Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515075 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The DPRK Thread is not a toy, try not to get enslaved.
« Reply #3975 on: March 16, 2016, 08:22:42 am »

Poor guy, being stuck as an hostage for a crappy regime.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: March 16, 2016, 09:22:26 am »

I'm surprised someone would actually be dumb enough to commit a crime in North Korea, but that obviously doesn't justify fifteen years of slavery. I feel pretty bad for him, honestly.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: March 16, 2016, 09:27:57 am »

Stealing banners or towels from hotels is something students tend to do. Doing so in North-Korea though, does not really strike me as something a bright young academic would do. So either this guy was really, really dumb, or DPRK just made it up so they could capture him.

I tend to not believe in students going on tour trips to North Korea though. Guy is probably CIA, sent to check on nuclear progress or whatever. In which case, 15 years is harsh, but it's a risk of the trade, so I can't really feel too sorry for him.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:30:58 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: March 16, 2016, 09:36:23 am »

Y'know what, if you're stupid enough to go to North Korea of your own free will, you pretty much deserve what you get.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: March 16, 2016, 09:38:39 am »

I don't think he's CIA or anything. There is a fair amount of people going to NK as tourist. I can totally see a guy going there and trying to steal shit to brag in front of his friends back home.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: March 16, 2016, 09:42:48 am »

I think it's plausible the story is actually as written since he said his church told him to do it. There are lots of evangelical projects that focus on infiltration of North Korea, albeit most of them South Korean.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: March 16, 2016, 09:43:32 am »

Why would his church want him to steal a banner?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: March 16, 2016, 09:43:36 am »

Yeah. Which is pretty stupid to do anywhere, least of all in Best Korea. And least of all in the middle of a bout of nuclear posturing.

Dont worry though, they wont actually keep him 15 years in forced labor. It's not like this hasn't happened in the past. They'll keep him in a cell somewhere for a couple of months, sabre-rattle a bit, and release them as soon as they have managed to get some political-economical concession from the US govt.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: March 16, 2016, 09:53:47 am »

Why would his church want him to steal a banner?
Fuck if I know, maybe to make a statement? Like everything else that comes out of NK, this is inexplicable.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: March 16, 2016, 09:59:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:04:09 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: March 16, 2016, 10:06:45 am »

He deserves his time.
If I where the leader, I would have him paper cut with said banner until he crys like a little boy, then after the two papercuts I would dip him in a very hot bath and get him dileriously hot, make him run naked in a cold field and blow him up with a heat seaking missile.
Then nuke the moon while smoking his remains in the banner and drinking the finest Korean rice wine, with my american buddy.... hmmm mel gibson... yes he will be my buddy
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3986 on: March 16, 2016, 10:25:49 am »

Catmeat you seem very fond of wanting to nuke the moon

Need I remind you this will not cure werewolves

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: March 16, 2016, 10:53:14 am »

They'll keep him in a cell somewhere for a couple of months, sabre-rattle a bit, and release them as soon as they have managed to get some political-economical concession from the US govt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX0XDHF3M60
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: March 16, 2016, 10:57:37 am »

He deserves his time.
If I where the leader, I would have him paper cut with said banner until he crys like a little boy, then after the two papercuts I would dip him in a very hot bath and get him dileriously hot, make him run naked in a cold field and blow him up with a heat seaking missile.
Then nuke the moon while smoking his remains in the banner and drinking the finest Korean rice wine, with my american buddy.... hmmm mel gibson... yes he will be my buddy

Why do I have the unsettling suspicion that you were being actually turned on by what you typed?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: March 16, 2016, 11:21:46 am »

I wouldn't doubt they made it up just to put the guy in some crummy cell and then use it as leverage to get some sort of concession. Its not like they haven't done so in the past.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 341