Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 436891 times)

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette mission 10: Ice 9
« Reply #1920 on: August 23, 2013, 11:18:21 am »

Keep running and watching, ready to repeat what I just did. Keep going for the palace as fast as possible.

If Feyri's body is somewhere along the way to the third terrace, drag it along as long as it isn't too encumbering, or make Xan hold onto it (to keep at least one of my hands free at all times).Watch out for debris from the palace too.

Steve, what happened just now?
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1921 on: August 23, 2013, 11:22:37 am »

((Oh, I just remembered, Xantalos is missing so he can't respond to Steve's offer of laserfire. Anybody want to tell Steve to fire his lasers on the anomaly? What could possibly go wrong?))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: August 23, 2013, 11:25:59 am »

((The anomaly is probably consuming energy to power itself. Firing lasers at it would make it grow faster.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1923 on: August 23, 2013, 11:29:55 am »

((Not to mention that heating up a small part of supercool material would cause a huge ass explosion when that part suddenly expands. And the possibility of friendly fire. But this is the HMRC. They're not supposed to worry about logic, safety and other silly stuff.

Edit: Although now that I think about it, they have all the tools they need to keep themselves safe if I understand how the laser batteries are supposed to work.))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:27:25 pm by Parisbre56 »

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: August 23, 2013, 12:29:34 pm »

((The anomaly is probably consuming energy to power itself. Firing lasers at it would make it grow faster.))

(( That depends on what it is, honestly.

If it's a section of super cold space, then what we're seeing is all the heat from the surroundings rushing into it, and firing into it will increase the amount of heat it has, slowing it down because the temperature gradient is less. This is also why it could slow down as it expands, because as it expands it's taken in more energy, and taking in more energy more quickly, so same effect.

If it's the manipulator trying to keep itself as cool as possible, and it is drawing from an infinite high-science power source and not the heat energy from the surroundings, then much the same thing happens, only it becomes a rate thing instead of an average temperature thing. When the sphere has expanded to the point that the amount of heat going into it is roughly equal to the amount of heat the manipulator can get rid of, we'll start to see things similar to the above. If it's working off a finite power source, then it can also only do this for a limited time before it has to move to option 1) 'a really bloody cold section of space'. Either way, if you can maintain a continuous stream of heat into the space, then you'd make it so it will reach that tipping point sooner.

If it's the manipulator trying to keep itself as cold as possible, *and* one way it is doing this is by consuming heat energy, such that it can always dump more heat than comes in, then we're pretty much screwed.

If the manipulator has generated a section of absolute zero space, Steve help us.

Yay napkin physics! ))

((Not to mention that heating up a small part of supercool material would cause a huge ass explosion when that part suddenly expands. And the possibility of friendly fire. But this is the HMRC. They're not supposed to worry about logic, safety and other silly stuff.

Edit: Although now that I think about it, they have all the tools they need to keep themselves safe if I understand how the laser batteries are supposed to work.))

(( I'm betting that's where all the ice shards are coming from, so hopefully the added energy wouldn't be too ridiculous. And steve could always add it on the township side. :P ))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:34:08 pm by Kriellya »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1925 on: August 23, 2013, 01:19:02 pm »

((ohshi... goddamnIT.))

Run back to the guy who just got his leg made useless, pick him up by the back of the neck with my kinetic glove thing, and then... fuck it if I'm rescuing him he's gonna be useful... Use him as a shield while I abscond.
[Uncon:3+1+1]
(Lucky)
You rush back over to stacy and grab him you the scruff of his neck and start dragging him toward the stairs. You make it to the third story stairs.

Quote from: Grate -> Everyone
Where arewe going an dhow long until we canleave?

Keep running to the palace. Try to find Kitten (remember? The servant person Grate befriended?)

You keep running, Looking around as you do. You don't see Kitten anywhere; but there are lots of people running around. Just because you don't see her doesn't mean she didn't get away.

Charles detatches his rifle's scope and magazine. He places the magazine to face the expanding field and the scope next to it, facing the field as well. He continues running. He will detonate it via wristpad when the field is close to it.
He radios everyone "I've set up magazine and scope. Access the visual feed via wristpad. If any of you see that the field is rather close to it, detonate the magazine using the wristpad."
Argh! Not now! Please... not now!
Charles's mind is invaded by delusional whispers as his vision explodes with a cascade of arbitrary numbers. He tries to ignore the whispers which chanted, mantra like, welcoming him to "Ground Zero" and indifferently narrating his thoughts and actions actions.
You leave your explosive magazine behind, ready to detonate it as the effect comes close. And once that works, you plan on stopping the heat death of the universe using a fire cracker.

You make it to just in front of the palace.

(( Hm... Steve makes me think that maybe this was supposed to take a biiiit longer before things went apeshit, and that Faith was supposed to have time to engage in some espionage and, more importantly, recruit some of us to this task. Cause right now it certainly looks like we've got the entire mission leaning on just Faith to pull it out of the shitter XD ))

I swear these things are out to get me...

Glance at the palace, look for ways into the building. If it looks like the event is still advancing quickly, retreat back to a palace entrance.
If it looks like this position will remain safe for a while, direct people nearby up to the palace and protect the stairs with the manipulator.

(( That won't end poorly ))

((Yeah, I know. I wasn't replying to your post, in case it seemed like it. It's just that at the time reading you mention Faith made me recall she's somewhere and I decided to post, partially waiting to see if IronyOwl decides to make a vague statement about Faith's current activities.))
((You'll get nothing from me. Nothiiiiiiing!))

By Radio: FAITH, we have BIGGER issues than the fire and the nuke now, looks like someone overloaded an amp at the gates! Most of us are retreating up to the higher levels ASAP, but we're not sure if it will make a difference. If you can direct us to a good escape route, now is the time! Also... I think Feyri is down... She fell out of the sky on the second level terrace. Will try to keep you up to date.
There is no response.

(( Awesome. You and PW had better come clean after we all die to this :P ))
You run up to the entrance to the palace and start yelling for people to join you. The effect is still coming, but seems to be reaching some point of equilibrium, since it's starting to slow.

Continue running, punching all solid matter in the way.
You make it up to the palace entrance. Yay.

Continue to run, continue to shield as necessary, continue.
Yep, palace entrance.

Charles disables the detonator and retrieves his magazine and scope which he had just laid down, reattaching them to his rifle. He had a feeling he might need it.
Never mind for your above turn, I suppose.

Keep running and watching, ready to repeat what I just did. Keep going for the palace as fast as possible.

If Feyri's body is somewhere along the way to the third terrace, drag it along as long as it isn't too encumbering, or make Xan hold onto it (to keep at least one of my hands free at all times).Watch out for debris from the palace too.

Steve, what happened just now?
You couldn't carry feryri's body even if you weren't carrying Xan. Lady weighs more then the both of you put together.

You make it up to the palace entrance.

As the team absconds to the palace several more explosions rock the structure's upper level. One sends a white, humanoid shape tumbling out into the gardens below.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: August 23, 2013, 01:32:02 pm »

Stacy quietly sings the ode to Sandy as he's being dragged. He's gonna have to get up those stairs, he thinks.

Get dragged/hobble up the stairs and over to the palace entrance. Make sure to watch the skies and warn the guy carrying me of any hostile ice.

As an idea comes to him, Stacy melodically intones at his brave rescuer.

"Good sir, perhaps you'd prefer not to drag me around and instead just let me hobble along with you? If I get speared by ice, you are likely to not survive, either, not with the suit you've got. Not to mention that speed is more important than shielding in this situation, no?"
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:39:42 pm by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: August 23, 2013, 01:33:28 pm »

And once that works, you plan on stopping the heat death of the universe using a fire cracker.
Showing just how little he knows about the heat death of the universe.

Quote from: Grate -> All
What dowe do now?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1928 on: August 23, 2013, 02:20:24 pm »

And once that works, you plan on stopping the heat death of the universe using a fire cracker.

What dowe do now?
Yeah, yeah, I know heat death doesn't really have anything to do with actual temperature and is more about a lack of free energy that is needed to necessitate work and life and shit. It's a joke, LargeDragonBronze.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: August 23, 2013, 02:35:54 pm »

(( I'm with Feyri. I think our slim chance of survival just turned into complete and utter doom. ))

...Steve... what was that? Please tell me that wasn't 'the work undone' becoming suddenly and explosively irrelevant... Actually, scratch that, tell me it *was* and then tell us where the shuttle is.

(( Reposting this with my action, since I didn't get a response :P
Note to self, bold chocolate glowy text does not attract PW's attention. Add more bold next time XD ))

White and humanoid... So, either Faith just got violently ejected from the palace, or their sun god just exploded.

Run towards the garden, slowing down a good ways from the white form. Stop approaching when I can identify who it is. (mainly Faith / not Faith)
Check that my scout eye has been well and truly obliterated.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: August 23, 2013, 02:40:36 pm »

What dowe do now?
Yeah, yeah, I know heat death doesn't really have anything to do with actual temperature and is more about a lack of free energy that is needed to necessitate work and life and shit. It's a joke, LargeDragonBronze.
((Actually, if this is really an entropic anomaly, then it really is the heat death of the universe - a localized instance of it, but still. If HDoE happened sharply instead of gradually, this is pretty much what it'd look like, shortly before all matter decomposed into constituent particles, and constituent particles dissolved into their own sub-particles and then into pretty much nothing.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1931 on: August 23, 2013, 03:08:27 pm »

((I think this anomaly just sucks the kinetic energy out/stops the movement of everything around it. It's not an actual entropy bomb. It is an extreme cold bomb.))

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: August 23, 2013, 03:10:55 pm »

((Heat Death of the Universe? I live in the South guys. It's always hot here, even in the winter. I think y'all exaggerating a bit with saying the whole universe is going to burn.))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: August 23, 2013, 03:16:32 pm »

((Heat Death of the Universe? I live in the South guys. It's always hot here, even in the winter. I think y'all exaggerating a bit with saying the whole universe is going to burn.))

(( The 'Heat Death of the Universe' refers to the death OF heat, rather than death BY heat, though both are a misleading way to describe how we expect the universe to end in this scenario :P ))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: August 23, 2013, 03:17:48 pm »

((Isn't it actually when the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics basically says that heat will be about all that's left of anything?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 243