Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 69927 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 26 - The Fleeting Joy of Arithmetic
« Reply #225 on: February 21, 2013, 07:01:54 pm »

Close enough.

Sit down. Pray some. To my god, not theirs.

Keep doing so until someone finds me.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2013, 08:28:06 pm »

"Take me on the most hidden road out of the city, we shall retreat that way."

Elizas orders Patalim.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 22, 2013, 03:04:24 pm »

Bump!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 22, 2013, 03:06:48 pm »

((Why would they usually be grey?))

Stay hidden, watch. Be ready to bravely run away if they seem to be heading for the building.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2013, 03:24:17 pm »

((Why would they usually be grey?))

Because white robes don't keep their whiteness very well in this day and age. They become a brownish-gray in short order, usually. And the things they burn in their rituals don't help, either.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:02:56 pm by Harry Baldman »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 27 - Those Who Do Not Learn From History...
« Reply #230 on: February 24, 2013, 04:17:19 pm »

Turn 27 - Those Who Do Not Learn From History...

Gronok, upon realizing that mathematics aren't really his strong suit, goes for history and geography as potential alternatives. After all, nobody knows as many stories as he does of far-away lands or ancient history, and some of those stories may even be true!

[Gronok knowledge roll: 4]
[Prisoner knowledge roll: 3]

"Hey, how about I teach you a bit about our history? It is helpful to know a bit about these things, don't you think? And some fun bits about far-away lands, how about those?"

"We were hoping you would let us out, but whatever floats your boat, I suppose. Not like we have a whole lot of choice."

"Right then, let me tell you a story about King Eredimil of the land of Gelitia to the northwest of here - you see, no more than three hundred seventy seven years ago, King Eredimil, not to be confused with his predecessor, Aradimil, decided to build the biggest whopping statue in the realm, and it was to be a statue of himself, Eredimil being an inherently narcissistic fellow and everything, as is becoming of a king. He got countless laborers to work on it and many forests were felled to construct the scaffolds for the thing. Quarries were emptied, as were the towns. All resources were devoted to finishing this statue in under a year in order to beat the record set by Aradimil and his shorter, if exactly as wide - Aradimil was a a bit tubby, you see - statue. And the project was quite successful, resulting in a giant statue looming over the surrounding land, where it presumably stands to this day. Unfortunately, another result of this was hostile tribes encroaching on Gelitian territory, which cost them quite a bit of good, fertile land. The populace was so angry at this that they decided to roast the king on a pike and eat him and his entire family in a feast, a sacred tradition and right of the Gelitian people to be invoked when their king acts like a complete fool. After that, the Gelitians decided to do away with the king business and just govern themselves through the use of voting on decisions."

"And what happened to them?"

"I think they got eaten by foreign tribes, who invoked a sacred tradition and right of theirs to be invoked when anyone, foreign nations included, acts like a complete fool."

"And the moral of the story would be?"

"It is that in the ancient land of the Gelitians, it is better to eat a fool than to be one."

Gronok nods sagely at that last remark, feeling like a very important lesson has been taught here today.

Educational activity performed! +1 MP!

Phiali takes advantage of the ascetic quarters provided and sits down on one of the copper plates. He then enters a praying session, one that hopefully won't be too long.

[Interruption roll: 6-->3]

Just as he sits down, he hears a yell from the way he came in!

"You there! I see you, you know! My eyes may not be the brightest, but I recognize who you are!"

[Man reaction roll: 5]

"Yarout, you layabout, why are you blundering about without your robe? I will have you know that we have strict rules of discipline here, and it is a disgrace to Kezilam for one to pray to her in such a manner! Come with me to the living quarters at once!"

The man, an ancient gray-robed individual with a very stern expression and a permanent squint from the looks of it, starts to wander up to Phiali, possibly with the intention of grabbing his ear.

Elizas, keenly aware of his own inadequate knowledge of good sneak-paths out of town, tries to order Patalim to take him on one that he might know!

"Take me on the most hidden road out of the city, we shall retreat that way."

[Patalim knowledge roll: ?]

"I am sorry, but I am afraid this clandestine thing is entirely beyond me. I do not know of any smuggling routes, hidden roads or even which ones have less guards on them. I haven't even left the city in ages. You would probably be better off asking my wife, I suppose. She might be thankful if you brought me back, though I can hardly guarantee that, considering the details of the affair. You could try to convert her to your religion, though. Would give her something else to think about."

Sejena, sensing trouble from all the dark robed people approaching, tries to make herself as hidden as possible while alertly watching for any signs of potential intent.

[Stealth roll: 6-->5]

Not really feeling that the door offers a good advantage in regards to stealth, she quickly scampers off and looks for a good place to hide in. Such a place quickly presents itself - what looks to be an old temple to her a few buildings down from the house. She runs in, finding the exterior door to be open, then locates a good place in the northwest corner of the building to watch from, a turret of sorts offering a great view of the street and not allowing anyone from the street a similar luxury in respect to her. She watches as the procession approaches.

Oh dear. They are carrying torches. And they seem to be very keen on using them to light some of the buildings on fire.

[Perception roll: ?]

She thinks she hears her name from the procession! Then again, she also thinks she heard the name of her mother, which she is pretty sure nobody in the city would be privy to, so it may be simple paranoia. Her musings are interrupted by a voice from behind her.

"I knew we had forgotten something. Glad to see you to be in good health."

Ah. Him again.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 24, 2013, 04:31:55 pm »

Tell them another story with a moral; the story of a king who got very angry and ate a poisoned fruit to prove how tough he was, only to be assassinated by a lizard.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 04:33:38 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2013, 04:41:22 pm »

This will be interesting.

"You have misidentified me. I am not a "Yarout," I am Phiali, and I serve the true god. How else could I have entered into this heathen temple without your unneeded numbers of guards noticing me?"

Return to prayer.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2013, 07:19:15 pm »

"Very well, let's just get out of here. Where is your wife?"

Elizas heads in the most "Patalim's-Wife"-ish direction.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2013, 11:17:20 am »

Sejena frowned.

'What is this, Naphezim?' she demanded, keeping her distance.

Keep him at length. Inquire on the crowd and what's going on.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 28 - The Benefits of Conversion
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2013, 05:04:53 pm »

Turn 28 - The Benefits of Conversion

Gronok, feeling the familiar sensation of successful moralistic storytelling, tries to continue his winning streak with another tale from what may have been actual history at some point.

[Storytelling roll: 3+1]

"Right, I've got another tale! This one is from the lands beyond the peaks to the southeast. You see, some five hundred and thirty years ago in the land of Hakatikzimipik there lived a king. He was the First King of the Hakatikzimipik, and he was, to put it mildly, quite an angry lout to be sure. He got angry about a whole lot of things, from an uncomfortably early sunrise to his bowl of blood soup in the afternoon not tasting quite right. But what particularly irked him was that, since the traditions of the area dictated that only the toughest, strongest man of all could possibly lead the nation of Hakatikzimipik, all manner of silly fools kept challenging his claim to the throne at any given point. The First King beat mostly everyone who tried this, and had his warband dispose of any who he couldn't take care of on his own. But these constant interruptions were hardly pleasant, and he decided to prove how tough he was once and for all by consuming the Poisonous Fruit of the Oasis of Unending Sins, which was reputed throughout the land for its amazing properties utilized in dishonorable murder, with one fruit capable of killing up to twelve strong men along with their mounts. Clearly, there was no better test of one's fortitude than ingesting it."

"Now, he obtained the fruit and ate it in full view of everyone who cared enough to look, intent on settling this manliness nonsense right away. He twisted, turned and retched for a long time, and his eyes became yellow with the intense concentration that the situation demanded. Also, he went completely bonkers in a short while, wandering off into a nearby desert one morning and not coming back. Now, nobody knows what exactly happened to the First King of the Hakatikzimipik, but one thing is clear."

"What's that?"

"You see, they don't call the Desert King Lizards the Desert King Lizards for nothing. What Desert King Lizards do, you see, is that they occasionally wander into villages. At least one such lizard was reported to have carried a strange object that seems to have been the First King's crown, and it reacted extremely aggressively when someone tried to take it away! The locals realized what had happened - the lizard had, paradoxically enough, beaten the weakened king in a contest of manliness and claimed the throne! And from that day on, the Desert King Lizards were considered sacred by the Hakatikzimipik, who, despite having moved on to less manliness-based governance, still feel a sizable bit of reverence for their Second King."

"And the moral of the story would be that you shouldn't try to prove your manliness with something that kills virtually everything?"

"That, and to beware of treacherous reptilians encroaching on your power."

A good thing to remember, Gronok thinks. It feels good to exercise those storytelling abilities again.

+1 MP for mythology/history lesson!

Phiali, not the lying type, says it straight and sharp to the man with poor eyesight.

"You have misidentified me. I am not a "Yarout," I am Phiali, and I serve the true god. How else could I have entered into this heathen temple without your unneeded numbers of guards noticing me?"

The man looks over Phiali and scratches his chin.

[Man reaction roll: 1-->1]

"I see. Well, it is awfully kind of you to have told me that. It would have been awkward to have dragged you off to the priest quarters by your ears when you're not even a priest, eh? Hah!"

He nods briefly and heads out the tunnel. Phiali shrugs and returns to prayer. A few minutes later, however, he is interrupted once more.

"Hello, it's me again!"

Phiali turns to acknowledge the presence of the priest and notices that he has five temple guards with him. And a nasty-looking two-handed sword in his hands.

"So, Phiali, I suppose it's time for us to deal with you appropriately."

He turns to his guards and says "Make sure not to leave too much of a mess, it's so dreadful when there's blood all over the meditation room."

The man pauses, then turns his attention to Phiali once more.

"I don't suppose you'd like to convert? That way, we would only have to burn and bleed you minimally. And we could... wait, no. Wouldn't work. Sadly, we would have to kill you anyway. But at least you'll go to heaven if you die as a Kezilamite. Does that sound agreeable?"

Spoiler: Phiali's mental map (click to show/hide)

Elizas gives up on the idea of leaving town for now, deferring to Patalim's superior (if still ultimately lacking) knowledge.

"Very well, let's just get out of here. Where is your wife?"

"Probably at her father's residence. I can lead you there, it is not too far."

Elizas allows himself to be taken through the winding streets of Berikalam, eventually winding up at a humble home in one of the seemingly poorer sections of the city. Looks to be a craftsman's home, judging by the general look of the place. It is, however, relatively inconspicuous.

"Looks like somebody's in. Let's go in, then."

Elizas follows Patalim inside his father-in-law's house, finding it to be just as humble on the inside as it is from the outside. The interior is neat enough, though it is clearly rather aged. Another thing in the house that's clearly rather aged are two people, a man and a woman, sitting in ancient chairs at the moment, neither looking particularly alert at the moment.

"Uhm... good morning. Have you seen my wife?"

The old man turns his decrepit head and studies Patalim carefully. He then slowly begins to speak, his voice drier than sand and possibly just as ancient.

"Aren't you dead?"

Patalim seems uneasy in his presence.

"Not... not yet. Where's my wife?"

"You're supposed to be dead."

The creature that is presumably Patalim's mother-in-law, equally ancient and equally slow as her husband, intently stares at Patalim.

"I'm not dead, let's leave it at that."

"No, I am quite sure. You're dead."

What a strange old man.

Sejena, not entirely pleased to see her infamous and unwilling host, frowns and asks a question.

"What is this, Naphezim?"

Naphezim's expression is a complete blank, and his voice sounds quite cold.

"A hazard of living in the poorer quarters, I'm afraid. Once per year, the Kezilamites here celebrate the Day of Ash, and part of the ceremony is the ritual burning of a den of iniquity. Unfortunately, it looks like our alley has drawn the losing lot this year. I wonder how much they'll burn this year, actually. I remember last year when they burned down one of the better wineries in town. Most unfortunate, that was. Well, at least they will leave quickly. They start a fire, sing some songs, then leave after the fire's gone out, you see. Some sort of important experience for them."

He shakes his head solemnly.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2013, 06:37:06 pm »

((What miracle would one use to unlock chains?))
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2013, 10:31:36 pm »

"I'm sorry, but I can't convert from the one true god. Nor will I come with you. Know this, however: You have lost your last chance. Be sure to tell whatever fell priest you blindly follow that it is your fault that this temple will fall."

Use my last mana point to escape, ideally teleporting somewhere nearby but safe.
Sig

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 28, 2013, 12:44:18 am »

"I'm sorry, but I can't convert from the one true god. Nor will I come with you. Know this, however: You have lost your last chance. Be sure to tell whatever fell priest you blindly follow that it is your fault that this temple will fall."

Use my last mana point to escape, ideally teleporting somewhere nearby but safe.

Well, you can't really teleport with a single MP. You can try Divine Knowledge, a Blessing or a Curse, all of which are at their lowest power levels in that case.

((What miracle would one use to unlock chains?))

There isn't really one that does that specifically, though a blessing on yourself or a curse on the chain might work.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 28, 2013, 12:45:22 am »

((Very well. Action incoming ... sometime.))
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 60