Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515240 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Begs Mongolia For Food [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #1305 on: April 27, 2013, 11:14:13 pm »

I wager the U.S. public will overall flip their shit, especially republicans, while the U.S. government will sit in their shit, and say "Yeah, yeah it was a real tragedy, damn shame. North Korea sucks. Back to work." and beyond that do nothing.

Just a hunch I suppose.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: April 27, 2013, 11:49:24 pm »

Actually going to war with NK is very much against U.S. interests for the moment. If anything at all I suspect that if the guy is actually executed there'll be increased sanctions, but that's about the upper limit. That aside, I'm not convinced they'll kill him, rather than imprisoning him or quietly deporting him. NK is walking a fine line and I don't believe that enough of their crazy is genuine for them to not care about potentially pushing too far.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1307 on: April 28, 2013, 02:43:27 am »

Seriously folks. North Korea has US national in custody, faces death penalty for plotting to overthrow government. Trial soon, although they claim he has admitted his guilt.
The trial's already decided if he's guilty or not if anything's to go by a corrupt regime. America may not go to war over this but I'm expectantly waiting to catch sight of a Gaddafi style attempted decapitation strike.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 28, 2013, 02:45:11 am »

Seriously folks. North Korea has US national in custody, faces death penalty for plotting to overthrow government. Trial soon, although they claim he has admitted his guilt.
The trial's already decided if he's guilty or not if anything's to go by a corrupt regime. America may not go to war over this but I'm expectantly waiting to catch sight of a Gaddafi style attempted decapitation strike.
Trust me, this one won't be "attempted".
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: April 28, 2013, 03:31:25 am »

They're going to try to ransom him. That's what it's all about
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 28, 2013, 08:21:38 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh0B5SBsoTI

George Galloway, everyone's favourite demagogue, has interesting words for the Korean peninsula where he claims that it is NATO aggression, not North Korean aggression, that is the main source of this problem.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 28, 2013, 09:37:58 am »

Amidst the rhetoric, I heard one thing which was really quite attractive to me.

...and on American warships, constantly maneuvering, patrolling, and war-gaming around the seas...

He makes it sound like they're a jolly lot of sailors playing tabletop games on the high seas.

On a more serious note, what gives him away is the repetition of "puppet state" in reference to South Korea. It would be more believable if Galloway would stick to the nuclear approach, because that's almost within sight of being reasonable.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: April 28, 2013, 09:48:52 am »

On a more serious note, what gives him away is the repetition of "puppet state" in reference to South Korea. It would be more believable if Galloway would stick to the nuclear approach, because that's almost within sight of being reasonable.

Yes, I agree completely. There's lots of little things like that with Mr. Galloway - lots of little things that give him away. But yes, I do find it interesting that North Korea's proposals for a Korean confederation and complete disarmament do put them on a moral high-ground when compared with the Americans. The fear would of course be whether the North would seize the day and conquer the South with military might, but is that so certain?

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 28, 2013, 11:22:13 am »

But yes, I do find it interesting that North Korea's proposals for a Korean confederation and complete disarmament do put them on a moral high-ground when compared with the Americans. The fear would of course be whether the North would seize the day and conquer the South with military might, but is that so certain?

Because if there's one thing North Korea is known for, its the value of their promises.  Unfortunately this promise would conflict with their other promises such as turning Seoul into a sea of flames.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 28, 2013, 01:17:25 pm »

Because if there's one thing North Korea is known for, its the value of their promises.  Unfortunately this promise would conflict with their other promises such as turning Seoul into a sea of flames.

When though have they broken a promise outright in recent years?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: April 28, 2013, 01:23:25 pm »

The 'war on the fifteenth' one?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: April 28, 2013, 01:31:43 pm »

I've noticed that when Western news agencies quote the official North Korean announcements, they edit them to make North Korea look more aggressive. For example, all threats towards the United States, Japan and South Korea are originally written along the lines of "If you try to attack us, we'll wipe you off the map". The "If you try to attack us..." part is usually removed by news agencies, making the original announcement sound like "We'll wipe you off the map [without any clear reason whatsoever]!"
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1318 on: April 28, 2013, 02:12:30 pm »

I've noticed that when Western news agencies quote the official North Korean announcements, they edit them to make North Korea look more aggressive.
Western news loves fear mongering. It's not specific to the topic at hand.

'SHORTAGE OF SALT may SOON LEAD TO HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DEAD!'
'SUPER RETROVIRAL ANTIOBIOTIC RESISTANCE BUGS possibly FLYING TOWARDS YOUR CHILDREN AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT!'
'WE'RE NOT GOING TO TELL YOU THAT THERE'S A CORRELATION BETWEEN CERTAIN DEATH AND HOSPITALS, BUT HERE'S SOME DATA that does not represent any scientific fact THAT SAYS JUST THAT.'
'YOUR MOMMY AND DADDY ARE CERTAIN TO DIE IN A HORRIBLE NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST if countries enacted a global nuclear war. AS PROVEN BY LEADING FIGURE'S STATISTICS, leading figures not named.'

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: April 28, 2013, 02:20:46 pm »

Western news loves fear mongering. It's not specific to the topic at hand.

'SHORTAGE OF SALT may SOON LEAD TO HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DEAD!'
'SUPER RETROVIRAL ANTIOBIOTIC RESISTANCE BUGS possibly FLYING TOWARDS YOUR CHILDREN AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT!'
'WE'RE NOT GOING TO TELL YOU THAT THERE'S A CORRELATION BETWEEN CERTAIN DEATH AND HOSPITALS, BUT HERE'S SOME DATA that does not represent any scientific fact THAT SAYS JUST THAT.'
'YOUR MOMMY AND DADDY ARE CERTAIN TO DIE IN A HORRIBLE NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST if countries enacted a global nuclear war. AS PROVEN BY LEADING FIGURE'S STATISTICS, leading figures not named.'

Very true. I was going to bring up my own experiences with fear mongering and sensationalism of that exact sort in newspapers but I'm concerned that I'd derail the thread completely considering it's not related to the Korean situation.

But yes - I think we're going to have to take a lot of the newspaper articles out there on the issue with a pinch of salt.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 341