisoners and was still building the MedSec block, because everyone suddenly had full need for freedom and some other dangerous need.
A firefighter died since I never used them, so I had no idea of their behavior. One of them went directly into the fire and a generator exploded next to him.

In other words, blood and Fun everywhere. I really shouldn't be so derpy when designing stuff. But watching the inmate get launched from his bed was rather amusing.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:54:30 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
Re: Prison Architect (pre-release) - New Game mode announced! Oct. 6 release
« Reply #1354 on: September 26, 2015, 01:56:50 pm »

Introversion is including a mode where you can be a prisoner in your own prison, trying to escape. So awesome. Release on Oct 6.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-26-prison-architect-will-launch-with-a-brand-new-escape-mode

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 26, 2015, 02:32:48 pm »

Also the live demo they mentioned they were going to do is on youtube now. Theres towo new modes, the other being the long-uncontinued story mode.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 28, 2015, 06:29:11 pm »

Have they wiped Subversion from Introversion history or something? They totally glossed over it's tortured and confused development in that talk.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 28, 2015, 06:51:21 pm »

Its more they rarely mention it in general. Subversion continues to sink.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 28, 2015, 07:25:14 pm »

They said in the talk that they'd been working on a demo of PA for two years before releasing the first alpha. We all know this to be a technicality truth.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 28, 2015, 07:26:56 pm »

Part of me is like "So Subversion now, yeah?" but another part of me fears to dream that dream again.

I am curious what the post-PA plan is though. (Post-updates and DLC and blah blah blah that is.) PA seemed like such a big tonal change from the games they normally make. With their success the door is open to them to do literally whatever they want.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 28, 2015, 08:47:41 pm »

Part of me is like "So Subversion now, yeah?" but another part of me fears to dream that dream again.

Thats what I thought about Qud.  unormal kept talking about wanting to make commercially successful games, and he pushed really hard to get Sproggi on Steam and making a little bit of money.  He talked vaguely about maybe coming back to Qud in 20 years sometime maybe so don't ask until then.

Then, on what I can only assume was a lark, he threw Qud on greenlight and got overwhelming support.  So he threw it up on EA and started working on it, and it brought in more than his other purely commercial products.

Maybe now that Introversion has some experience in EA "continuous public development" style publication, they'll give their old pet project a shot in the limelight again?

Of course, the difference between these two scenarios is that Qud was fun but not immediately monetizeable.   Subversion, they shelved that because (as they claimed) they couldn't figure out how to make it fun.

Honestly, I was never sure what they were on about there.  I think everyone expected a classic heist game, distilled in the form of Monico, Invisible Inc, Payday, and a bunch of other things I cant remember the names of from DOS and C64 days.

I don't know WTF kind of game Chris was envisioning (introvisioning?), but I was imagining a 3d version of Impossible Mission from the C64, crossbred with something party/skill based.  Except in a procedural city with some sort of crappy not-really-working faction system tacked on top, but no one would care because it would be a sweet procedural heisting / hacking game.

Maybe they just had a different vision, that they didn't articulate very well?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: September 28, 2015, 09:34:25 pm »

Honestly, I was never sure what they were on about there.  I think everyone expected a classic heist game, distilled in the form of Monico, Invisible Inc, Payday, and a bunch of other things I cant remember the names of from DOS and C64 days.

I think their problem was they'd gone so far down the path of outlining a game and showing a game and mocking stuff up....that when they stopped and looked at what they had vs. what they still needed to do and design, they realized they'd be at deving several years before they'd have anything to show, and that was all crazy levels of procedural generation. This was before the EA-crowdfunded-indie thing had really taken off. Chris had scripted so much of what they showed about Subversion he knew he was far behind the procedural goals he'd set for himself.

I can sympathize. When you go crazy creating some ideal thing you want, and then sort of stop and take stock of what you still have left to do, you can be crushed by how much you have left to do. Especially when you're not getting paid for it. I recall they said PA was just so they could do something simpler to execute.

As it stands right now, if Chris dropped the need for 3d, they could probably have some version...of Subversion out in a couple of years, chalk full of PA tech and ideas. The moment he implemented those wire diagrams....that seemed like pure Subversion.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:12:30 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: September 29, 2015, 01:52:06 am »

I thought the issue was that they couldn't find the game they wanted inside all their shiny tech. They said at least once that their simulation provided no real incentive to perform elaborate heists when the player could just blow a hole in the wall. I suppose they wanted these incentives to rise from the simulation rather than some predefined ranking system.

I got the impression they went about making Subversion arse about face. I've heard time and again from devs saying to focus on the gameplay before working on procedural level generation; Partly because the gameplay dictates how you want the levels and also because nice levels are almost worthless if the gameplay is poor. Then again I hear they managed to salvage some of the tech in PA and they'll probably get use out of it in future too.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: September 29, 2015, 02:27:23 am »

Well, yea, I mean there is a reason why elaborate heist aren't actually done in real life. It really comes down to a cost benefit analysis. The amount of money to preform the complex is almost always worth more then then what you're getting.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 29, 2015, 04:26:29 am »

If you want to make money with a complex heist, you start a pyramid scheme or become a banker.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 107