Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 220790 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #645 on: December 01, 2012, 01:19:26 pm »

Also for our new gift I propose we use it on the girl Vindel wanted

Its ironic because her loved her beauty
Oh, that's awesome.  We should definitely do that.  Something like set up a mock-wedding, and when he lifts the veil, BLAMMO!  SHE'S HIDEOUS!
He is, after all, a homicidal dickwad.

Excellent idea.

Also if we want to make a fear thrall to take over the world (or at least mess with the current power base), perhaps we should snag someone already in power for the task?  I think the elf girl would make a better gift to our wife than a political power.  This isn't modern times, its difficult as shit to get into power from the lower strata, which chances are the elf girl is a part of.

If the OP thinks society has changed to allow that to happen though then the elf girl is as good as any I think.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 01, 2012, 01:57:52 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Let's get back to the tower. We really really want that artifact, so we should feed Gwen and then see if she'll have a look at the chest.

Deciding not to waste time or risk discovery in town, you sneak around the outskirts and begin to head due south. After a few uneventful hours you manage to clear the forest. Sure enough you spot your tower in the distance.

The tower is a good handful of miles away, and you spot several camps and travelers between yourself and your destination on the flat plains. Since your hands are already full however you decide to leave them unmolested. You arrive back home a bit before dawn.

Encounter Roll: 1d20 = 10 - 3(No Navigation Skill) = 7

To your relief you find Gwendolyn and Rox have already arrived and are busy trying to encourage the Giant Lovebirds to nest on the tower roof.

Heading down to the dungeon you briefly ponder what to do with your victim. Gwendolyn has been a good consort so far, and likely deserves a first 'proper' meal sometime soon, however your morbid side would very much like to torture her with dark manipulation until she snaps completely.

For now however you just shut her in one of the cells and restrain her arms with proper chains. Fucking with her mind is a long term project and Gwendolyn is busy at the moment.

You know that Foghorn spent the night at the ranch, and would have to go all the way to his tower and back to yours to deliver Alice, so you doubt that is likely to happen today. You are not sure if the remaining children would tell the truth about what happened, but it seems a likely possibility. Time could very well be of the essence on claiming the chest.

"Home again, home again, jiggidy jig."

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 01, 2012, 03:14:55 pm »

Despite my disagreement with him earlier, in large part i *do* agree with GreatWyrmGold about needless evil. We are the very last breeding member of our kind, and we still aren't heavily prepared for the machinations of a skilled enemy or civilization that fully discovers and declares war against us. We need to play smart. However we also need to stay strong and healthy, and i believe it's likely that the terror and flesh of sentient beings goes along way towards that. Think of it this way; the reason certain things are so tasty to humans is because at a fundamental level the tasty things we eat are some of the things that organisms require the most, even if those things become bad for us simply because of how god damn complicated our bodies are. Thinking about it this way, maybe there is a biological/magical reason that we enjoy fear and the flesh of sentient beings so much, if it's hard wired into us there could well be a reason for it. So while i espouse caution and *yes* even compassion at times, i do think we should get our recommended daily intake of pain and suffering.

I think that we should stick to a certain philosophy about enchanting, personally i think that Grek's solution is a really awesome compromise because it still allows us to enchant with male souls, while still allowing us to maintain some of our cultural/spiritual values. I... also do not think we should torment and keep a crazy elf she-bitch in our basement, that seems like a bad idea in the long term. a) crazy elf she-bitches are not known for being predictable b) there is a certain danger that she could escape and/or otherwise contact aid c) i think it would be nice to reward our mate if she does a good job on that chest, or even beforehand, it's time we begin to teach her what it's like to be a night-troll.
Maybe we should drop off some of our junk? Maybe our books and the shovel at least, we don't want to damage the books and carrying this stuff around could get pretty awkward and/or otherwise a hindrance.

My vote summed up: Bring Gwendolyn to look at the chest quickly, don't steal the soul of our prisoner or otherwise turn her into a psychotic liability, drop off useless crap, give the elf as a temporary plaything and meal to Gwendolyn if she gets the chest open.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 01, 2012, 03:45:11 pm »

Yeah, not really sure why we would want to have a young, insane elven child as our servant. That doesn't sound helpful at all.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 01, 2012, 03:48:27 pm »

Yeah, not really sure why we would want to have a young, insane elven child as our servant. That doesn't sound helpful at all.
Depends on the madness.  But yeah, she's pretty far gone.  And Gwen is probably going to be hungry...

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 01, 2012, 06:52:00 pm »

Is the captured elf chick over 18? If so I think we should consider converting her, we have a few gifts. Can never have enough loyal consorts.
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 01, 2012, 06:58:02 pm »

She's just a little kid.

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 01, 2012, 06:59:17 pm »

Heh, nevermind then, Gwen-food.
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 01, 2012, 07:17:33 pm »

Even if she wasn't, overall she isn't particularly special, we should still save our gifts for those who are.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 01, 2012, 09:50:53 pm »

And on a side note... TAKE THAT Greatwyrm, from the combo of great rolls and being scary to children, we got gift of Hideousness
It was due to luck, which we would have had no matter what we chose, and hideousness is the worst gift I've seen so far.

What? You never heard of Powered by a Forsaken Child?
Ooh, it's like someone hitting you with your own sword! Ouch!  That's gotta hurt, man!
Not really. He can quote tropes all he likes, but without any sort of evidence it's meaningless. I haven't seen anything to suggest that child souls would be anything but younger, less mature souls.

Joke aside, I'm pretty sure we are here to be a typical night troll.  That includes the typical DF mythology, but there are other myths with night trolls in them.  I can't think of any of them being "nice."  It's just not who we are, and we can't run from it.  Doesn't mean we're an idiot, nor does it mean we should senselessly slaughter.  We're a thinking evil, the worst kind you can ever fight.  We're going to stack the deck, and our greatest asset really is fear.  We don't feel it, but all the civs, immortal or not, do.  And fear makes people do very stupid things.
Yes, because we've taken every opportunity to slaughter innocents and be generally an ass.

Simply, a thinking enemy is the hardest to fight.  That will be us.  The small child pissing their beds at night will be the Elves.  I don't imagine they would put up much of a fight.
They can think, too. And they outnumber us, have more magic and weapons than us, and include some of the only people to have ever seen a night troll before. Don't piss the elves off without a good reason.

Exactly my point... although we are compassionate for a night troll, we are a perversion of the night and thus should strike fear into the hearts of our enemies..

Instead of killing the young girl, use dark manipulation to give her frightening visions, the long and repeating kind that causes insanity
Compassionate?  We're evil.  We're just not stupid. 
But I do like your plan.  Perhaps a mixture of dark manipulation and hypnosis could drive her mad. 

We could use a mad elf in many ways:
Making her a subtle kind of mad, and really only break her deep down inside. Basically creating a fear-thrall.
Have her then either overthrow the government or the religion.  They are capable of calming the populace and forming hunts after us.  Of course, if Elves are a theocracy (I think I remember druids appointing queens, or vice-versa, but times have changed) then we could kill two birds with one stone.

We could use her as just a traveling spy, and get us some intel every once in a while.

We could use her to spread tales of fear.  Have her claim to her "friends" that the being who cursed them cursed her with some kind of foresight.  Maybe we could give her some kind of distinctive mark that way.  We can have her pretend to predict the future, and throw them off and make them fear an enemy, just the wrong one.  We can make her predictions come true from time to time using our magic, and using Leghorn's.  He'll help us with this plan because he has something to gain as well: infamy.  It's the reason he agreed to help us, so it makes sense he would go for it again.  We'll just have her tell listeners about a great sorcerer.  Hell, we can paint him as the good guy of this situation, and ourselves as the bad guy.  Then the Elves will side with Leghorn, and through him, us.  (This plan is actually my favorite.)

We could also break her completely, and make her completely mad.  Then have her wander a bit and cause fear that way.  It's kinda mindless evil though, I don't think it would do that much.
Or we could give her to our dear wife.

What do y'all think?  Any of these good?
Since we've already attacked them, I'd advise either killing her or letting her go free, able to tell them about the horrible creature we are.

Not truly compassionate, just compassionate for a night troll,
Meh. We're more compassionate than some people. Look at the contrasting treatments of Alice between us and Foghorn.

Also for our new gift I propose we use it on the girl Vindel wanted

Its ironic because her loved her beauty
Oh, that's awesome.  We should definitely do that.  Something like set up a mock-wedding, and when he lifts the veil, BLAMMO!  SHE'S HIDEOUS!
He is, after all, a homicidal dickwad.
I'm more concerned about the enslaving for some reason. Maybe it's because death frees the soul or some philosophical BS like that.

Despite my disagreement with him earlier, in large part i *do* agree with GreatWyrmGold about needless evil. We are the very last breeding member of our kind, and we still aren't heavily prepared for the machinations of a skilled enemy or civilization that fully discovers and declares war against us. We need to play smart. However we also need to stay strong and healthy, and i believe it's likely that the terror and flesh of sentient beings goes along way towards that. Think of it this way; the reason certain things are so tasty to humans is because at a fundamental level the tasty things we eat are some of the things that organisms require the most, even if those things become bad for us simply because of how god damn complicated our bodies are. Thinking about it this way, maybe there is a biological/magical reason that we enjoy fear and the flesh of sentient beings so much, if it's hard wired into us there could well be a reason for it. So while i espouse caution and *yes* even compassion at times, i do think we should get our recommended daily intake of pain and suffering.
Thanks. I'm glad to know others sometimes think of me as the voice of reason.

My vote summed up: Bring Gwendolyn to look at the chest quickly, don't steal the soul of our prisoner or otherwise turn her into a psychotic liability, drop off useless crap, give the elf as a temporary plaything and meal to Gwendolyn if she gets the chest open.
+1

Is the captured elf chick over 18? If so I think we should consider converting her, we have a few gifts. Can never have enough loyal consorts.
18 is, like, 5 in elf years. Yes, she's over 18. No, she's probably not over elf!18.

Even if she wasn't, overall she isn't particularly special, we should still save our gifts for those who are.
+1. Unless we somehow get a gift surplus.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 01, 2012, 10:50:25 pm »

Ooh, it's like someone hitting you with your own sword! Ouch!  That's gotta hurt, man!
Not really. He can quote tropes all he likes, but without any sort of evidence it's meaningless. I haven't seen anything to suggest that child souls would be anything but younger, less mature souls.

It's my belief that the use of a child soul would greatly increase the potency of dark manipulation magic because of fear. Also There may or may not be a time limit on how long souls last. Child souls may well last longer.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 01, 2012, 11:05:12 pm »

It's my belief that the use of a child soul would greatly increase the potency of dark manipulation magic because of fear. Also There may or may not be a time limit on how long souls last. Child souls may well last longer.
Well, it's all speculation. Let's assume child souls are exactly like adult souls until we hear from the GM, okay?
I still think the immaturity and distractability of child souls would make them less potent.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 01, 2012, 11:16:03 pm »

Oh, I can imagine the confused human travelers now:
"I swear, she said she was over 18!"

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 01, 2012, 11:24:46 pm »

There's actually some evidence to suggest a child's soul is *less* potent, as it's already been shown that experience and power in certain areas of expertise can increase the power of enchantment in that area as well.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 01, 2012, 11:30:57 pm »

Women would be married of at the age of 11 in medieval times, usually to an older man
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 143