Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542583 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #8280 on: January 09, 2014, 10:25:48 am »

Timothy was listening a bit more attentively, now, as the being describe its options.
He thought of all the times people hadn't listened to him in the past, and all the bad things that had occurred because of it... Having a better voice might help, who knows. He was still a little worried about the whole thing, still wanted to get home-- but hey, a few more minutes talking to this thing could be worth it!

"A fancy voice? Well, I guess is always peoples what not listenin' to me... dat always not good. Magic-stuff sounds pretty fun, too!"
He smiled for a second, then screwed up his face a bit and asked, in a more timid tone, "Uh, but... just what you's want wif my soul? I mean, what's you be usin' it for? Kind of a 'portant question. I thinks."

>Express interest in a Compelling Voice and/or Magic Powers, but ask just what the creature wants with my soul.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: January 09, 2014, 10:49:27 am »

((Harry, you messed up your quotes in that mini-turn))
"Uh, experimental and demonic, for one. You should talk to Craig about it, he's somewhere around here probably. He's this really cool demonologist guy."

"Oh, come on, Kevin. I just sat down. Do you really want me to just get up and start running about again? Just because I'm made of metal doesn't mean you can run me ragged, you know? Just tell me about it yourself."

"A fancy voice? Well, I guess is always peoples what not listenin' to me... dat always not good. Magic-stuff sounds pretty fun, too!"
He smiled for a second, then screwed up his face a bit and asked, in a more timid tone, "Uh, but... just what you's want wif my soul? I mean, what's you be usin' it for? Kind of a 'portant question. I thinks."

>Express interest in a Compelling Voice and/or Magic Powers, but ask just what the creature wants with my soul.

"WHAT I WILL DO WITH YOUR SOUL DEPENDS MOSTLY ON WHAT YOU DO WITH IT FIRST, IN A MANNER OF SPEAKING. THERE'S TWO ALTERNATIVES, WHEN YOU REALLY GET DOWN TO IT. YOU SEE, ALL SOULS HAVE A WEALTH OF... POWER IN THEM. THIS ACCUMULATES WITH ADVENTURE, EXPERIENCES, STRONG EMOTIONS, THAT SORT OF THING. AS I UNDERSTAND IT, ANYWAY. SO, SHOULD YOU HAPPEN TO LIVE LONG, PROSPER AND DO GREAT THINGS - AND WITH MY BOON, IT IS ENTIRELY POSSIBLE THAT YOU WILL - I WON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING AT ALL WITH IT, I'LL JUST..."

The person scratches its chin doubtfully, pausing for a moment.

"... TURN IT IN? NO, THAT SOUNDS WRONG. SUFFICE IT TO SAY I'LL GET GOOD THINGS FOR IT AT ABSOLUTELY NO FUTURE COST TO YOU. LITERALLY. IF YOU DON'T GIVE YOUR SOUL TO ME, IT GOES TO THE GODS INSTEAD AND THEY'LL DO MOSTLY THE SAME THING. SO BY SIGNING YOUR SOUL OVER TO ME, YOU LOSE NOTHING, PRETTY MUCH, AND GAIN A WHOLE LOT. IT'S SORT OF LIKE A REWARD FOR FINDING ME AND NOT BEING A TWIT, BASICALLY."

The demon then raises one finger.

"HOWEVER! IF YOU DO NOT HAPPEN TO LIVE LONG ENOUGH FOR THE INVESTMENT TO ACTUALLY PAY OFF, YOU MAY GET USED AS A DEMONIC MINION FOR A WHILE. KIND OF LIKE THESE FINE MEN AND WOMEN GROUPED AROUND YOU," it says, indicating all the people surrounding you. All of them seem supernaturally beautiful to you, and they all smile at you brightly when their eyes meet yours. "IT'S NOT FOREVER, OF COURSE. JUST LONG ENOUGH TO FILL YOU WITH A VARIETY OF IMPRESSIONS SPREAD OVER A LONG TIME - SADLY, IT TAKES A MITE LONGER TO DO IT HERE THAN TO DO IT ON YOUR OWN. SO BOTH YOU AND I WILL LOSE SOME TIME THAT WAY. BUT IF WE COOPERATE, AND YOU SUCCESSFULLY FIND INTERESTING THINGS TO DO AND ACHIEVE OVER A LONG TIME PERIOD, WE BOTH WIN, SO TO SPEAK! ISN'T THAT GREAT?"

And a very special turn for Innsmothe, the missing link!

Under the sea...

Scott, having met only failure so far, takes a different approach - he thinks first! He wonders how one is to manipulate the body from the soul... theoretically, what he is lies in the soul. He can control his mind, and apparently, as Art told him, the mind shapes the soul and vice versa, depending on circumstances. As he knows, if he believes hard enough, he can regain sight miraculously. But what else can he regain?

He thinks of Justine momentarily. How did she become a ghost? She died, and her body was nowhere near where she was raised. How did the Artiste do it? Presumably it involved pulling her soul out of the aether or wherever it is souls go when the bodies that hold them are damaged beyond the point where the soul is held in place. And when she was called, she appeared with a body. A spectral body, but a body nevertheless. Where did it come from? Her mind? Some form of magic? Her soul? If it's the first or last, Scott may be able to do something similar... but that would probably require doing something drastic. Removing his soul from his body, maybe? That would be like willingly dying, in a way. He gets the feeling that's not generally something that's safe to do.

Then again, he might not have many alternatives.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8282 on: January 09, 2014, 10:57:51 am »

Shrug and go again to the cargo hold. Concentrate to do mass focus creation.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: January 09, 2014, 11:16:33 am »

"It was really... colorful. And there was this beige streak that can transform you..."

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: January 09, 2014, 11:19:50 am »

"It was really... colorful. And there was this beige streak that can transform you..."

"Really? A beige streak? Where does the demon come in, then?"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: January 09, 2014, 11:25:17 am »

"It sort of was the demon. The demonologist called it the Aspect of Appeal"

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8286 on: January 09, 2014, 11:26:50 am »

These people certainly didn't look too unhappy, for "demonic minions". Good enough.
Timothy decided, all at once, to trust this odd figure. Hesitation was getting boring, after all, and he had things to do!
"Ehhh... alright, den!" He looked around the little group, his face split in a ghastly grin.
"Sign me up! I wants fancy voice with magic an' things, an' then I's go home to help Hansel."

>Happily sign away my soul in exchange for a FANCY VOICE and UNTOLD POWER.

And hopefully a ticket home, too.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: January 09, 2014, 11:30:18 am »

"It sort of was the demon. The demonologist called it the Aspect of Appeal"

"Ooh, how alliterative. Never heard of it, though. And I know a whole lot of demons, trust me."

These people certainly didn't look too unhappy, for "demonic minions". Good enough.
Timothy decided, all at once, to trust this odd figure. Hesitation was getting boring, after all, and he had things to do!
"Ehhh... alright, den!" He looked around the little group, his face split in a ghastly grin.
"Sign me up! I wants fancy voice with magic an' things, an' then I's go home to help Hansel."

>Happily sign away my soul in exchange for a FANCY VOICE and UNTOLD POWER.

And hopefully a ticket home, too.

The demon is obviously delighted.

"OKAY! GREAT! SO, YOU WANT A MODIFICATION OF YOUR VOICE - WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU WANT IT TO DO? COMPEL PEOPLE? SEDUCE THEM? SOMETHING ELSE? OR WILL YOU LEAVE IT UP TO ME TO DECIDE? AND WHAT KIND OF MAGIC DO YOU WANT? THE BODY LANGUAGE THING, OR SOMETHING ELSE?"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: January 09, 2014, 11:45:42 am »

"Well, he said it was new research... Craig, that is."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: January 09, 2014, 11:45:58 am »

"Uhhh..." Timothy's eyes glazed over as he was bombarded with questions.
He was already regretting agreeing to this. So many big words... couldn't anyone just keep things simple in this weird place?!

"I just wants people ta agrees with me. When 'sportant, you knows? An' I isn't knows nuffing about magics. Just gives the house special or somethin'." He thought for a moment, frowning, then his eyes lit up and he added, "Wait! I gots it-- gimme somethin' what good for helping peoples! Yeah, Helping-People-Magic!"
He grinned as he said it, nodding his head a few times. That sounded great! Timothy liked helping people!

>Ask for a compelling voice and Helping-People-Magic. Healing, maybe?
Booze is Life for Yoink

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: January 09, 2014, 11:54:29 am »

Practice war chanting loudly.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8291 on: January 09, 2014, 02:34:15 pm »

"Well, he said it was new research... Craig, that is."

"What was the demon like? Interesting? What did it ask for in return for the transformation?"

"Uhhh..." Timothy's eyes glazed over as he was bombarded with questions.
He was already regretting agreeing to this. So many big words... couldn't anyone just keep things simple in this weird place?!

"I just wants people ta agrees with me. When 'sportant, you knows? An' I isn't knows nuffing about magics. Just gives the house special or somethin'." He thought for a moment, frowning, then his eyes lit up and he added, "Wait! I gots it-- gimme somethin' what good for helping peoples! Yeah, Helping-People-Magic!"
He grinned as he said it, nodding his head a few times. That sounded great! Timothy liked helping people!

>Ask for a compelling voice and Helping-People-Magic. Healing, maybe?

"HMM... HMM! SO, COMPELLING VOICE. GOT IT. AS FOR YOUR SECOND REQUEST, I'LL AGREE TO GIVE YOU ONE OF TWO THINGS - ONE IS THE POWER TO GRANT SOMEONE WHAT THEY MOST REQUIRE AT THE MOMENT, THE OTHER IS THE POWER TO GRANT... LIMITED WISHES! EACH OF THOSE WOULD BE OF GREAT HELP TO CERTAIN PEOPLE, BUT I WOULDN'T LIKE TO GIVE YOU BOTH. IT WOULD BE UNSPORTING."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8292 on: January 09, 2014, 02:35:43 pm »

"It thought I was a kitten, but didn't say much else. It didn't ask for anything, actually. I guess it just likes making people look good."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: January 09, 2014, 02:36:51 pm »

"It thought I was a kitten, but didn't say much else. It didn't ask for anything, actually. I guess it just likes making people look good."

"Sounds suspiciously altruistic for a demon. You sure it didn't take anything?"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: January 09, 2014, 02:48:34 pm »

"Not that I know."

Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 719