Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 540886 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9570 on: April 14, 2014, 07:18:08 pm »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Deceptive? It was truly a sucker punch to the desk's earlier happiness, his body floating a bit lower to the ground at the remark. Morton perked when Craig and Gub defended his methodology, regaining some of the wind in his sails, so to speak, although he was particularly disappointed to hear that Sigmund was considering such harsh and, as Gub said, barbaric methods.

Remembering that Craig cannot hear Gub, the desk faced him and offered a quick, quiet laconic of what the entity said to the tailor. "Good group Gub spoke, expressing dislike for good sir Scott's plan." While rough, hopefully it would help keep him a bit further in the loop. The desk turned his attention back to the rest of the group.

"I'm afraid I don't see why my methodology is deceptive, I'd only be telling them the truth and see if I can persuade them. If some truly don't wish to go, I most certainly won't force the matter. It would be most unbecoming, not to mention terribly unkind to do so." Morton clarified his position to Justine.

"Is it truly so hard to reach peaceful terms, or to at least seek them?" The accusation didn't hold any edge or bite, more honest confusion and a slight melancholy at the actions of those around him.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: April 15, 2014, 12:40:26 am »

"I think this is it, actually. Not sure, though."

Darren noticed the dejected expression of his companion and felt a pang of guilt. The guy(?) had helped him break in, helped him get past, and now he was getting nothing for it. Darren would have to make up for it somehow.

He turns to his friend.
"Hey, uh, I got something to tell you. I don't know if I can hold up to what you expect of me, so, is there anyway I can make it up to you. Like, uh, I can show you how to misdirect people, or how to fix a deck, or something."

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:42:45 am by Spinal_Taper »

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: April 15, 2014, 02:31:55 am »

"Then I apologise Gub, you just seem the type that would enjoy efficiency and not having to rely on loose contingency. Anyway, Morton, we should be off. If the others had the same thoughts as I, we may not need kind words... but a spade."
Walk together.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: April 15, 2014, 01:59:38 pm »

~I'm not going to get in yet another discussion with you, but I am going to say that I was going to get moving once I finished convincing Art~

~of course you were, sigmund! and we helped you convince him!~

Also check the memories of this body.

You remember a surprising amount of things - how to play the drum, how getting educated in magic really sucks if you have no talent for it, how you hate your parents, what kissing a dude feels like, the accomplishment that resulted in you and your sisters receiving a set of magical instruments and more! Pretty much a whole young person's worth of memories. Certainly more than enough entertainment for a whole bunch of afternoon walks. Sweet.

"I'm afraid I don't see why my methodology is deceptive, I'd only be telling them the truth and see if I can persuade them. If some truly don't wish to go, I most certainly won't force the matter. It would be most unbecoming, not to mention terribly unkind to do so." Morton clarified his position to Justine.

"Is it truly so hard to reach peaceful terms, or to at least seek them?" The accusation didn't hold any edge or bite, more honest confusion and a slight melancholy at the actions of those around him.

"Are you going to tell these mages that as soon as they come here they'll become one with the gub? Because that is what is going to happen, you know."

~we still fail to see how that is a bad thing!~

"I think this is it, actually. Not sure, though."

"Well, good on you! What are you going to do with it?"

"Hey, uh, I got something to tell you. I don't know if I can hold up to what you expect of me, so, is there anyway I can make it up to you. Like, uh, I can show you how to misdirect people, or how to fix a deck, or something."

"Nah. How about instead, I show you a couple things? It'll be a learning experience. And pretty fun, I think."

"On the altar while I watch?"

"Yeah, unless he minds. This is gonna need witnesses if he goes through with it."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9574 on: April 15, 2014, 02:10:14 pm »

~Let me say something that I got from experience. Multiple causes may make it to be better to be feared than loved, but being hated is never a viable option. Of course, that applies only when you are dealing with beings that not necessarily have to agree with you. Are you too used to agreeing with yourselves? I get that sensation sometimes.~

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9575 on: April 15, 2014, 02:25:33 pm »

~Let me say something that I got from experience. Multiple causes may make it to be better to be feared than loved, but being hated is never a viable option. Of course, that applies only when you are dealing with beings that not necessarily have to agree with you. Are you too used to agreeing with yourselves? I get that sensation sometimes.~

~we get the feeling that you have misunderstood our relationship, sigmund! you must understand that we wish to be rid of you! and you wish to be rid of us! and we wish to get something from you so our losses in the process are minimal and so we do not need to take the much nastier route of simply eliminating your skyman master when he least expects it, for most of his minions are impossible to join with the gub due to the prior incident! our only objective right now is to get you moving and motivated as quickly as possible so that we can get rid of you and your useless friends post-haste! and you are not exactly in a position to disagree! veer from your path for too long, and your master will lose his patience, and probably tear out your souls! or perhaps we will eliminate him if he starts trouble! we are wise to his tricks now! and our proficiency in magic is growing!~

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: April 15, 2014, 02:31:12 pm »

((WAIT WAIT WAIT. Are we a wizard sisters band now?))
Check the memories of this body.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9577 on: April 15, 2014, 02:37:31 pm »

((WAIT WAIT WAIT. Are we a wizard sisters band now?))
Check the memories of this body.

Oh gods, you have three disparate sets of memories now! Childhoods mixing together! Jesting and entertaining and wizardry all over the place! Well, you guess it's not that bad, you know, but you're pretty sure the owner of this body wasn't a mage. Just had a magical instrument that's been conspicuously looted by now, along with all other valuables. And you also remember a bunch of other things - your accumulated memories make for about two or two and a half accumulated trips through puberty, approximately two of them as a woman, for instance. Just a fun fact to remember, you guess.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9578 on: April 15, 2014, 03:32:33 pm »

((Harry, did you miss my action or did I only imagine I posted it again?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9579 on: April 15, 2014, 06:19:30 pm »

~That's definitely good to know! I honestly thought that you wanted us to stay in the city forever. I have to add that I'm glad to know that you are a cold-blooded mind, rather than the somewhat unexperienced and childish yet intelligent being that you seemed to be when I just met you. Your lack of care about us is completely explained now. Now I can work better knowing that it will be mutually beneficial for both of us.~

Sigmund then turned to the rest of the group:

-So, for what I could take from the memories of this body, we are a trio of musicians. That is good as a fake identity, but I don't have anything on myself right now, which makes me wonder what happened to my instruments.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9580 on: April 15, 2014, 06:40:50 pm »

Keep going an keep a lookout for anything that could serve as a decent weapon

"I dont have any instruments aside from this flute and I dont think its magic here take a look"

Pass the flute to Tomcost
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:24:01 pm by killerhellhound »
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9581 on: April 15, 2014, 06:42:46 pm »

Keep going an keep a lookout for anything that could serve as a decent weapon
((Pssst, I'm asking if someone has any instruments))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: April 15, 2014, 08:09:19 pm »

"I... No, I'm quite afraid I didn't know." Morton was taken off guard with that, not entirely sure what she meant. Become one with Gub? While Scott may be wandering off, this seemed like something that Morton should perhaps stick around to listen to. "What exactly do you mean, good mage Justine? Are they to 'merge' with good group Gub, cooperate, or..." The tea apostle sounded concerned, thinking that he's not getting the full picture here.

Ask Justine for further clarification!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: April 16, 2014, 06:39:11 am »

"I dont have any instruments aside from this flute and I dont think its magic here take a look"

((Look at this:

Nevertheless, the call of loot is not to be ignored - the other two dead ladies seem to have about six coppers and five silvers between them, not to mention a lute and a bongo, both of a very high quality. When the three instruments are in close proximity, Mark notices an odd glow begin to emanate from them. Hm.

You looted our bodies!))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9584 on: April 16, 2014, 02:47:58 pm »

On the southwestern road out of Mothdale...

Sigmund is pleased to discover that he and the gub appear to be on the same page at last!

~That's definitely good to know! I honestly thought that you wanted us to stay in the city forever. I have to add that I'm glad to know that you are a cold-blooded mind, rather than the somewhat unexperienced and childish yet intelligent being that you seemed to be when I just met you. Your lack of care about us is completely explained now. Now I can work better knowing that it will be mutually beneficial for both of us.~

~we are glad that you have understood your grave misconceptions! and you must forgive our changing disposition! we have only been fully sentient for a week at most in total! but we are improving!~

Sigmund guesses that explains a few things, at least. He turns to his loyal compatriots Kevin and Mark, who seem quite unengaged in any complex braining, and instead seem to be proceeding along the road like a bunch of well-behaved fur traders.

"So, for what I could take from the memories of this body, we are a trio of musicians. That is good as a fake identity, but I don't have anything on myself right now, which makes me wonder what happened to my instruments," he says, and Mark doesn't turn to look at him while he speaks, probably because he doesn't actually need to in order to see him clearly.

"I don't have any instruments aside from this flute, and I don't think it's magic, here, take a look," Mark lies bold-facedly even though it's clearly apparent that he seems to be carrying three instruments in total and that all three of them seem to be glowing. Sigmund does notice that the glow lessens considerably when Mark hands him the flute, however.

"So, while you three are working your 'trio of musicians' thing, do I just hide in the bushes or something?" Art asks as Sigmund examines the flute and plays a short tune on it, successfully realizing that he can probably play it with a reasonable level of skill. He decides not to question Mark further, since it kind of freaks him out when he talks. Mark's not supposed to talk. It's totally a rule.

At any rate (but at a quick pace), they eventually walk the requisite distance to the fair town of Eckledun. Mark, for his part, spoke very little during most of the journey, though he did wander off the road for a few moments and then returned with what appeared to be a sharpened axe fashioned from animal bones, which would be all fine and good if bits of animal skin, muscle and tendon weren't still hanging off it in places.

The town of Eckledun, rather wonderfully, seems to be fairly sizable! Quite a bit larger than one would expect at this distance from a city like Mothdale, and it looks highly vibrant and busy, to be honest, though it is also apparent that many of the buildings seem very secured, and a lot of the structures incorporate much more steel into them than one typically sees in your average seaside town. A lot of the taller buildings seem to have an outer frame made purely of steel. Or at least the travelers suppose it's steel - could be any other similar-looking metal, really, but it hardly matters. Most of the windows are barred as well.

Finally, even before the gang get inside the town itself, they notice a rather sizable bunch of camps some distance outside of it - surrounding it, in fact. A lot of the people there look somewhat distressed.

At the Red Tower of Power...

Niklas believes that this may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship as he regards the corpulent little lifemage in front of him.

"Good enough for me!" he says to the intriguing possibility of there being lizards deep down below, and heads down with the kid to find the mystical treasure of the great god Patricia or whatever. The downward journey is long and arduous, especially for one as hungry as Niklas. But the will of Patricia is not to be defied, and they reach the basement eventually! They find it to be rather dark and expansive, with irregularly-shaped hallways leading every which way. Only some of them may contain magical lizards, Niklas suspects.

"I think one of these passages has many spiders in it. Many, many spiders! I hope, at least! I put two there a year ago! Boy, were they big then."

In the streets of Mothdale...

"Then I apologise Gub, you just seem the type that would enjoy efficiency and not having to rely on loose contingency. Anyway, Morton, we should be off. If the others had the same thoughts as I, we may not need kind words... but a spade," Scott ominously remarks as Morton seeks further clarification.

"I... No, I'm quite afraid I didn't know. What exactly do you mean, good mage Justine? Are they to 'merge' with good group Gub, cooperate, or..." he trails off, somewhat unclear on the business the gub tend to perpetrate.

"I mean that they will become part of the gub, probably irreversibly. Merge with their collective mind, like we did for those three days we blanked out. They'll lose all individuality and independent thought, pretty much. And I wonder if you're going to include that important fact in the sales pitch, Morton. Or did you somehow not guess that this is what the gub do yet?"

~that's a very negative way to put it, justine! while it is true that the gub make all decisions as a single entity, the individual identities of its constituents live on forever! even when the body itself perishes!~

Scott is a bit disappointed that nobody seems to presently be going anywhere.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:39:25 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 719