Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 513911 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Erdogan Dons The Third Way Fez [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3735 on: January 04, 2016, 05:01:19 pm »

The thing is, it's one of the world's biggest dick-waving contests over a piece of land that nobody really fucking wants, unless there's a significant economic need for fish, squid and bird poop.

Argentinian here.

Don't pay attention to the claim. It is just politically correct to have a claim over them, because of some nationalistic bullshit against colonialism, the British pirates, and capitalism that the previous government left in the country. And this new government won't press the issue much more, it actually wants to make some friend with the world (and pretend that Argentina's affair with Venezuela never happened).

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: January 04, 2016, 05:16:13 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/argentina/12079614/Argentinas-new-government-says-it-will-press-claims-to-Falkland-Islands.html

The refalkening will begin

Don't they need to have a claim to the Falkland Islands before they can press it?
Imperialist pig! Malvinas have always been Argentine! Why else would God have placed them right next to Argentina?? (And by right next to, I mean 300 miles away)

As far as I can tell, their claim goes back to de facto Spanish control of the islands from 1774 to 1811, when the British withdrew but left behind a plaque and flag basically saying "Ha! we still have a core on these islands, suckers". When Spain lost Argentina to revolution in 1811, the Spanish did the same thing, leaving a plaque that said the islands were still Spanish.

In 1820, an Argentine naval vessel wrecked on the islands and the survivors set up a flag and plaque themselves and claimed the islands for Argentina, then promptly got picked up and left the island.

In the late 1820's, the Brits and Argentines both tried colonizing the islands and by 1831, one of the Argentine expeditions had actually survived long enough to call it a colony, which was promptly sacked by a British frigate and declared res nullius. The Argentines rebuilt the colony, there was a mutiny, and the British showed up with a warship and demanded the new colony governor change out the Argentine flag for a British one (at gunpoint).

Been British ever since.

So....it's a legit dispute, imho. I don't think you can argue that leaving a plaque and a flag constitutes de jure ownership, nor does gunboat diplomacy.

The thing is, it's one of the world's biggest dick-waving contests over a piece of land that nobody really fucking wants, unless there's a significant economic need for fish, squid and bird poop.

Even in CK2, 170 years of occupation will make a territory de jure
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wtf Germany http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/01/04/world/europe/ap-eu-germany-sex-assaults.html?_r=1
o hai six posts ago
Oops. Still, wtf Germany. Also, apparently the story is being actively censored on Reddit. No surprises there.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 06:49:28 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: January 04, 2016, 07:30:43 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/argentina/12079614/Argentinas-new-government-says-it-will-press-claims-to-Falkland-Islands.html

Don't they need to have a claim to the Falkland Islands before they can press it?
Imperialist pig! Malvinas have always been Argentine! Why else would God have placed them right next to Argentina?? (And by right next to, I mean 300 miles away)

As far as I can tell, their claim goes back to de facto Spanish control of the islands from 1774 to 1811, when the British withdrew but left behind a plaque and flag basically saying "Ha! we still have a core on these islands, suckers". When Spain lost Argentina to revolution in 1811, the Spanish did the same thing, leaving a plaque that said the islands were still Spanish.

In 1820, an Argentine naval vessel wrecked on the islands and the survivors set up a flag and plaque themselves and claimed the islands for Argentina, then promptly got picked up and left the island.

In the late 1820's, the Brits and Argentines both tried colonizing the islands and by 1831, one of the Argentine expeditions had actually survived long enough to call it a colony, which was promptly sacked by a British frigate and declared res nullius. The Argentines rebuilt the colony, there was a mutiny, and the British showed up with a warship and demanded the new colony governor change out the Argentine flag for a British one (at gunpoint).

Been British ever since.

So then they have a claim, but it's ridiculously outdated and obsolete.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: January 04, 2016, 07:36:49 pm »

Been British ever since.

So then they have a claim, but it's ridiculously outdated and obsolete.
Aren't most territorial claims in dispute? (*cough* Israel *cough*)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Depends on how you define in dispute and most and claims and territory.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

And define. And on. And how.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

Just saber-rattling to distract from all of Argentina's internal problems.  Runaway inflation, debt and currency controls prop up there every decade or so.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Just saber-rattling to distract from all of Argentina's internal problems.  Runaway inflation, debt and currency controls prop up there every decade or so.
Well, a nice little war to build up nationalistic sentiment was a rather large motivator for the Argentines first go, far as I know.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile

And define. And on. And how.
And and.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Might as well do "is", just for good measure.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

wtf Germany http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/01/04/world/europe/ap-eu-germany-sex-assaults.html?_r=1
o hai six posts ago
Oops. Still, wtf Germany. Also, apparently the story is being actively censored on Reddit. No surprises there.
That article says that just one rape charge has been filed, and merely around sixty 'criminal complaints'.
Additionally I'd like to remark that I live very close to Cologne - hell, I passed through that train station yesterday and will do so again in two days - and I've only heard one radio report mention it.

TL;DR: It's a bad thing, but not that big a deal.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, a nice little war to build up nationalistic sentiment was a rather large motivator for the Argentines first go, far as I know.

It was more like a war to distract the population from the incoming economic crisis after the de facto goverment screwed things up.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 341