Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 514958 times)

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: -More Information Pending- [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #960 on: April 16, 2013, 09:27:00 pm »

Keep in mind, Best Korea has nuclear missiles like this guy has a monster truck.

You could do some decent damage with that.
Yeah, but mostly to your own vehicle.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 16, 2013, 09:29:13 pm »

That's a surprisingly good analogy, considering it was made by 3 different people.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 16, 2013, 10:29:02 pm »

They are nukes. Yes, they are small, cheap, but they get the job done. And that job is something we'd prefer to not leave to estimations of how capable they are. Similar to who we'd not gamble with pressing a big red button knowing there was a chance, no matter how remote, of it ending all human life, similarly, we'd prefer not to underestimate them.

Also, it's people like you guys that are why north korea has nuclear tests.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 17, 2013, 12:55:29 am »

They are nukes. Yes, they are small, cheap, but they get the job done.
That's actually not certain. We know that they have created a large underground explosion which they claim was a nuclear device. It's unlikely, but they could be lying. We all doubt that they are capable of creating a nuclear device small enough to be mounted on a rocket. We know they aren't capable of feeding anybody or keeping a working fleet of military trucks (they've been converted to wood burning engines and the tires are full of dried rice).

More damningly, we know they aren't actually mobilizing any troops, tanks or artillery except for a couple outdated rocket-trucks they move up and down the coast every once in a while. We can see their troops. They're not actually taking measures to prepare for a war.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 17, 2013, 01:02:19 am »

The CIA believes they have 10-12 nukes, and while they lie about a lot of things they wouldn't lie about this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #965 on: April 17, 2013, 01:38:18 am »

What, the notion that people are talking about sexism in games? I... don't see how the notion that people are talking about it is contested.
Yep it's contested. Otherwise you wouldn't get people trying to raise awareness if it were considered by all to be common knowledge.

They are nukes. Yes, they are small, cheap, but they get the job done.
Large, costly and unlikely to succeed :P

Elaborate?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 17, 2013, 01:42:30 am »

THAT is for the tropes thread, what Magma said. All I was saying was that something could be going on for years and years, as an undercurrent, and then suddenly break out into mass public consciousness, as seen in the sexism in games, and with North Koreans seemingly suddenly distrusting their government.
Except that notion is contested/not immediately obvious, as Magma's response indicates, meaning it's both a bit deraily and not a good analogy or example, as Magma's response indicates.
What, the notion that people are talking about sexism in games? I... don't see how the notion that people are talking about it is contested.
"Some people are talking about it some" probably isn't contested for anything, which also means it's not saying much. I thought your point in both cases was that people are all of a sudden talking about it a bunch even though nothing has really changed?

They are nukes. Yes, they are small, cheap, but they get the job done. And that job is something we'd prefer to not leave to estimations of how capable they are. Similar to who we'd not gamble with pressing a big red button knowing there was a chance, no matter how remote, of it ending all human life, similarly, we'd prefer not to underestimate them.
We don't want to overestimate them either. Panicking makes you less safe and prosperous, not more.

NK has nuclear tests because people kept laughing at how bad their nukes were?

Now if only they'd take our feeding their people jibes more seriously.

The CIA believes they have 10-12 nukes, and while they lie about a lot of things they wouldn't lie about this.
I don't see why not. They're a black ops organization that can wriggle out of most accountability issues on the basis of national secrets, aren't they?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 17, 2013, 01:44:13 am »

Elaborate?
We exist. Therefore Best Korea has something to bomb.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 17, 2013, 01:51:22 am »

I don't see why not. They're a black ops organization that can wriggle out of most accountability issues on the basis of national secrets, aren't they?
That's not the point. It isn't in their interests to say NK has nukes when they don't. If NK does not have nukes and says it does, then the CIA has the choice to either lie or tell the truth.

If they lie, then they implicitly are helping North Korea by maintaining their threat and allowing the US to look foolish if it ever comes out any other way that they have no nukes.

If they tell the truth, then they make NK look declawed and pathetic on the world stage.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #969 on: April 17, 2013, 01:54:24 am »

That's not the point. It isn't in their interests to say NK has nukes when they don't. If NK does not have nukes and says it does, then the CIA has the choice to either lie or tell the truth.

If they lie, then they implicitly are helping North Korea by maintaining their threat and allowing the US to look foolish if it ever comes out any other way that they have no nukes.

If they tell the truth, then they make NK look declawed and pathetic on the world stage.
Where have we heard claims of weapons of mass destruction which turned out to be false used for political gain before...

Elaborate?
We exist. Therefore Best Korea has something to bomb.
Crap.

I just realized we don't exist. We're a virtual construct imagined by a young Kim Jong-Il in his dreams, a world where North Korea is the underdog in a sea of military nations and progressive unions stacked against a bleak country.
North Korea is actually the best nation in the world and all its people live in constant prosperity. They have traveled the stars and unraveled the secrets of the universe, living with solid societal integrity and unity that prizes intelligence and open minded advances in culture and science.
And then Kim Jong-Il wakes up...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 17, 2013, 01:57:13 am »

Wasn't this exactly what happened in Iraq, though? They looked foolish, but nothing bad happened to them (or anyone else, really).

Ninja'd by Loud.

That's true. It does assume that's what they want, though, which again, I'm not sure has been established.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 17, 2013, 01:58:37 am »

Where have we heard claims of weapons of mass destruction which turned out to be false used for political gain before...
Your distrust is ignoring the context of the situation. The CIA are black hats, but they aren't fucking cartoon villains. They will act, whether moral or immorally, in a fashion that rationally benefits the interests of the CIA and the USA.

North Korea is not Iraq. There is virtually nothing they want there. Invading it would be a geopolitical mess that would make Iraq look fine and dandy. And once the invasion is over you're gonna bet China is going to start asking everyone why there needs to be such a high US military presence in the area anymore.
No Gods, No Masters.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 17, 2013, 02:18:52 am »

Your distrust is ignoring the context of the situation. The CIA are black hats, but they aren't fucking cartoon villains. They will act, whether moral or immorally, in a fashion that rationally benefits the interests of the CIA and the USA.

North Korea is not Iraq. There is virtually nothing they want there. Invading it would be a geopolitical mess that would make Iraq look fine and dandy. And once the invasion is over you're gonna bet China is going to start asking everyone why there needs to be such a high US military presence in the area anymore.

Regarding WMDs in Iraq, according to a CIA analyst working on that exact data, the blame lies rather squarely with the politicians, not with what the CIA was reporting.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #973 on: April 17, 2013, 02:24:12 am »

In the morning, I saw a dozen big 50-seater buses loading up people. There was a small sign with the words 'Mobilizing Reserves' on each one. O.o I also saw a jeep/humvee/whatever military car.

I think it's routine, but it's the first time I've seen the buses appear there over a year.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 17, 2013, 08:26:15 am »

Just a note, I think the only thing we know for certain is that they probably have enough nuclear material for 10-12 warheads (max.)

Wherether they have warheads that work is doubtable, but I think they're capable of nuclear detonations.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 341