Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 513876 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rabid Dogs Hack Best Korean Intranet [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #1816 on: June 25, 2013, 03:58:28 pm »

To drop a nuclear bomb on North Korea would be a moral abomination, but I think most people here know that.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: June 25, 2013, 05:21:11 pm »

Well there are Thermobarbic's would those be a more moral choice? If north Korea did something stupid and attacked some one a nuclear bomb would be their worst worry.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: June 25, 2013, 07:00:36 pm »

Their worst worry would be rampant famine and disease as their fragile logistical structure completely collapses in the first week of the war.

Supply lines, people. A starving man can't fight using a gun that ran out of bullets days ago and badly needs to be cleaned.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: June 25, 2013, 07:39:17 pm »

Well there are Thermobarbic's would those be a more moral choice? If north Korea did something stupid and attacked some one a nuclear bomb would be their worst worry.
Why would a nuclear bomb be any worse than any other kind of bomb or assault?

Also, define "their." Kim's? Kim's top advisers? NK's government? The NK people? Anyone living in Pyongyang?

Their worst worry would be rampant famine and disease as their fragile logistical structure completely collapses in the first week of the war.

Supply lines, people. A starving man can't fight using a gun that ran out of bullets days ago and badly needs to be cleaned.
And yeah, this. They might be able to obliterate Seoul, but their ability to "attack" pretty much anyplace else is borderline nonexistent.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: June 25, 2013, 07:50:13 pm »

Rather than bombing Pyongyang into a smoking, radioactive, pile of rubble, we should probably do whatever we can to stop them from shelling Seoul into a smoking, pile of rubble.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: June 25, 2013, 08:04:30 pm »

North Korea's chance of winning a war against the South is approaches 0 the likelier it is for war to occur. If they ever actually invaded they have no chance. Hell, the US would need to help North Korea for them to win. Their chances of surviving indefinitely as is is slim to none.

All we can do is increase speed with which it comes, and minimize the damage North Korea does till then. Bombing them doesn't do that.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1822 on: June 25, 2013, 08:08:48 pm »

Why would a nuclear bomb be any worse than any other kind of bomb or assault?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
EMP blast. Regardless of whether the bomb hits North or South Korea, all Korea's going to feel the heat.

North Korea's chance of winning a war against the South is approaches 0 the likelier it is for war to occur. If they ever actually invaded they have no chance. Hell, the US would need to help North Korea for them to win. Their chances of surviving indefinitely as is is slim to none.
The thing about nations that go total war is that they don't need to be able to defeat any major military superpowers to stave off their own defeat. Inflicting a dear cost to the attacker is sufficient.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: June 25, 2013, 08:09:59 pm »

All we can do is increase speed with which it comes, and minimize the damage North Korea does till then. Bombing them doesn't do that.
That's what i meant. They won't be able to win but i don't know if they're leadership would know or care about that. I'm no expert in this type of thing but i think we should deal with their artillery if we go to war, since that would basically de-claw them.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: June 25, 2013, 08:14:34 pm »

The EMP blast depends significantly on the altitude of the detonation, IIRC.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: June 25, 2013, 08:17:01 pm »

Hmm, what floor does Glorious Leader live on again?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: June 25, 2013, 08:22:46 pm »

Hmm, what floor does Glorious Leader live on again?
Glorious leader lives among the people healing the blind and protecting the nation....Third floor.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: June 25, 2013, 08:34:35 pm »

Well, remember China would probably be very, very pissed, due to the whole "Dropping a Nuke on their Doorstep." thing.

Yes. In fact, it ranges from "The enitirety of the North American Continent" to 10 miles.

It depends entirely on a huge number of factors, some completely out of our control (Such as the magnetic field, which amplifies shit in weird ways. It's Proven a EMP on the US would cause alot of damage beyond it's borders, especially in Canada). However, is mostly a either large range or short range thing, a Ground burst would have a range of 10 miles, but a low altitude one is almost unpredictable. And, EMP is not a "End of days Scenario", nor a "Shrug it off" sort of thing. We don't know. Last time a EMP occurred over a Civilian territory, It affected 50s or 60s era Hawaii, and shut off street lamps. We don't know what it would and won't affect now. It might not even bother most of North Korea, after all they aren't very advanced. On the other hand, non of their Computers are protected.

It is too unpredictable to pretend we can do it surgically. Most EMP studies were based around the idea of a Entire massive country, the US, the USSR, the PRC, not at all about limiting the effects. All I know about that is the more shields a bomb has (and therefore, the stronger the bomb needs to be, yield has little to do with EMP) the weaker the Pulse.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: June 25, 2013, 08:41:33 pm »

Well, anything that is off at the time of the pulse shouldn't be effected, as is anything with sufficient shielding. As such, a large EMP would cause significant problems but be a recoverable situation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1829 on: June 25, 2013, 08:46:05 pm »

That's what i meant. They won't be able to win but i don't know if they're leadership would know or care about that. I'm no expert in this type of thing but i think we should deal with their artillery if we go to war, since that would basically de-claw them.
They've got around over 7000 various artillery pieces, some effective, others museum pieces. Destroying them all would be quite a military feat, which most things short of a cloud of UAV's that blot out the sun wouldn't be able to destroy all that easily. Couple that with their few thousand mortars and their dozen and a half thousand man portable rocket launchers, they could get some serious hurt done if they didn't care about casualties.
It all really comes down to how many of the 9 million soldiers would be willing to die for their country against the evil invaders. That, and the 180,000 N.Korean special forces, who are basically 5 ft Spetsnaz who inject themselves with pure Stalin everyday.

A 100kt warhead or stronger will create an EMP that affects pretty much everything on a tangent to the explosion height. The Americans use an arsenal in the range of 100-500kt, usually with multiple warheads. China has an SLBM which is capable of holding a single 1000kt warhead. A lot of people have nukes and a lot of people can be hurt by them, no matter where they're used in the world.
Nuclear bombs have a whole lot more indiscriminate destructive power and long lasting side effects that bombing and conventional warfare. One of the suggested use of tactical nukes is 'salting the ground' after all.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 341