Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 221281 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #1560 on: December 21, 2012, 07:33:17 pm »

Not exactly, or we'd be a LOT better at hiding.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: December 21, 2012, 09:26:50 pm »

(YAY! Just when you thought the debates were over... Necromancy!)

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While mulling over Alice's fate, you decide to have a brief conversation with each of your current consorts. For inspiration of course. Since Jimma is around you grill her first. Jimma is your puppet. No Communication Roll Required

She is 734 years old and was last married 240 years ago. She likely has children and other living descendents, but has no clue where they would be. After her last marriage she decided to do what many newly single elves do, and learn firsthand about another culture. She settled in a dwarven fort, and was ironically assigned the roll of woodcutter by the overseer. Jimma didn't mind however, she was neither religious nor particular good at plant empathy.

One day while out on her own collecting lumber she stumbled upon a camp of Kobolds preparing to sneak into and rob the fortress. Outnumbered 7-1 she managed to defeat them all without a single scratch, using only a copper woodsman's axe. Her deeds caught the attention of the mayor, and she was entered into the military. Jimma proved to be a natural with the war axe and within a few decades was the leader of her squadron. The then elf earned renown by playing a major roll in her fortresses war against the High Queen's Elven Alliance. She claims to have over 75 personal kills, not counting animals and beasts, not a bad record for a fortress that was generally peaceful.

When the baron died Jimma's name was tossed around as his replacement, but the mayor and some of his cronies objected to the idea of an elf in the nobility. Jimma chose to leave the fortress so as not to incite a civil war over a position she didn't even want. She moved to Everpine hoping that they would declare on the nearby allience settlement of Oakworshiped, but that never happened. Jimma has been living in the bachelor tree and rejecting all suitors for over 20 years...

Having heard the puppet's story you call in Cherlyn next. You ask about her past and preferences, and to your mild surprise the consort opens up to you. 1d20 = 11 + 2(Skill) + 3(Cherlyn is your consort)

"Honestly, I don't even know what I was doing in Everpine. I wasn't much of an Elf even before you changed me. I was raised goblin ya know? Was taught the kidnapping and theft were just and honest means of making a living. I value wealth and power, and not a whole lot else. And quite frankly I gain pleasure from hurting those in my way."
Cherlyn shrugs. "Not likely your goal huh?"

You smile. "I'm not entirely sure what my goal is, but I'm fairly sure it is not incompatible with you getting rich. You will fit in fine here. Nobody here will judge you on what you were."

Cherlyn slaps you silly. "None of that sappy shit please. Just cause I'm your consort don't mean I like you. Now then, unless we are looking to liven the tower up with an elven lynch mob and our own blood, we need to set up proper traps. I know a foreign army is attacking the nearby human town. I can easily raid their camp for components."

You sigh. "I'll consider allowing that." Cherlyn's new instincts may force her to keep the best interests of your bloodline in mind, sadly you get the feeling that she could start calling the shots if you don't keep a close eye on her.

Dismissing Cherlyn you send for Gwendolyn. The highly pregnant consort waddles in. You find her more than willing to talk about her family. I'm not going to make you roll for simple conversation with Gwen either...

Her parent's marriage contract is long over, they have likely moved on to the next stage of their life. She has no clue where her brothers or cousins ended up either. She does however have three children from her marriage with Goldtuber.

Dalia is Gwendolyn's oldest daughter, and is in the Elven equivilant of her late teens. Dalia hated her father and his elven supremacy, so she ran off to the nearby human town to make her own living. Last Gwendolyn heard she was a prostitute.

Her next oldest daughter is Chillia. You learn Chillia is studying theology at a tropical retreat far to the north. "She is a sacrificial candidate. Her father is sooooo proud." Gwen says sarcastically.

Daryl is Gwendolyn's youngest child and only son, the Elven equivalent of 9ish. He still lives in Everpine where he is the Beekeeper's apprentice.

You change the topic and discuss her future plans. "You know, your instincts will only keep you madly in love with me until that kid of ours matures."

"Bullshit. The instincts make me want to protect you and the sister wives. I love you because you are a better husband than the jackass who sold me to you."
Gwen pouts. "We learn from each other and take care of each other. The bastard treated me like a child... I guess in some ways I get to treat you like a child."

You shoot the consort a smile. "I am a child. Or at least I was until very recently. I may have more experience with being a night-troll, but you have more experience in the woods and in the world. Anyway, I still want to know what you have planned for the future. Night Trolls, like elves, don't die unless killed. If living with me were to grow stale, what would you do?"

Alice shrugs. "I'd likely go and try to conquer a small settlement like Everpine somewhere. Hell that might be a good idea for the near future. They ain't affiliated with any major government, and they have no allies... Hmmm... The trees say my old husband is preaching that we are here to punish other towns for forsaking to traditional ways. We can make a fool out of him by terrorizing hick villages!"

You chuckle. Not because you necessarily agree with Gwendolyn's idea, but because her words have helped you come to your decision for Alice. She will not be arbitrarily forced to love you. If Gwendolyn can be your lover, and Cherlyn a potential rival, Alice can continue to be your friend as a consort. You send Gwendolyn away and instruct her to send Alice up.

---

Alice enters the room, and you can tell she is quite afraid. This is more than enough to set off your instincts. "Alright. Lets do this; not for the sake of myself, or my bloodline, but for the sake of your safety, self improvement, and father. Just give me permission to use your soul as I see fit, close your eyes, and await immortality."

The human nods. "Right then. My soul is yours. You better make me into something I'd enjoy being."

You smirk and pull her in for deconstruction. "I would never intentionally make a friend as you unhappy."

Alice's young soul is quickly melted and infused into her body. With in 35 minutes she is a puddle of goop sitting on the ground. Then with a fiery red glow you bestow upon your friend the gift of the Phoenix.

With time a new body is formed, with skin of sickening green, a beaked face, and wings of flame. Her general size remains more or less the same, but you know her wings will prevent her old armor and quiver from fitting. You might have to get creative if you want to retain her services as an archer.

The mental bit of the reconstruction is a simple and enjoyable task. Like most new consorts she talks alot about her past, but unlike most consorts you already know much of what she tells you. You do however learn that her mother is witch from the frigid regions far to the south whom Foghorn met at a social gathering of wicked casters in Dawnmaiden. Alice's parents are on good terms, but are smart enough to know that a marriage between two egotistical casters would be a doomed one. Alice herself chose to live with Foghorn when she was 10, liking both her parents, but prefering the temperate climate of Foghorns turf to her mother's frozen wastes.

"I wonder if she will try to dabble in your affairs when she learns of my new... condition?"

Alice informs you that she wouldn't mind having a kid or two for you at some point, but that she would rather take some time and work on her own maturity and needs before she considers motherhood. "Plus, I want to watch the other consorts screw their kids up first so I can learn from their mistakes!"

You end up spending the night with Alice and Gwen waiting for Alice's body to stabilize, talking about your respective fathers, and speculating as to the potential of Alice's new wings.

Despite the fact that you have two pregnant consorts and not a prisoner to split between them, you can't help but feel contented for the moment. Still, you know that tomorrow should at the very least be spent in preparation for tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:30:23 pm by Weirdsound »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: December 21, 2012, 09:33:49 pm »

I suggest that we let Cherlyn go steal something. Or someone. She used to be a snatcher, right?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: December 21, 2012, 09:41:35 pm »

That went better than could be expected.
Give the rouge permission to go stealing, but give her a deadline, and tell her to maybe bring back a meal or two, take the mermaid back to the oceon, in exchange for her bracelet, get Gwen to check it over, help Alice get used to her new body, ask if she likes it.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: December 21, 2012, 09:53:03 pm »

We'll need to give the mermaid more than a trip back to the ocean for her to leave us the bracelet. She walked here, didn't she? I suggest we appoint her Interim Diplomat of Ocean and Night, or something like that which basically says that she's the one in charge of communications between us and the merfolk for now.
Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: December 21, 2012, 09:55:58 pm »

Eh, I hoped for a more spectacular phoenix...

Quiver is not a huge problem.
Hip quiver will counter that problem

I suggest

1) Order the ghost to make the said quiver (or rather modify existing), remake chainmail for our puppet, make steel swords for Gwen and make helmets, boots and gauntlets for the whole party. The puppet should aid him and try to learn thing or two.
2) We and Gwen should spend our time with the mermaid, we need to know more about Nocteclaw (We should focus on scriptures, not invocation skill. Learn about the Goddess before considering to use her powers)
3) Alice should start training to fly, surely she'll find some birds that will aid her in that
4) The rogue should try to snatch someone, we need a fear source for our preggos. Also she may try to steal magic books and trap components
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: December 21, 2012, 10:04:42 pm »

Amendments to UR's Suggestions:
1. Make sure Jimma is always there if she has nothing more to do. Also make sure that the people who the stuff is made for are present, both to make sure the armor will be well-fitted and so that the person can approve the design. Especially important for the swords, there's more than one kind of sword.
2. Agreed, nothing to add.
3. Make sure to do it in a clearing, in the day, after clearing out the area of curious hunters and such.
4. Only have her snatch people she feels comfortable snatching. Snatching adults can't be the same as snatching kids.
Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: December 21, 2012, 10:22:44 pm »

Alice will be cool in the future.
But for now we basically lost her as a useful combat unit for our stealth based operations and that's sad. Half of her skills became obsolete

I am still so sad that she wasn't leftstoned...

One more thing, I think we should advice her to learn fire magic and gift her the book. She said that she doesn't interested in another magic schools, but situation changed.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: December 21, 2012, 10:24:21 pm »

Alice will be cool in the future.
But for now we basically lost her as a useful combat unit for our stealth based operations and that's sad. Half of her skills became obsolete

I am still so sad that she wasn't leftstoned...
Agreed.

One more thing, I think we should advice her to learn fire magic and gift her the book. She said that she doesn't interested in another magic schools, but situation changed.
Advise, but yes. This should take priority over flying lessons; since her wings are made of flame, the fire manipulation could help.
Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: December 21, 2012, 10:30:56 pm »

Hm, maybe with high enough fire manipulation she will be able to turn them off?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: December 21, 2012, 10:39:42 pm »

Tutor Alice in Fire Manipulation with all our spare time.
Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: December 21, 2012, 10:44:42 pm »

I have a better idea: she may use the magic mirror to get lessons from her father + read book

We are quite newby ourself and not a good teacher...

If she disagree to take lessons from father or he is not willing\busy... we may spend all our available time with Alice, tutoring her in fire manipulation, and maybe even trying to experiment with her wings ourself while Gwen will learn Nocteclaw ways

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: December 21, 2012, 10:47:44 pm »

I think getting our party some armor is a splendid idea, if not essential. We also have to consider food, are our giant birds eggs going to be enough to feed our rather large household now?
I think one thing we could consider in our future... nearby happens to be some prairieland, if i remember correctly. Could we perhaps search for tribes? If we make our appearance impressive perhaps we can get the worship of tribesmen.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: December 21, 2012, 10:48:46 pm »

Hm, not a bad idea. A bit longer-term, methinks, but we can start planning now.

What abilities of ours are most godlike?
Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: December 21, 2012, 10:56:03 pm »

Many bird people may consider Alice divine. Flaming wings, birdlike appearance and such.
And not only bird people...
And she may travel to prairieland easily

But first we need to teach her to fly and use fire... Let's hope that Foghorn will teach her some fire magic... Other ways to teach her aren't so reliable. We need to concentrate on that, Fire magic will be very useful for Alice even if flame wings can't be turned off
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:59:22 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 143