Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 221310 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »

"Who is Vindel?"
Exit the trees.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 15, 2012, 06:28:32 pm »

"Who is Vindel?"
Exit the trees.
+1
And once we kill him, take his bowstring so we can give Alice her belt back, that might be embarrassing to explain to Foghorn.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2012, 06:32:11 pm »

Can we at least drop silently from the trees and whisper in a gutteral voice, "Vindel isn't here. Only me."? Please?

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2012, 06:43:24 pm »

Can we at least drop silently from the trees and whisper in a gutteral voice, "Vindel isn't here. Only me."? Please?
Yeah...

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 15, 2012, 10:53:27 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You leap from the tree and attempt your best guttural whisper. "Vindel isn't here. Only me." Sadly you mess up and your voice comes out as a high pitched squeak. The elf can't help but laugh. 1d20 = 3 + 1(Skill) = 4

Annoyed you smack the elf across the face and his. The gravity of his situation begins to sink in, and his fear is restored. "Wh-who are you?"

"Dosn't matter. Who is Vindel?"

The elf is taken aback for a moment, but eventually answers. "The local enchanter at the forest retreat where I live. We are rivals for the heart of a young maiden. He or one of his apprentices put a rune of rock shrapnel on my hunting path and I stepped into it. I suspect he will come around in the morning and finish me off."

A tingle goes down your spine. This elf is as good as dead even if you let him be. But perhaps there is a reason to go against your instincts and spare him, or perhaps there is more information you want out of him before doing the deed...

-I can taste the elf meat already...-

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 15, 2012, 11:00:59 pm »

I submit that we should kill the elf and bring his meat back to the tower. Then, *once we've fortified the place some* we can use his brain to sneak into the elf village, ransack Vindel's place and claim the maiden that both this elf and Vindel wanted. If two elves wanted her, one a hunter and one an enchanter, she's probably pretty great. Plus, our mom was an elf originally, so it would be continuing a family tradition!

We can talk to him first if there's anything we want to ask him.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2012, 11:06:12 pm »

That sounds like a plan! Maybe interrogate him more first.
And keep the other organs.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2012, 11:25:20 pm »

Great idea, for interrogation lets ask a little about Vindel and the girl, and maybe village defenses. Use the forceps and shadow manipulation(to cause fear).
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 15, 2012, 11:47:41 pm »

Ask questions first, kill later if needed. Perhaps we can get him to help us, maybe not.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2012, 12:33:59 am »

Character:

You bring your face right up to the elf's. You can taste the fear. "This girl... tell me about her."

The hunter's eyes widen. "I will do no such thing. I don't know what you are, but you will not harm her!"

Spreading your arms, you command the darkness to invade your victims mind and render his life a living nightmare. Within seconds he starts shivering and screaming. You allow this to continue for a good five minutes before releasing him. You notice Alice watching from the bushes now. Curious. 1d20 = 16 + 2(Skill) + 1(Tattoos) = 19

"Answer me or else I take you back to the dark place. The girl. What. Is. She. Like?"

The elf breaks down sobbing. It takes every ounce of self control you have not to give into your instincts and start physically tormenting him. Eventually he is able to answer. "Her name is Clairia. Her father is the brother of the great queen, and her mother is a descendant of the gods. She was sent to our village as a gift to show that we have the Great Queen's favor. She is of the highest birth, please do not harm her..."

You do your best evil laugh. "And Vindel. He got you with a trap. How tough is he?"

The elf answers, still very much afraid of you and your darkness manipulation. "N...not particularly tough. He casts his spells enchantment style, which means if he wants to fight with magic he has to leave runes around and hope his foes trip them. Since he grew up in our village he has to be at least a decent shot with a bow, but I don't think he has the training or conditioning to put up much of a fight without magic."

With a nod you produce your forceps and get to work. You continue to question him him as your remove his fingernails and teeth, but fail to get any more answers.

You beckon Alice over to help with the cleanup, at which point you note that your newly awakened instincts seem to be here to stay. You have a (thankfully controllable) urge to convert and mate with her. You hurridly instruct her to put her pants back on using the victim's bowstring. The pair of you then arrange the fruits of your time in the forest to be hauled back home. Alice uses her belt to latch the oak branches to her back, and you use the elf's belt to latch his corpse to yours.

"That was quite the impressive kill Sir Beast. Let us return to your tower so that I may rest."

---

You return home without incident. The branches and Corpse are dumped onto the first floor with Phyros' junk collection and Alice goes to sleep. Foghorn sits on the bed reading a translucent book. He claims he has time for a brief lesson in Eon Magic before he has to doze off himself.

"That was an eventful evening. Now what do I do?"

You have cleared the mental hurdles between yourself and maturity! You can now breed! Check the Perks for Information!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2012, 02:19:48 am »

Take a lesson and ask Foghorn about local elves. Also ask about female night creatures nearby
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2012, 02:23:10 am »

That, except only night creatures, not female night creatures.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2012, 04:26:15 am »

Character:

Foghorn's lesson focuses on one of the most classic application of Eon Manipulation; time displacement. To send something or someone hours or days into the future is something you already know how to do, but Foghorn shows you a few ways to improve on your technique. You are sure that you have made progress toward improving your Eon Magic skill as well. 1d20 = 13 + 4(Skill) + 1(Tattoo) + 9(Mentor's Skill) = 27

Once you finish Foghorn gets ready for bed and you quiz him on the surroundings. "What do you know about the local elves?"

The Wizard scratches his head for a second. "There are three settlements within a days walk from here. The biggest is Oakworshiped. It quickly changing from a humble Elven retreat to a cosmopolitan trading town; lots of humans and a few dwarves have moved in. It is the only settlement in the area directly affiliated with the Great Queen's Elven Alliance, and the great queen rewards this by sending in many trade caravans to visit and nobles to settle Oakworshiped."

Foghorn produces a mirror as he continues, and begins to focus on removing wrinkles and other signs of ageing as he talks. "Dawnmaiden is the smallest of the settlements, and again it isn't entirely Elven anymore. It is considered home by many mediocre mages and wizards too inept or humble to build towers or conquer towns. There are powerful enchantments cast over the whole retreat preventing magic from being used aggressively. You can find all sorts of magical supply for sale at the market there."

Your mentor frowns as a particular blemish proves resistant to his magic. "Finally there is Everpine. A classic elven settlement. They make and trade wood crafts, and don't much care for outsiders except during trading season. They don't get out much in Everpine, so if you terrorize them, it might take awhile for other settlements to find out."

You nod, taking in the information before asking your next question. "And are there any other children of the night living around here that I should know about?"

Foghorn yawns and lays back in bed. "There is Talia the were-skunk who lived on the outskirts of the human town. I let her turn and marry a son I didn't much care for in exchange for a few favors. They have to be either dead or relocated by now. There is a war going on and neither side would tolerate the unpredictably of were-beings living near the battlefield."

The caster twirls his thumb and continues to speak as he waits for sleep to claim him. "There are usually a few night creatures who live openly in Dawnmaiden. Most notable is the Vampire Enchantress Lea. Stunning and dangerous woman. The first love and inspiration for many a young man or dyke dabbling in the magical arts - myself included. While we are on the topic of vampires it is the worst kept secret in the region that the human champion Tybalt is one. His neighbors tollerate his presence and murders because he is a fierce patriot who fights off invading armies and his fellow night creatures alike."

With a final yawn your new friend begins to drift off, getting in but a few more words in the process. "The local boogeymen havn't been seen for nearly a... decade... Phyros claims... sealed them away... searched today... couldn't find... Zzzzzzzzzz."

You spend some time pondering the new information. Lots to think about, and you still have almost half a night left.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2012, 06:23:28 am »

Time to practice fire magic and produce some oak ash in process. Also, should cook something tasty from elf's meat
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2012, 12:57:19 pm »

Character:

Time to practice fire magic and produce some oak ash in process. Also, should cook something tasty from elf's meat
(Lucky Bastard. Nobody else posted in time :))

Deciding the the forge would be mostly fireproof you throw the branches and the corpse down through the trap door before climbing down the ladder yourself.

As soon as you enter the forge a spectral dwarf appears in front of you. "I'll take those branches for you master."

"Huh?"

The ghost blinks. "Oh right. Your new.... and a Night Troll. Huh. I thought you were all more dead than I am. Anyway, my name Illuem Greatwhiskers, master of all metal and furnace work. I've been bound to serve the master of this tower at the forge for 1500 years or so. The binding spell informs me that you are the master of the tower now, so let me make ash out of those Oak Branches for you."

You are taken aback by the prospect of suddenly having a servant. "Errrrm... Thanks. But I was hoping to practice fire magic and scorch em myself."

Throwing the branches to the ground in the center of the room you try to light them ablaze. You are able to create sparks, and even a few good sized puffs of flame, but the branches as still green and prove stubborn. Eventually you get impatient and use some of your oil to speed the process along... 1d20 = 8 + 1(Tattoos) + 4(Oil Used) = 13

As you wait for the branches to burn Illuem speaks again. "You know master. If you were to release me to rest in peace, I could make it worth your while."

"Oh. How so?"

The ghost grabs a rag and start polishing his Iron Anvil "Well there are two weak points in the spell that binds me. The first is that it exploits the fact that I was killed in the middle of producing an artifact. If you would order me to complete my artifact, I would need some help gathering material, but I would allow you to keep it and the spell binding me here would run out of power and fade in a matter of days."

"And what is the second weak point?" You ask intrigued.

Illuem continues his polishing and speaks without looking up. "The second weak-point is that the caster of this spell was a dwarf like me. Dwarven magic is inherently lawful. If I were to forge a slab or plate with a contract for my freedom that you agreed to, and then fulfill the terms of said contract, I would be free. As the oldest sentient being of my line, I am well within my rights to arrange marriage for my descendants or sell them into slavery. You could take the contract, walk into my village not two hours from here in the caverns, and they would have no choice but to give you your pick of however many women we agree on."

"You'd sell out your flesh and blood?"

"When all you have left is ectoplasm and resentment sure. The bastards know I'm here, and haven't even tried once to free me in all these years."

"I will take you offer into consideration then Illeum."

You then turn your attention from the ghost to the corpse. You are okay with eating raw meat, but a little cooking is as good of an excuse as any to practice fire manipulation. First however you attempt to remove and preserve the stomach and brain... sadly however you miscast your Eon Spell, and age the whole body through the decaying process until only bones remain! Illuem has to stifle a giggle. 1d20 = 1 + 4(Skill) + 1(Tattoos) = 6 OUCH! NATURAL 1!

You are starting to get rather hungry and only a few uneaten bit of Phyros remain...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 143