Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 221833 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #405 on: November 24, 2012, 10:09:54 am »

Hm? Reread the update carefully. :)

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 24, 2012, 10:22:48 am »

Oh, missed the last paragraph...disregard the previous action.
Reconnaissance.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 24, 2012, 10:42:37 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, missed the last paragraph...disregard the previous action.
Reconnaissance.

About two years ago, from your perspective of course, your older brother Grimehammer visited the family lair intent on taking you away from your father's violent outbursts, your mother's defeatism, and the loathing of your aunts and cousins. He failed in the end, leaving with only a few broken bones courtesy of your father, but during the time he was around he took you out to hunt. As you lived in the middle of the woods your target would always be elven retreats; just like Everpine.

They layout is the same as it would be at any traditional-style retreat: The only difference being the large cloth signs blowing in the wind that announce in several languages that 'trespassers and forest defilers will be hung and eaten.'

The border of the settlement is sorrounded by trees and bushes magically coaxed into growing into the shape of a 9 foot high wall, which you easily leap ontop of for a better view. Looking down you quickly confirm that the inside of the wall produces fruit and berries; the elves food source.

Most of the trees are residential; home to a married couple of elves and their kids. Some of these residential trees are connected by platforms or magically altered branches. You know from experience that small industrial operations, such as weaving and home brewing, occur on these 'connectors'.

Creeping along the wall you spot the guard-house, the only building in town built from imported dwarven stone. You know that most elven settlements don't keep more than 5-10 guards at any given time, but that even the civilians living in an isolated forest retreat  will have some sort of combat experience.

Infiltrating this settlement, even at night, will be a tad difficult. The elves seem on edge. The wall is patrolled by guards and what appear to be civilian watchmen: Every so often you must jump to the ground on one side or another to avoid detection.

You find a spot on the wall from which you can view the town's 'sacred' trees. You spot two ancient Yews glowing a faint purple in the dark; a side effect of all the ancient rituals that they have housed over the years. These trees are not quite old enough to ignite a mass genocide spell.

Near the ritual trees are two large Willows. Bachelor trees. One home to the unmarried male elves and one to the females. You flash back to Grimehammer's explanation that he gave the first time you encountered such a sight.

"Elves are a strange breed brother. Like us time does not age them, and they will only die as a result of their own idiocy or misfortune. Because their lives tend to be long, they don't mate for life. Most have their first marriage arranged by their parents, start a family, raise the young, and terminate the marriage on the 50th or 70th Anniversary. They then spend a few decades enjoying themselves in the wilderness, or coming to better understand the world as part of an army or foreign culture."

You recall your brother's devious smirk as he continued. "When an elf is ready to start a second, third, or later family, they head to a retreat and live in a communal bachelor tree until they find somebody. These trees are great places to snatch up a mate for children of the night like us; all the elves there have plenty of life experience and skills, and few local ties. Dad caught our mother in such a tree, and I likewise followed suit and found my first mate in one as well."

You sigh and shake your head. With the recent exception of Alice, Gorehammer was the only being whose' company you truly enjoyed. You will never see him again.

Shaking off the depressing thoughts you return to the situation at hand. You are likely to be in this neck of the woods for awhile so you might as well find a place to settle down. You could ask the plants and animals about nearby caves you could use; You could also try to locate and seize a Satellite tree outside of retreat limits, where elven families involved in heavy disruptive industry such as ranching or wood coaxing live.

The sun will be up in a few hours, night is running out.

*sigh* "Best get settled in."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 24, 2012, 10:49:29 pm »

Locate some place no more than "an hour" outside of the town tht we can lay low in.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 24, 2012, 10:49:59 pm »

Ask the plants and animals about a nearby cave and anything we might find out about the retreat's defences.

We need to decide if we're just going to stealthily take out a handful of elves or go for the big prize and try and eliminate the entire retreat.

It might also be a good idea to practice our fire manipulation in the cave (should we find one), unless we need to sleep.  One possible plan might be to take out the committed guards in as isolated a fashion as we can, then torch the retreat and start killing panicking elves directly with magic.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 24, 2012, 10:58:20 pm »

Or...not kill elves at all.
But that's long-term.
Sig

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 24, 2012, 11:17:22 pm »

I agree. He never actually ordered us to kill elves, only that we couldn't come back until we had 4 souls. lets practice our animal empathy a bit and then send foghorn a message.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 25, 2012, 12:09:56 am »

Character:

Ask the plants and animals about a nearby cave and anything we might find out about the retreat's defences.

You walk west from the town border for 45 minutes before kneeling down and digging out some worms to chat with. Sadly the bugs are uncooperative, and the few thoughts you are able to eek out of them are irrelevant to your situation. 1d20 = 7 + 1(Tattoos) = 8

As color begins to fill the easter sky pre dawn, you turn to the trees in an act of desperation, begging them for the information that you need. None of the trees mention anything about shelter, but you swear you hear a voice whisper in your ear that an elf often passes by your current location in the mid morning almost every day. 1d20 = 11 - 3(Untrained Skill) + 1(Tattoos) = 9

You are also getting a bit drowsy; you should catch some sleep within the next couple of days. Hunger also rears it's ugly head. It might start causing you problems if you don't have a hearty meal by sundown.

(Damn. The RNG god is not happy. I might have to start fudging rolls if this keeps up much longer.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 25, 2012, 12:14:15 am »

Hide in a tree. Camouflage self.
No way this could go wrong!
Sig

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 25, 2012, 12:31:25 am »

also, pocket the soul catcher so that if we do kill, we don't deplete the quota.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 25, 2012, 02:59:13 am »

Character:

You pocket your soul catcher, putting your old Elf Tooth Necklace back on, before springing up into a tree and blending in with camouflage to the best of your ability. You settle in for a long wait.

---

The elf enters your field of vision, wandering slowly in your direction and talking to the trees as he goes. As he moves closer to your position he begins to nervously scan the canapoy. "Show yourself night beast.... I know you are up there somewhere!"

The damn trees ratted you out. Still, the elf dosn't seem to know exactly where you are, so you hold tight, hopeing for him to pass so that you may drop down behind him. At first your plan seems to be working; you are well hidden behind layers of leaf, bark, and camouflaged flesh. Just as you begin to think you are in the clear however the tree you are in move's its branches in an unatrual and uncanny fashion, catching you exposed in a dramatic pillar of sunlight for the elf to see.

Your Roll: 1d20 = 8 + 4(Skill) + 2(Camouflage) = 14
His Roll: 1d20 = 14 + 4(Skill) = 18

Your target locks eyes with you. He is unarmed other than a walking stick and a pouch of something or another. "Great Juniper Groves... I havn't seen one of your lot in almost a thousand years. I thought I was just dealing with a werebeing or something. You caught me unarmed and unprepared beast. Would you be willing to let me buy my life in gold or flesh? If not... I guess I've had a good run..."

The shocked elf closes his eyes and kneels submissively. He his a bit afraid, but not overwhelmingly so. You are hungry but intrigued.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 25, 2012, 03:12:30 am »

Drop down beside him. "Few have the bravery to deal with such as me with such a cool head, i admit i am impressed. You speak of flesh, what do you mean by that?"

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 25, 2012, 03:41:55 am »

Character:

Drop down beside him. "Few have the bravery to deal with such as me with such a cool head, i admit i am impressed. You speak of flesh, what do you mean by that?"

The elf laughs. "Not bravery. If I were brave I would face my death with wild abandon and charge you with my walking stick. No. This is the cowardice that has allowed me to survive since the beginning of time. Anyway, you want flesh? I'll sell you some for my life."

He smirks sadly. "I've been a rancher in these parts for 47 years now. My current marriage, and commitment to Everpine, is set to expire in just under 30 months. I would be willing to get out of dodge a bit early and leave you my ranch. I have giant lovebirds for eating and a wife for you to... do as you please with. Nobody bothers me. Unless you attract attention to yourself you wont have to deal with any visitors until the merchants come to collect the birds for the Everpine Caravan in 3 months."

The elf rises to his feet again and sighs. "I keep my nest egg in the barn. Just some gold. If you want I can lead you to the ranch, grab the coin so I can start afresh, and be off. The wife Gwendolyn takes the night shift, so she should be asleep in the house. By the time you are done killing or restraining her I will have what I need and will be gone. I swear to whatever foul god you worship that you wont see me again after that."

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 25, 2012, 03:44:14 am »

Take him up on the offer.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 25, 2012, 03:47:15 am »

Ask him where his ranch is?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 143