Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542931 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #10395 on: February 17, 2015, 05:24:08 pm »

Not really much, it seems.

"Indeed. Would you consider yourself more resourceful than me, then? More imaginative? Less constrained by outdated notions of decency and morality?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10396 on: February 17, 2015, 06:36:08 pm »

Yep.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10397 on: February 18, 2015, 02:55:02 pm »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10398 on: February 18, 2015, 03:06:44 pm »

Eat the combined power of all magic and cooking!

((That response is actually rather hilarious. Normally the warning of the consequences of godlike power has more impact on the people involved but in this case it's 'oh, you're a bigger nutcase than I am? Go ahead then.'))
Sig! Onol

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10399 on: February 18, 2015, 06:46:44 pm »

Idea!

How to Obtain a Large Amount of Power In Five Easy Steps:

Step 1: Be a ghost that was a knight when he/she/it was alive.
Step 2: Steal Acquire a suit of armor and possibly a sword.
Step 3: Float into the armor.
Step 4: Get the armor and possible sword enchanted while you are within the armor.
Step 5: Proceed to laugh because you are now a effectively a jedi/sith (minus non-telekinetic powers) that is nigh-invulnerable (ghosts are unaffected by normal weapons, and even enchanted weapons and magic have to get through the enchanted (possibly with unbreakability) armor) and bypasses the ghost's main weakness (by interacting with stuff with the armor). You also still have the manipulation/distraction potential that is Ghost Sound and an escape plan in Specter Teleportation if you are desperate enough to leave your armor behind to get away.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:08:24 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10400 on: February 18, 2015, 09:45:22 pm »

Idea!

How to Obtain a Large Amount of Power In Five Easy Steps:

Step 1: Be a ghost that was a knight when he/she/it was alive.
Step 2: Steal Acquire a suit of armor and possibly a sword.
Step 3: Float into the armor.
Step 4: Get the armor and possible sword enchanted while you are within the armor.
Step 5: Proceed to laugh because you are now a effectively a jedi/sith (minus non-telekinetic powers) that is nigh-invulnerable (ghosts are unaffected by normal weapons, and even enchanted weapons and magic have to get through the enchanted (possibly with unbreakability) armor) and bypasses the ghost's main weakness (by interacting with stuff with the armor). You also still have the manipulation/distraction potential that is Ghost Sound and an escape plan in Specter Teleportation if you are desperate enough to leave your armor behind to get away.
((Until a Necromancer changes your body by that of a snal and stomps you, or a transmuter directly transforms you into nothing. Nobody is safe here. Nobody))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10401 on: February 19, 2015, 12:27:09 pm »

((Implying trying to get enchanted stuff wont cause your horrible death))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10402 on: February 19, 2015, 12:43:54 pm »

It isn't foolproof of course, but if you try to stay away from mages and priests, you should be (mostly) fine. Is it possible to get armor enchanted to be anti-magic? If so, can it be one-way so you would be able to use your ghostly powers (and not be dispelled because you yourself are magic)? Also, do priests have the ability to turn/rebuke undead in this setting?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:46:32 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10403 on: February 19, 2015, 04:48:27 pm »

Atop a tree in the treacherous wilderness...

Progress is almost within Sigmund's grasp! All he needs to do is climb down and-

[Climbing roll: 1-1]

-immediately fumble a step and fall about ten meters through an area oddly clear of branches, though he does impact the side of the tree, knocking his insides about a little and scratching his underbelly on the bark before getting a faceful of topsoil and cruel gravity.

[Endurance roll: 6-1]

The topsoil, fortunately, is willing to not break his poor badger neck, though he feels very sore all of a sudden. Levitating down the phylactery in due time, Sigmund then proceeds to his destination, leaving this whole business as far behind him as his conscience will allow. Now is the time for the rebound, not dwelling on past mistakes!

He reaches the source of the smoke in due time, and realizes that it appears to be Eckledun! This is fantastic news, though Sigmund can't help but feel the town looks a little different now. For one, there's pink spires all over the place, he doesn't remember those. And he can't quite hear too many people, either. Aside from a couple falling down from the sky, of course, burning up as they exceed terminal velocity against all kind attempts of deceleration by the air around them.

At the deadest of ends...

Mark brilliantly suggests that the group probably shouldn't stand there and gawk.

"Well, good news is that now we know where the route isn't, which leaves only where the route is, yes?" Morton starts to agree in longer form than Mark would approve of. "Yes, I do agree. It is time we bid haste, now properly refreshed and welcoming of adventure!"

"Let's get out of the way while we're at it, too," says Wilma, and the four of them, Mr. T included, move out of the dead end and inspect their surroundings. There's the cobbled street, quiet buildings, dark alleyways... the latter seems preferable at the moment for a good mix of mobility options and obfuscation, so the group moves in there, and immediately notices something amiss in there.

First off, the alleyway appears to lead into a yard of some kind, probably a shared backyard of the six or so houses in this block. This is not unusual in itself, but the backyard seems to be particularly noteworthy in that it looks unusually pink. A tree is sinking into the pink ground deeper in there, and things that remind Mark of wooden lily pads (and nobody else, since a wooden lily pad is frankly absurd) in shape, color and texture cover its surface in places. Tiny whirlpools of blood and ice cubes can be seen here and there on the strange terrain formation.

Mr. T, for his part, seems to approve of this newest discovery, as he ceases his consistent hovering over the party and just moves toward the pink plaza, maintaining a constant altitude of three meters, though he seems to blink back a meter or so every few moments.

"We're not getting out of here, are we?" Wilma remarks hopelessly.

Deep beneath Eckledun...

Scott shrugs, and the earth shrugs and groans with him. He ascends, and he ascends alone. It feels like this is taking a while. A real damn while.

And what's worse, he seems to have come out somewhere entirely unexpected! There's trees, and holes in the ground, and a really shady-looking tree. Hostile country, no doubt. Is Scott prepared for the dangers that await him here?

At a possibly dangerous river crossing...

Kevin throws caution to the wind and, despite probably being able to reach the bottom of the river the whole way through the crossing, swims for it anyway just to be sure. The swim is blissfully uneventful, and while the water is colder than expected, and the wind on the other side terribly inhospitable now that there's liquid to evaporate off Kevin, on the bright side he is clear of the village!

Possibly less fortunately, he notices that someone appears to be looking at him from one of the farmhouses. It's a young man with a bushy beard and well-combed hair, holding an axe in both of his hands, ready to chop a bit of firewood in half this fine afternoon. His mouth is slightly open as he observes Kevin, and then he quickly looks away as the ex-jester returns the gaze and resumes work on the firewood. He seems to have closed his eyes and blushed a bit.

In the chambers of King Fintel...

Niklas, spirited as always, bites down on the haze, his face sinking into its green fractalicious form. He inhales and swallows the power at the same time, and yet does not choke. He is keenly aware that he knows more. Not the full picture, but a sizable chunk of it. His glow intensifies, and the king, for the first time that Niklas notices, casts a deep black shadow on the wall behind him. There are a lot of thoughts to be thought right now, and a lot of things to be done. He has an inkling of what exactly they are - he needs to eat more of this thing. He takes another bite, and another. Somewhere along the way he shoves the cooking thing into his throat, swallowing greedily. There is much to be eaten here, and Niklas digs into it with little restraint.

In less time than he thought it would take, the secrets have been all gobbled up, and as he digests them, Niklas burns bright as a star, and the lines of metaphor and reality begin to blur. All magic is opening up to him. The unseen realms of human experience lay bare before him, and reveal the even more obscure realms beyond them. Places far and unknown, places that he could go if he wished. And he sees things that are further still. Oh, the things he could create now. The possibilities, the inevitabilities.

"I suppose this is happening, then," the king remarks nonchalantly, looking away from Niklas' painful radiance. "Ascension. Or is that descent? Any insights, maybe? Thoughts? Acknowledgements? A speech, if I'm lucky enough?"

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: February 19, 2015, 08:47:34 pm »

Not so much, no. Ascension or descent imply up or down. This is just ... becoming more. Seeing more.
I can do many things with this gift, and my mind churns with glee at the possibilities I will inflict upon the world imminently. But I am reminded of something from very long ago, in another lifetime. One that propelled me on this route to begin with. What I've started I must end, after all - I have to kill the ninjas. Then my mortal aspirations shall be more or less complete.

Gaze through my knowledge of the world and find the secret realm of the Ninjas that dishonourably defeated my father and made his shame manifest in me all those years ago. Go there and inform them of their wrongdoing. Then obliterate them and their home.

((Well then, I have no idea what's gonna happen next. Might as well actually get around to doing something Niklas has wanted to do for a long while now!))
Sig! Onol

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10405 on: February 19, 2015, 10:00:57 pm »

The first thing Sigmund thought after seeing the destroyed town was blaming someone, because that is the best way of overcoming frustration. Unfortunately, besides Mark, he didn't have anybody to blame. And Mark, not having any kind of control over magic, was out of the equation.

Anyway, he probably shouldn't be near this place. No, at least not near pink magic. It surely had to be that chaotic kind of magic, as there would not be any kind of rational goal involving that twisted thing.

On the other hand, the phenomenon is quite... interesting. Surely, if the place where is standing now was not affected yet, it would take time for the Pink to reach the place, if it extends at all. Maybe this is a nice place from which to observe...

Look into the apparent chaos of the picture. Study the phenomenon. If chaos is related to Pink, maybe it is not chaos at all, as true chaos would ignore any kind of patterns. Pink is already a pattern, and there must be more, hidden somewhere.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10406 on: February 20, 2015, 02:48:41 am »

Scott will examine the trees and surrounding area and identify where he is according to his readings of taxonomy, world cartography, geography and geology from his husbands library.

[Milking my background for all it's worth here. >.>]
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: February 20, 2015, 04:52:38 am »

Mark seeing the PINK knows what to do. Namly write a strongly worded letter to Morton."You know the most about the pink so I'll ask this, WHAT DID YOU DO?" then turn to Wilma and give her a hug to reassure her we will get out.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10408 on: February 20, 2015, 01:42:36 pm »

Kevin casually strolls up to the guy.
"Why, hello. What's your name?"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: February 21, 2015, 05:18:53 pm »

By the way, Xantalos, you might want to remove the mind-control fungus before ascending/descending/whatever.
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 719