Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 514960 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Understandable then. One could imagine an ISIS affiliate loading a ship with explosive.

Especially since it's happened before, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cole_bombing , the US's policy since has been to warn away small unauthorized boats and kill if they don't move away. I imagine Russia and other navies have taken the same hint as well.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 09:50:47 am by smjjames »

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, the Russian ship was at anchor at the time, it's not like they came across one another in the middle of nowhere. It'd be perfectly reasonable for the destroyer's crew to worry about a bombing.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A fishing boat is pretty cheap to load up, crew, and replace in comparison to a military boat...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

This was a while ago. I'm pretty sure it turned out to be angry turk fishermen who decided not to play chicken with 150-mm shells after the first warning shot.

I'm more interested in the first european army myself.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I'm more interested in the first european army myself.
Absolutely haram

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 07:51:36 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Spanish Secret Service Fails To Collateral Damage Crowd For Prez [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3591 on: December 16, 2015, 08:19:43 pm »

FOR CATALAN

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Secret Service Fails To Collateral Damage Crowd For Prez [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3592 on: December 16, 2015, 09:15:04 pm »

Heh, the US Secret Service wouldn't allow the crowd to get that close.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: December 16, 2015, 10:05:27 pm »

How many European heads of state/government have been assassinated in the post-war period anyway? AFAIK there was only Olof Palme...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:58:45 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: December 16, 2015, 10:50:00 pm »

How many European heads of state/government have been assasinated in the post-war period anyway? AFAIK there was only Olof Palme...

Which post-war period? WWII or Cold War?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: December 16, 2015, 11:19:18 pm »

WWII, of course. If it was post-Cold War, Olof Palme wouldn't count.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: December 17, 2015, 02:20:43 am »

Swedish politician Anna Lindh was murdered while out shopping as well, if that counts. Wasn't really an "assassination" though. Or possibly it was a damned good conspiracy ;)
Love, scriver~

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: December 17, 2015, 03:00:46 pm »

Not a head of state though... But if we include well-known politicians in general, Schäuble might count as well: The reason he's in a wheelchair is that he was attacked by a knife-wielding lunatic back in the nineties.
The Bay12 postcard club

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: December 17, 2015, 03:53:24 pm »

There have been a few, looking at wikipedia, Piersanti Mattarella (president of Sicily, but not sure if that counts), Luis Carrero Blanco (Spanish president back in the 70s), Zoran Đinđić (Serbian PM), Chechenya has a bunch. Theres also a bunch which had assassination attempts.

For well known politicians, well, they might be well known in Europe or their home country, but might not be in the US.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: December 17, 2015, 03:55:51 pm »

Sicily is not a nation, no... And I was thinking of modern Western Europe, to be honest :P

Else we might as well include Mussolini, the Russian Tsar, maybe Stalin...
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 341