Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 435655 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Exit the memory carefully. If the outside is still screwingly bad, backpedal into the memory.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile

Cautiously exit memory, follow team

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Exit the memory. Look for the nerve node one.

Jim will also do this.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Sorry, my ISP decided to crap out yesterday and I spent most of the day either trying to get it back or stuck carrying boxes of books up flights of stairs.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Ok, lets put you all in that nerve node memory eh?

The memory begins with the vessel focused on his arms. They're coated in nerve nodes, each with their fair share of wires. They've been banded together into great cables that stretch off somewhere above and behind the vessel. From what you can see he's sitting, or more correctly, strapped into a pod that resembles a stasis pod, though larger, more complex and slightly antiquated. Judging by the way he's pressing on the straps, he's in zero-g. His pod is one of thousands spread around a great hollow expanse, like the inside of a metal egg. The way the pods are positioned is immediately strange to you. They coat the walls but they also trace semi-circles on curved metal rafters, or diagonal spirals on large metal pillars. The way they're arranged combined with the knowledge of what this machine does gives you a strange feeling.

It's almost as though you're within some grand occult engine; a machine that harnesses unknown and unknowable forces via seemingly mundane processes; abusing some law of physics mankind has, of yet, failed to grasp. The great computer that hangs in a spiderweb of metal struts at the center of this confusing configuration only enhances that feeling; it's endless thin limbs of cable stretching out to each pod.

Technicians in white clean room suits with oxygen tanks and masks float through the empty expanses, checking countless panels and pods and connection points before leaping off like albino grasshoppers and drifting to their next inspection point.

"We are beginning final checks. All non-essential personnel should evacuate. Repeat, all non-essential personnel, evacuate the exclusion zone."

The lights in the chamber blink out one by one, leaving only he gently glowing pods and the great mass of softly pulsating screens and indicators on the surface of the central computer The pods close with a hiss and seal themselves, filling with stasis fluid. The vessel's body becomes dizzy and weak but instead of falling into the blackness of stasis sleep his  mind remains awake and his eyes still see. 

Slowly, the machine begins to activate. The pillars turn like crankshafts, the circles like gears, everything grinding into a slow motion. Red electric discharge leaps between pods and down the cables. Voices, the inner voices of the thousandfold minds of the men and women in those pods, rise together like a choir. What starts as a low rumble grows until it reaches a crescendo that threatens to tear the world apart. Something clicks into place and shakes the entire ship with a metallic ring. The central computer glows brighter then the sun.

For an instant, the countless become the singular and their minds view the world through the endless eyes of the ship and beyond. Their minds scream out across the cosmos, their perception extending lightyears in all directions.

And then they are yanked back, torn apart as the machinery slows and shuts down.

"We have a successful contact. Repeat, successful contact. Returning all systems to null state. Reestablishing barriers. All trauma teams report to your subjects. Report contamination immediately."

The white grasshoppers return, swarming like locusts over the pods. As they descend on the subject and pull him, half comatose, from his pod, you know as well as he did that not quite all of him came back. Now some part of him, some part of them all, belongs not to themselves, but to the One. And it is awaiting their return.

The memory loops from here.

(sorry about the size, but We don't have time to mess around.)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((No problem about the size and sorry about my lack of activity in this thread since shortly after the mission started. Craptastic developments, etc. Haven't been able to post much on the forums and my availability keeps fluctuating.))

"Cheering, I guess."

Look for the area with the cheering, being careful about the blobs.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile

Interesting. Oh well.
Actually, I believe cheering might be about the end of the Altered menace... but I might be wrong, and hopefully we still have time to spare.

Follow the team into the cheering area.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

"Let's all go to the cheering area."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

The team moves to the place where the cheering seems to be coming from but there seems to be no memory to enter. The area of cheering appears to be a town house of sorts, quite old and abandoned. The cheering seems to be coming from inside it, though exactly where is hard to say.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"At least we're finally getting close to the number mentioned by the guy."

Start looking for the source of the sound.
>Yes?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

Aid Milno.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

The team follows milno as he explores the home, wandering through disused bedrooms, dusty bathrooms and decaying living rooms with age yellowed and crumbling furniture.

Eventually they make it upstairs to what seems to be the source of the cheering, but it's odd. The source seems to be an electric keyboard tucked into one corner of the room. The cheering near it is very loud but, as you get closer, within arms length, the cheering suddenly stops and it's dead quiet.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

Move back from the keyboard, see if the cheering restarts.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Move back from the keyboard, see if the cheering restarts.
It doesn't. The cheering seems to have vanished.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile

((Awww. "It's a trap!" :P))
I presume we have triggered something... and we might better prepare for the worst. Still, we can't ignore any hard memories.
Go into the keyboard, unless it's not a hard memory. In that case, perform a cursory search for any memories inside the house, and, if finding none, get the hell out of the place.
Unless I am given direct orders to do something else, of course.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

Gorat shakes his body, lacking a head to shake, and moves further back. "Something is very, very wrong here, I think we should retreat for now. We've been about as subtle as a crash of rhinophants, we've been told that subtlety is our only hope for survival... this can't be just an obvious trap. Even with what you said about the memory from the hiding face, the ship being in some ways less than the sum of its parts... it is still a gestalt of numerous human brains, at the very least a organic supercomputer, and yet it seems that it... plays with us, rather than killing us as we've been told."
Direforged Original
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 243