Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 435660 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette mission 10: Ice 9
« Reply #1890 on: August 22, 2013, 12:30:07 pm »

Quote from: Xan->Steve
We've triggered an entropy event that will probably consume the whole planet. Stacy's manipulator overloaded. Feyri's disabled. We need to get off planet, NOW.
We're heading toward the palace.

KEEP FUCKING RUNNING AWAY. TOWARDS THE PALACE. Inform anyone not running away of the wiseness of running the fuck away.
Message Steve as above and hope we get pickup.

>I have noticed, you know. Cameras and all. However, there is still work left undone and I'm afraid you're not getting a pick up until it's finished. I'm also afraid I can't tell you what that work is, only that it is being handled. For now, continue to evacuate, help anyone you can, and remain calm. The Effect that stacy unleashed may not stop spreading, but it should slow down over time as it increases in size.

If you would like I could attempt to add energy to it, to perhaps slow it down. The laser batteries I have access to are not as powerful as my cannons; but they may work. 

You keep running. There's not much more you can do. You pass Feyri on the way to the Third level stairs.

((What happened to make her 'die'? She rolled a five on her END check.))
Four, actually. But what happened is that the roll for seeing how many people would get hit came back as 4. The rolls to see who came back with her name, among others. And the roll to see how potentially badly came back quite high, though not permanently fatal high, lucky for her. And then the rolls needed to save her failed.

When someone is really injured like this, I can tell you there were usually somewhere between 3 and 5 rolls that went poorly for them; it's not just "Rocks fall and you die."

"I... walk along... darkened corridors..." Stacy solemnly and repeatedly chants as he runs as fast as he can, as far as he can.

Run like hell up to the third terrace post-haste, making sure to avoid May's path, and further than that if possible, as far away from the Ice-9 as possible. Urge civilians to follow behind me.

((Thing is, piecewise doesn't show all rolls. There was probably a set of unfavorable ones - direly unfavorable ones involved. If she hadn't rolled that high on endurance, she probably would have jerked and tumbled out of the sky, probably squashing Grate and Lyra in the process.

As always, the largely innocent suffer for the crimes of the criminally stupid.))
[dex:3+1]
You run for the third terrace, attempting to out pace the hail of ice spears and fluid gases. You almost make it.
[end:2]
The shard that gets you is a small one, but it catches you right in the ankle and severs your Achilles tendon on it's way down through the sole of your foot. Your MKII handles the pain and the bleeding; but that won't help the damage. Your leg won't bend; it's just laying there useless, it might as well have been cut off. You can't run like this; the best you can do is hobble. You've made it to the center of the second terrace, but you won't make it much further without help.

((Thing is, piecewise doesn't show all rolls. There was probably a set of unfavorable ones - direly unfavorable ones involved. If she hadn't rolled that high on endurance, she probably would have jerked and tumbled out of the sky, probably squashing Grate and Lyra in the process.

As always, the largely innocent suffer for the crimes of the criminally stupid.))
((I'd argue against that, as said rolls are pertinent for the player to understand given the case that certain rolls are shown in its stead.

...And a very specific shard :/ That too. [/biased]))
There were shards flying all over the place. It's like the shrapnel from a grenade; you're not the only one who got hit; you just got hit the worst.

PS: Grate or Lyra, you might want to pick up her head.))
((Isn't it still attached?
...Also, was Grate ever briefed about that?))
((MKIII's have a decapitation mechanism to allow recovery of the user's head.))
Charles continues running away from the ice, he flips his rifle's safety back on and rests it on his shoulder. Every now and then, he glances at his wrist pad checking the ice's expansion speed through the visual feed of his rifle's scope.
You make it to the third terrace stairs, but it looks like the effect has completely subsumed the first level and is moving toward the second.

Feyri scoops up both you and grate and immediately takes off, flying toward the upper level of the palace with one of you under each arm. You're passing over the wall to the second level when it happens.
[dex:4+1]
A shard of the super ice, sharp as a spear of glass and several feet long, is arcing down right toward you and Feyri. She can't see it; her back is to the sky and there's no time to warn her. But you can see it. And you have a chance to stop it.
[Exo:2]
But you can't. You can't focus, you can't bring the power your amp to bear. The shard punches straight down; through Feyri's back and out her chest. It clips you as it goes, carving a frozen, blackened gash out of your left arm. 

Feryi's had a hard life in the corps. Her heroism has often been rewarded with nothing but injuries and waking up in the infirmary with more parts missing. She's been shot, broken, electrocuted and decapitated. Her organs are more plastic then flesh and what little of her original muscle remains clings to titanium bones. So when the shard of ice, sharp as a hypodermic needle and long as a fence post, half impales, half freezes it's way straight between her shoulder blades and out through her sternum, taking much of the contents of her thoracic cavity with it, she doesn't flinch. She doesn't even really feel it; there's not enough pain receptors left.

For a moment, she dips down, her flight unsteady. But then she rises again, clears the second level wall and zooms out toward the third. She makes it about half way across the second terrace before she finally falters and dips low, wavering as she flies toward the ground. She pulls back and lands on her feet, jogging to a stop as the momentum of the landing carries her an extra dozen yards. She slowly sets her two small passengers down and looks at them. The eerie colorless glow of the advancing entropy bomb shines through the ragged hole where her chest used to be and strange colored artificial blood and organ fluids pour down her legs and puddle on the ground. She jerkily lifts one arm and pats Grate's head.

"Run." She whispers breathlessly, eyes cloudy and blind behind the visor. "Run. Run. Run"

Her arm falls limp and her head lulls back, looking up at the stars. Her body suddenly tenses up and there's a metallic clink as the her suit's neck iris snaps shut. She doesn't fall. She just stands there, silent.
Eyes wide, teeth clenched, and despite the eerie sense of the entire world moving in slow motion and hyperspeed at the same time, shove Grate ahead, hopefully far enough ahead that he won't see what I'm about to do unless he turns around. followed by Detaching Feyri's already-cut-off head using the suit's quick-release, cradle it against my chest, similar to how someone carries a football, and continue to run away, carrying her head with me. again, use my amp to shield myself and/or anyone near me as necessary.

now is not the time for guilt. now is not the time to mourn. now is not the time for fear. now is the time to act. ACT.
[exo:4]
You detach feyri's head and then shield yourself and grate from a flurry of small ice shards with a dome of heat.  As soon as they've burst into steam or been deflected away, you press Feyri's head to your chest and start running, with grate right behind you. You both make it to the third story terrace stairs, along with most everyone else.

Quote from: Grate -> Xan
Okay...

Make sure Ms. Lyra is running towards the palace. If she is, run towards the palace. If not, grab her or Ms. Feyri's head and run towards the palace.
You follow Lyra, staying close to her, even though you don't know how to feel about leaving Feyri's body behind. You're pretty sure she needs that.

May sprinted through the steps, "Oh dear oh god oh fuck shit-" and took a brief look in the sky. The shards, the pieces. It was magnificently beautiful when viewed from the perspective of someone detached from the situation. The next thing May knew, she was watching Feyri get run through with a big-ass piece, human matter spurting from a hole through her chest.

"We're all going to die tonight."

Keep running. Smash anything, or anyone, in the way with the Kinetic Amp.
You keep running, straight past feyri's body and up to the third level stairs. You wave your amp around like a crazy man with a broken bottle, screaming that you'll "Pulp the fuck out of anyone that gets in my goddamn way."

(( Wow. A 5 on a manipulator based defense. Thank you, dice, for I did not want to be crushed like Feyri. Shame about that other manipulator roll that didn't protect her XD ))

By Radio: FAITH, we have BIGGER issues than the fire and the nuke now, looks like someone overloaded an amp at the gates! Most of us are retreating up to the higher levels ASAP, but we're not sure if it will make a difference. If you can direct us to a good escape route, now is the time! Also... I think Feyri is down... She fell out of the sky on the second level terrace. Will try to keep you up to date.

Run higher. Take cover behind any buildings if more ice shards are coming, try and remember where the shuttle should be.
A shard of ice the size of a small car embeds itself in the ground no more then a foot from you on your way up to the third terrace stairs. It leaves you uninjured, though your waste disposal system does kick on.

((...

Daaaayumn.

Well there goes my arm ;_; I liked that arm.))

FUCK IT RUUUUUUUN.
You make a mental note about requesting the proper forms to request a requisition order for an appointment to talk to a secretary about talking to the doctor about getting a new arm.

You keep running, mildly thankful for the fact that the ice destroyed your nerves and froze the blood so at least you can keep going. You make it to the third terrace stairs.

Keep running. Watch out for any incoming shards. Try to look back over the shoulder from time to time and dodge or cut the projectiles using bullet time.

If necessary, abandon hobbling man in favor of the girl carrying Feyri's head.

You see the shard coming; a glint of blueish white hissing toward you and Xan.
[will:2+2]
The world slows to a not completely steady crawl around you. You let go of Xan and draw your sword all in one motion as you spin on your heel to face the coming threat.
[uncon:3+2]
You plant your feet, dig in and time your blow, swinging well ahead of the ice to give your slow, meaty body time to react. You swing the monoatomic blade like a bat, half slicing half bludgeoning the ice away. To you, it's all so very boring and slow. To anyone else, it's a bit more exciting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/atlvni9gw9elonn/map2.png

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: August 22, 2013, 12:35:29 pm »

((ohshi... goddamnIT.))

Run back to the guy who just got his leg made useless, pick him up by the back of the neck with my kinetic glove thing, and then... fuck it if I'm rescuing him he's gonna be useful... Use him as a shield while I abscond.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: August 22, 2013, 01:03:08 pm »

((You may want to rethink that. If you pink his up with your kinetic amp active, you'll just kill him...))
((Did everyone hear Steve or only Xan?))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: August 22, 2013, 01:20:36 pm »

"... and I... walk along... darkened... corridors..."

Lie down and roll toward the stairs to the third terrace as quickly as possible. If/when that other old guy arrives to help, cooperate as nicely as possible. If he uses me as a shield, so be it, as long as I'm out and preferably not dead.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:26:27 pm by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: August 22, 2013, 02:03:01 pm »

Quote from: Grate -> Everyone
Where arewe going an dhow long until we canleave?

Keep running to the palace. Try to find Kitten (remember? The servant person Grate befriended?)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: August 22, 2013, 02:12:00 pm »

Charles detatches his rifle's scope and magazine. He places the magazine to face the expanding field and the scope next to it, facing the field as well. He continues running. He will detonate it via wristpad when the field is close to it.
He radios everyone "I've set up magazine and scope. Access the visual feed via wristpad. If any of you see that the field is rather close to it, detonate the magazine using the wristpad."
Argh! Not now! Please... not now!
Charles's mind is invaded by delusional whispers as his vision explodes with a cascade of arbitrary numbers. He tries to ignore the whispers which chanted, mantra like, welcoming him to "Ground Zero" and indifferently narrating his thoughts and actions actions.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:48:14 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: August 22, 2013, 07:06:54 pm »

Keep running and watching, ready to repeat what I just did. Keep going for the palace as fast as possible.

If Feyri's body is somewhere along the way to the third terrace, drag it along as long as it isn't too encumbering, or make Xan hold onto it (to keep at least one of my hands free at all times).

((EDIT: New action posted.))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:19:03 am by Grunhill »
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: August 22, 2013, 07:31:21 pm »

((Yeah, I know. I wasn't replying to your post, in case it seemed like it. It's just that at the time reading you mention Faith made me recall she's somewhere and I decided to post, partially waiting to see if IronyOwl decides to make a vague statement about Faith's current activities.))
((You'll get nothing from me. Nothiiiiiiing!))

By Radio: FAITH, we have BIGGER issues than the fire and the nuke now, looks like someone overloaded an amp at the gates! Most of us are retreating up to the higher levels ASAP, but we're not sure if it will make a difference. If you can direct us to a good escape route, now is the time! Also... I think Feyri is down... She fell out of the sky on the second level terrace. Will try to keep you up to date.
There is no response.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: August 22, 2013, 07:45:07 pm »

(( Hm... Steve makes me think that maybe this was supposed to take a biiiit longer before things went apeshit, and that Faith was supposed to have time to engage in some espionage and, more importantly, recruit some of us to this task. Cause right now it certainly looks like we've got the entire mission leaning on just Faith to pull it out of the shitter XD ))

I swear these things are out to get me...

Glance at the palace, look for ways into the building. If it looks like the event is still advancing quickly, retreat back to a palace entrance.
If it looks like this position will remain safe for a while, direct people nearby up to the palace and protect the stairs with the manipulator.

(( That won't end poorly ))

((Yeah, I know. I wasn't replying to your post, in case it seemed like it. It's just that at the time reading you mention Faith made me recall she's somewhere and I decided to post, partially waiting to see if IronyOwl decides to make a vague statement about Faith's current activities.))

There is no response.

(( Awesome. You and PW had better come clean after we all die to this :P ))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: August 22, 2013, 08:04:57 pm »

There is no response.
((Not Faith too D:))

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: August 22, 2013, 08:17:30 pm »

Continue running, punching all solid matter in the way.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: August 22, 2013, 08:22:24 pm »

There is no response.
(( I don't think she's dead, just not communicating. At least, I *hope* she's not dead, because otherwise we are quite doomed XD ))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: August 22, 2013, 08:42:27 pm »

Continue to run, continue to shield as necessary, continue.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: August 22, 2013, 09:21:55 pm »

There is no response.
(( I don't think she's dead, just not communicating. At least, I *hope* she's not dead, because otherwise we are quite doomed XD ))
((She's probably just frozen. Or having some personal time.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1904 on: August 22, 2013, 09:39:04 pm »

As the majority of the team makes it's way up the third terrace stairs, they hear something. Something very loud and distinct, even amongst the crashing of ice and screaming of citizens and hiss of freezing atmosphere around them.

Hallelujah!

And then a large chunk of one of the palace's upper level walls explodes outward.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 243