Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 163

Author Topic: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!  (Read 195880 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Reudh's Hilarious Australasian politics thread!
« Reply #1425 on: April 05, 2014, 09:22:36 am »

I thought revotes were a myth.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: April 05, 2014, 07:01:41 pm »

Ye best start believing in revotes, yer in one!
Ok, maybe not you, but Western Australia is after enough voters were lost to change the result. Anyway, official results are here! They are still coming in and so are subject to change, but you get the idea.

Scotty Ludlam managed to poll 16%, and is election on first preferences. Both Labor and the Liberals took a pounding, with 5% swings away from them. Palmer did much better than I thought he would, but his party spent more than all the others combined. The Nationals have dropped below 4% and will struggle from now onward.

Final spot is a fight between Libs and Labs, looking good for Pratt, but far from certain.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: April 24, 2014, 09:48:47 am »

Happy ANZAC day folks.

Whatever your political leanings, I hope you spend a minute in silence today to reflect on the brave souls who defend your right to express them.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: April 24, 2014, 09:51:44 am »

Yeah, Australia would probably be under the cusp of a totalitarian Ottoman Empire otherwise.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: April 24, 2014, 10:09:03 am »

The holiday looks like thinly veiled nationalism to me.

I mean, the US has independance day, but that's blatant nationalism.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: April 24, 2014, 10:32:43 am »

The cookies are far more important than the nationalism though. Mmmmm cookies.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: April 24, 2014, 10:39:37 am »

Those DO look delicious!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: April 24, 2014, 06:28:14 pm »

The cookies are far more important than the nationalism though. Mmmmm cookies.

THEY ARE BISCUITS >:(

It's actually illegal in Australia and New Zealand to sell anything labelled an ANZAC cookie. They are, however, delicious.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: April 25, 2014, 02:01:18 am »

It's significantly more solemn than Independence day, as ANZAC Day is purely to remind us of the sacrifices of our countrymen and women. Remembrance Day is also similar.

Australia Day, on 26th of January is the one you're thinking of - it's almost always a grand day, marred by the occasional graffiti and flag-cape wearing yobs.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: April 25, 2014, 04:58:16 am »

Don't diss the flag-cape mate, I had to drink a hell of a lot of beers to get the right scratchie to win one at the pub. I worked for mine.

Anyway, I applaud the Marshall Islands for their guts in taking on the big boys. It's not like they've got much to lose anyhow, since their whole nation will most likely be underwater soon according to global warming believers.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: April 25, 2014, 05:51:00 am »

In weird news today, a drunk individual tried to force their way into a Virgin Oz flight in Indonesia. Cue people on social media assuming that Anzac Day had something to do with this.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: April 25, 2014, 09:45:07 am »

It's alright. They're not on a boat, so we'll let 'em in.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: April 25, 2014, 09:57:38 am »

It's significantly more solemn than Independence day, as ANZAC Day is purely to remind us of the sacrifices of our countrymen and women. Remembrance Day is also similar.

Yeah, what I remember of ANZAC Day is that it's far less "Australia/New Zealand FUCK YEAH!" and more "Jesus Christ, we got our asses kicked at Gallipoli." More like what Memorial Day in the US *used* to be like, as a remembrance of war dead. Although now Memorial Day in the US just means the start of cook-out season and sales, sales, sales! Pretty much any holiday or anniversary is an excuse to get people shopping.

I'm frankly surprised we haven't seen 9/11 sales yet. "Our prices are coming down like the Twin Towers! You'd have to be Al Qaeda crazy not to take advantage of deals like these!" >_>  (too soon?)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: April 25, 2014, 10:01:25 am »

Yeah, what I remember of ANZAC Day is that it's far less "Australia/New Zealand FUCK YEAH!" and more "Jesus Christ, we got our asses kicked at Gallipoli." More like what Memorial Day in the US *used* to be like, as a remembrance of war dead. Although now Memorial Day in the US just means the start of cook-out season and sales, sales, sales! Pretty much any holiday or anniversary is an excuse to get people shopping.

I'm frankly surprised we haven't seen 9/11 sales yet. "Our prices are coming down like the Twin Towers! You'd have to be Al Qaeda crazy not to take advantage of deals like these!" >_>  (too soon?)

We all know you're being sarcastic on that last part, so it's ok.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 163