Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 221317 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #390 on: November 23, 2012, 01:27:34 am »

If I were an enchanter, I would totally not believe that.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 23, 2012, 05:20:27 am »

I think it's possible to suck up too much, if we do want to lull him into a feeling of arrogant superiority we don't want to be obvious about it. And even if he did believe us, that comes close to grovelling, which he would probably just view as pathetic.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 23, 2012, 07:32:13 am »

Ask which sentients we would be killing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 23, 2012, 09:03:03 am »

Why not do both?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 23, 2012, 09:09:06 am »

Then, we would have to do one first.
Not a problem, but we should decide which to do first if we are doing both. The reasoning will be the same whether we're deciding which to do or which to do first.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 23, 2012, 09:26:05 am »

I prefer the enchanting one, because we are planning to escape on our own, I don't trust Vindel to free us when we're done, his other plan would make it harder to reach our eleven princess, and we get a cool weapon this way.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 23, 2012, 09:30:42 am »

Agreed.
Sig

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 23, 2012, 10:01:25 am »

Does anyone finding this suspicious that he is giving us a choice.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 23, 2012, 10:37:20 am »

Yes, but we were already suspicious of him.
Sig

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 23, 2012, 03:36:08 pm »

Pretty sure it's a test of some sort.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 24, 2012, 03:14:34 am »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, item. I kinda get the feeling he's going to kill us once he has the princess.

"I think I shall go harvest some souls for you master."

You shudder a bit as you speak those words. Most Night Trolls consider the destruction or heavy modification of a soul as a great waste. Night creatures don't have an afterlife of their own; so they may only exist after death through their victims, who drag the fear and pain inflicted by their killers throughout the great beyond.

Up until now you knew little of enchantment, other than that your mother used to practice it when she was an elf, but was banned from using it or teaching it to you by your father, aunts, and cousins with whom you shared a lair. Now you understand why. All the beatings and insults she received was because she knew a black art. Perhaps she deserved it.

Vindel produces a necklace with a pentagram shaped charm and slips it around your neck. "It's a soul catcher. If you wear it, and kill somebody who is under the effects of any spell that you may have cast, their soul is mine to do with as I please. Now then, stand at attention please. I'm going to change up your orders a bit."

The elf smirks as your body stiffens and you offer a salute without the consent of your mind.

"You are to head south until you reach the brook, which you are to follow downstream until you reach the Retreat of Everpine. The people of Everpine are backward tree-fucking hicks who refuse to accept the new ways. Easy prey. Once you reach Everpine you are to stay in the area: You are not to travel more than an hour outside the settlement's borders until you collect for me four souls or are too injured to continue your hunt."

Vindel scratches his face and chuckles. "Once you are done at Everpine you are to return to my shop, wait until I'm not dealing with any customers, and report back to me. With any luck the souls you fetch should allow me to deal with several score of customers with enough left over to make something good for my favorite thrall."

The trip to Everpine is uneventful. Nothing attacks you, and your orders do not allow you to stop and investigate the things that don't. Eventualy you make it to the settlement and your legs stop moving.

You are more or less free to do as you will at the moment, so long as you don't try to get too far from Everpine.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 24, 2012, 04:45:00 am »

Wow, Vindel isn't smart enough... I never expected that amount of freedom

We are almost free now

1) We don't have to kill, there are no direct order
2) We don't have to wear the amulet when we do kill for food (and if we can't, then we may kill without spells
3) We have only one limitation, and it's not severe

You are not to travel more than an hour outside the settlement's borders
As a time mage we should exploit that "hour" somehow. It's much easier then if he said something like - don't get further away
Another thing to exploit. What is the border her ? is that an invisible line? A fence? Magic field?

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 24, 2012, 08:50:52 am »

Wow, Vindel isn't smart enough... I never expected that amount of freedom
Yup. Time to get all that stuff in that we've been wanting to do that we've not had time to. Locate a bird to contact Alice, brew some elf avoidance potions, get our fire magic up to snuff, etc. Let's do this.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 24, 2012, 09:28:02 am »

One of the ways to contact Foghorn is to cast many eon manipulation spells, he should notice that.

As for bird... Bees, wasps and other flying insects are more preferable because we'll get no penalty for befriending them. But it's a longshot, chances that we'll contact Alice are slim

Finding a mate is also a good option, surely we can find some elven girl here here.

And we still need to eat, plus we need an elven brain so we need to hunt soon
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 24, 2012, 09:54:29 am »

Head to Everpine, bidding Vindel good day.
Make plans of what to do next once we get there.

We can think about plans, of course, but nothing set in stone yet.

I can't help but notice that he didn't tell us not to talk to anyone there...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:23:19 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 143