Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 221309 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #1680 on: December 23, 2012, 08:58:39 pm »

Spoiler: Long rant (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: long term stuff (click to show/hide)

Yeah, if opportunity arise bring some small animal to our son, and teach him that it is not for food but to play with, Gwen should aid him in getting mutual understanding with the pet, that will be a kickstart for a future animal empath. I think young lovebird is good for that role, if Rox will bring some nice alive animal from the hunt we may use that

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: December 23, 2012, 09:14:17 pm »

I think he's a bit young for a pet right now. I mean, he's not really going to be talking or walking well until he's 2 months.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: December 23, 2012, 09:16:49 pm »

We were talking in the future, rather than just now.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: December 23, 2012, 09:26:18 pm »

Right now our objectives are:
-Prepare for Foghorn's arrival. This means making sure Alice and Cherlyn can avoid eating any of Foghorn's relatives.
-Decide if we want to give the chest on the roof to Foghorn while he's here and, if so, anything we want to ask him for it in exchange.
-Consider maybe getting extra troll-food for the feast? In addition to the captive we have downstairs and the eggs?
-Try to teach our son to say Fellsoil while Alice and Gwen try to convince him to say their names. IT IS TRADITION :P

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: December 23, 2012, 09:32:51 pm »

I think he's a bit young for a pet right now. I mean, he's not really going to be talking or walking well until he's 2 months.

Nope, we can introduce a pet right now, I see no problem, they will grow together.
Furthemore it's easier to teach something at subconscious level in that age

-Decide if we want to give the chest on the roof to Foghorn while he's here and, if so, anything we want to ask him for it in exchange.
Too early to decide, that may wait for the next update

[/quote] Consider maybe getting extra troll-food for the feast? In addition to the captive we have downstairs and the eggs? [/quote]
We can eat a human food just fine (Or was it only meat?) Anyway, sentient flesh may be tastier but we can eat anything that Rox will get just fine.
We should just sit in the tower\do something close to the tower, no need to find problems

try to teach our son to say Fellsoil while Alice and Gwen try to convince him to say their names. IT IS TRADTION
Now that is too early
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: December 23, 2012, 09:37:06 pm »

I believe Grek was merely suggesting spending time with the child, whatever the method. If he really develops basic language in under a few months than it is certainly not too early to teach him, and either way we need to bond.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: December 23, 2012, 09:44:09 pm »

try to teach our son to say Fellsoil while Alice and Gwen try to convince him to say their names. IT IS TRADTION
Now that is too early

It is a traditional thing and it may even be a bonding exercise. I'd rather not be seen as an evil monster, rather be percieved in the same way as a predator, not a monster.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: December 23, 2012, 09:52:02 pm »

agreed, let's take care of our cubs.
Speaking of cubs, i think i have an idea. Once our bears are up and trained we can give them as a kind of pet to our most valuable children, we can take our children to visit them while they are being trained and eventually just give them to the child. That way we can pretty much always have eyes on them, and we won't have to be quite as worried about them getting into mischief, they'll have a little muscle on their side. If we get more bears this could even become a tradition.
I know i'm contributing to clogging pages and pages with debate of issues that arn't immediate, and to make up for it i'm going to go back and sum up everyones points for the convenience of our benevolent GM, wether i agree with them or not.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: December 23, 2012, 09:54:34 pm »

Lets leave the decision up to him if we go down that route of thinking, give him some free will of consequence.
Agreed. Because saying +1 seems silly.

I agree with your idea, but doubt that the implementation will succeed.

Spoiler: long term stuff (click to show/hide)
[/quote]
Not too bad, although having a mortal playmate should still be considered.
[/spoiler]

Yeah, if opportunity arise bring some small animal to our son, and teach him that it is not for food but to play with, Gwen should aid him in getting mutual understanding with the pet, that will be a kickstart for a future animal empath. I think young lovebird is good for that role, if Rox will bring some nice alive animal from the hunt we may use that
This sounds like a good idea.

Nit a pet to take care of, a pet to play with. Like a dog, except not a dog. Which has to be the most semantically null sentence I've said in a while.

Now that is too early
It is a traditional thing and it may even be a bonding exercise. I'd rather not be seen as an evil monster, rather be percieved in the same way as a predator, not a monster.
Tradition is good. If a future night troll gets interrupted by an adventurer, I'd rather have the adventurer see a (twisted parody of a) person carrying on traditions older than anyone can remember than a monster bored out of its (probable) skull.
Just don't expect him to talk back.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: December 23, 2012, 10:10:46 pm »

My Points:
Get to work on making table and chairs, bring at least Alice, probably also Jimma and maybe Gwen if we can find someone trustworthy to take care of the child briefly, maybe not a good idea to take him away from the tower yet. Attempt to coax wood from trees with plant manipulation. During this, speak to Alice about what she thinks of her new form, suggest a hip quiver, and that it may be prudent for her to at least dabble in fire manipulation.
Talk to the Family about Foghorn and his own Family, insist they are not to be harmed.
Spend time with child, talk to him.

Ukranian Ranger
Take stock of the prisoner, feed and water her. Make sure she doesn't end up in a consorts belly.
Stop Cherlyn from laying traps for the time being. Tell her instead to patrol looking for the merpeople.
Go get wood, pretty much as above, if plan fails then cut down trees that don't like night trolls.
Make a Magical fire book using gwens enchantment souls, if there are some.
If that fails, have gwen care for the lovebirdsm assist her.
Don't bother getting more food, no need for risk and effort.
Delay giving the Lockbox to Foghorn for the moment.

Great Wyrm Gold
Bring the whole gang on our wood-gathering trip. (come to think of it i'm not opposed to this, though our rogue might find it distasteful.)
Seeming approval of most of my other initial plans, though not resoundingly so.

Grek
Prepare for Foghorn
Consider giving the Box o Bogeymen to Foghorn. (Personally i'm in approval of this, couldn't hurt to even the score a little between us.)
Get more Food?
Spend some quality time with the son.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: December 23, 2012, 10:36:09 pm »

I don't see why we should keep the kid cooped up inside. As long as at least one set of eyes is on him whenever no one is holding him, he should be fine.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: December 23, 2012, 10:55:32 pm »

Good point, guess i'm just paranoid we'll be ambushed by elves or something.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: December 23, 2012, 10:59:09 pm »

In that case...best-case scenario, Gwen helps; worst-case scenario, Gwen shifts ahead in time with the baby.
Sig

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: December 23, 2012, 11:48:29 pm »

Dude, I love your conception of short and long.  Reminds me of my Uncle.  :P

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: December 24, 2012, 03:36:04 am »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You head down to the dungeon and check out the the rouge's catch. The prisoner is a human child, male and about the age of 10. His craftsman's grab and calloused hands imply that he is an apprentice at some trade or another. He is a bit scared, but not as hysterical as you would like or expect from somebody in his position.

The child is breifly interrogated. You learn that his name is Chip, and that he is a blacksmiths apprentice who makes bullets and keys. Things get interesting however when you ask him why he is able to remain calm.

"Because I know you wont want to eat me unless I am afraid."

You blink. "Where in the world did you learn something like that?"

"My father taught me."

"And who is your father?"

The kid frowns. "A corpse sir. A lynch mob took him away a few nights ago. He worshiped a goddess affiliated with your kind and was blamed for bringing you here."

"Notcheclaw?"

"Yes Sir. She is also a patron for some assassins. My father's father made his living knocking people off for coin. He worshiped Notcheclaw and passed down the faith to my father."

"Do you follow Notcheclaw?"

Chip shakes his head. "No sir. My master tries to make me worship Rockthrone and my mother wishes I follow Sol. My father never figured trying to teach me his faith was a fight worth picking."

You sigh. Your father would beat you to within an inch of your life for empathizing with a human. "Alright kid. Can you give me a good reason why I should spare your life?"1d20 = 19 + 2(Skill) + 1(Perk) = 22

"I know a few other people in town who worship your goddess sir. If you spare me, I can refer you to them."

You pound your open fist with a hand. A good no strings attached meal is hard to find these days.

---

After telling Chip you will consider his offer, you decide to spend some time with your son. You try to teach the baby to speak your name, and Gwendolyn's. After a few hours of work you get the little critter to say. 'Grendalyn' a few times. You consider getting the tyke a playmate or a pet.

You know this to be a delicate issue. One of your younger cousins/half brothers was killed when dad let him play with the prey before dinner time, but that was because Aunt Ivine forgot to break his arms first.

That said you know that know that letting night trolls play with humans is a useful educational tactic. If a prisoner was brought in by a consort but not sufficiently scared, Dad would often let you and your brothers play with it until it expired. You reckon you (perhaps unintentionaly) helped season plenty of meals for your family while learning about mortal anatomy in the process. Knowing what you know now; that mortals are capable of insight and friendship, you wonder if perhaps getting the child a long term companion may be a good idea. You would have to wait until he is a bit older to be sure, and you would have to select the mortal for the job carefully, but the benefits could very well outweigh the risks or complications.

Of course a pet is always a good backup plan. You Knight Trolls have good natural chemistry with several noctournal animals. You figure in a temperate climate like this, an owl would be your best bet.

---

Alice is Foghorn's daughter and Jimma lacks free will, so you decide that they are no threat to Foghorn or his family come feast time. That leaves Cherlyn and Gwendolyn to account for, so you have them both sent to your room.

"Alright. Listen up. In the near future Alice's father, Foghorn the Vile, will be coming to visit the tower. If all goes well I will likely gain his help assualting Oakworshiped, and you will have much slaughter and torture to occupy yourselves with. If anything happens to Foghorn however I will occupy myself by slaughtering and torturing whoever has wrong him."

You glare at each consort for a bit. Gwendolyn swiftly assures you that if she had wanted to harm Foghorn, she would have done so when they met at the ranch shortly after you turned her. Cherlyn manages to turn the tables on your threat and give you some more grief.

"I'm offended. I'm a thief and a kidnapper; not some petty assassin. I find the thought of picking a fight with somebody who can defend themselves to be abhorrent." The consort sneers with a voice just dripping with sarcasm. "If it makes you feel better you can just send me away on a 'shopping' trip once the royal dignitaries arrive."

You sigh. At least you are fairly sure Foghorn will remain unmolested. 1d20 = 11 + 2(Skill) + 3(Both Targets are your Consort) = 16

"Whatever. Gwendolyn, lets head out to the woods and coax some furniture for the meal. You go get a few Lovebirds ready to travel, I'll go fetch Alice and Jimma. Cherlyn, don't you dare eat that kid while I'm gone."

---

In the woods you try your hand at Coaxing first. The trees however are rather unwilling to bend for such an amature, and eventually you resign yourself to allowing the skilled Consorts to give it a go.

Alice and Gwen flip a dubloon to decide who gets to try first. Alice calls tails and tails is what comes up. The new consort leads you deeper into the forest to a few trees that she considers to be personal friends. After spending a few minutes showing off her new form she gets down to business, and guides the large plants to produce tumors in the size and shape of a table and chairs. This takes awhile, and once it becomes apparent that everything is working according to plan, Alice begins to mercilessly rub her success in Gwendolyn's face. 1d20 = 13 + 5(Alice's Skill) = 18

After taking the abuse for several for several minutes the elder consort counter attacks with a brutal verbal riposte, attacking Alice's sexuality and inability to do her duty to you. The final hour and a half of waiting for the furniture to grow is spent in awkward silence. You are not sure if you should be mad at Gwen for saying such things, or at Alice for provoking it.

You are rather relieved when Jimma cuts the furniture free with her axe, loads it onto the birds, and you all return home. Rox isn't back yet, and it occurs to you that the Tiger Woman never bothered to tell you exactly when Foghorn would arrive before she left to hunt.

"...Just wonderful."
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:10:26 am by Weirdsound »
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 143