Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 166

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (44.12) - DF2019 Updated 24th Nov 2021  (Read 911555 times)

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (42.06) - DF2016 - Newest version!
« Reply #930 on: June 10, 2016, 01:51:25 am »

Can someone post a save? I'll do some profiling to see if it's anything I can deal with (I.E. DFHack).

If you at all want Putnam, I have a Hermit Mode save that has an abysmal 22 FPS at the moment

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sfum88b6mdzqvnd/AAB4mAEZGk8DhKjRg5dkdSyda?dl=0

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 10, 2016, 02:22:37 am »

Can someone post a save? I'll do some profiling to see if it's anything I can deal with (I.E. DFHack).

If you at all want Putnam, I have a Hermit Mode save that has an abysmal 22 FPS at the moment

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sfum88b6mdzqvnd/AAB4mAEZGk8DhKjRg5dkdSyda?dl=0

15% of the CPU time (and thus the most likely cause of FPS death by far, given that it shows up 9 times as much as the second most common instruction) is Dwarf Fortress.exe!0x01d8c2bf. Not sure what that is. The exact instruction in assembly causing the problem is mov eax,[ebx+04h], which... TELLS ME NOTHING LOL

i think it might be because of cache misses or something

Srip121

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 10, 2016, 02:22:47 am »

Which version of Windows are you on?

Thanks, but I didn't think to save when the spike hit.  I have a save from afterwards but I dunno if it's useful since it's not really acting up at this time.  I'll repost another day if I can get a bad one.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12128

Yeah, I couldn't get a spike when I was trying to check it out. I also did or saw some stuff that I know causes DFHack-related spikes sometimes--birth, death--but that didn't do anything. All of the main causes of FPS death are still DF-based, which I can't make heads or tails of since I haven't properly trained in the ways of reading disassembly.

Windows 10

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 10, 2016, 05:29:04 am »

Windows 10

I'm having the issue too, I'll try running in compatibility mode.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 05:33:10 am by Darkond2100 »
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 10, 2016, 08:03:05 am »

Wasn't having any of the aforementioned FPS issues on my first game, but then I tweaked a couple of settings (mainly disabling things - hungry ghosts, various civs, decaying food), genned a new world, and now I'm getting about 13FPS on a fort with just 10 orcs, whereas my old fort with 85 runs at 30FPS at the very minimum

This is also on Windows 10 if that matters

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #935 on: June 10, 2016, 10:51:51 am »

Wasn't having any of the aforementioned FPS issues on my first game, but then I tweaked a couple of settings (mainly disabling things - hungry ghosts, various civs, decaying food), genned a new world, and now I'm getting about 13FPS on a fort with just 10 orcs, whereas my old fort with 85 runs at 30FPS at the very minimum

This is also on Windows 10 if that matters
This is really strange. The added creatures etc dont affect fps much, neither would items or materials in such a small fort. It must be dfhack for all that I know, some script that runs in the background and eats all the precious FPS... but only succubus, TWBT and TESB runs in the background, and the succubus scripts have been there for a while... its not them. And TWBT seems to work fine with vanilla; TESB I dont know how much it impacts FPS, but if its not enabled... well, then I dont know.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #936 on: June 10, 2016, 01:05:43 pm »

I'm wondering if his new embark has a large amount of flowing water or something underground that hasn't been revealed. I found out that was the cause for my own FPS tanking once, when other embarks had been fine.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 10, 2016, 01:40:25 pm »

This is really strange. The added creatures etc dont affect fps much, neither would items or materials in such a small fort. It must be dfhack for all that I know, some script that runs in the background and eats all the precious FPS... but only succubus, TWBT and TESB runs in the background, and the succubus scripts have been there for a while... its not them. And TWBT seems to work fine with vanilla; TESB I dont know how much it impacts FPS, but if its not enabled... well, then I dont know.
There are two TESB background scripts that scan every creature on the map and two that scan every job completion, so they would scale with fort size.  As best I can tell, the performance hit is minimal, and no non-Masterwork players of the mod have complained about FPS issues.  If someone has a large fort with TESB active I can test a save or PM the player with instructions to temporarily switch off the background scripts.  Obviously, if TESB was not active then the world was generated, none of the background scripts run anyway.

I did figure out a way to design around the need for one of the background scripts, which will be in TESB v2.08 in plenty of time for MW v1.06.  But as I said I don't expect that have any real impact anyway.

Edit: fixed quote tags.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:10:55 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 10, 2016, 02:06:04 pm »

I had similar complains on vanilla. Maybe some worlds are plain screwy? For instance, if you remove dfhack and let the save run for a while, how is the fps?

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 10, 2016, 02:37:40 pm »

Yeah, this was in Orc Fort mode, with print mode set to 2D Truetype, and all the TESB options disabled :/ And it's not like something had changed on the computer, 'cause I can literally save the laggy game, reload the first fort without even quitting DF and it runs perfectly fine :/

I can have a go running it without DFhack tomorrow, assuming that won't completely break things? Didn't try Smake's suggestion of  "reload -all" yet either

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 10, 2016, 05:25:18 pm »

There are two TESB background scripts that scan every creature on the map and two that scan every job completion, so they would scale with fort size.  As best I can tell, the performance hit is minimal, and no non-Masterwork players of the mod have complained about FPS issues.  If someone has a large fort with TESB active I can test a save or PM the player with instructions to temporarily switch off the background scripts.  Obviously, if TESB was not active then the world was generated, none of the background scripts run anyway.

I did figure out a way to design around the need for one of the background scripts, which will be in TESB v2.08 in plenty of time for MW v1.06.  But as I said I don't expect that have any real impact anyway.

Edit: fixed quote tags.

I can actually tell you the exact performance hit on that--it appears to be .677% of a tick in that orc fortress smake posted above, and that's assuming that EventManager::unregisterAll(class DFHack::Plugin*) is from TESB exclusively, which is not a good assumption at all. It's basically negligible, though there's a small possibility it could be causing the spikes.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 10, 2016, 05:35:02 pm »

Putnam & Dirst-

TESB (and TWBT) should be off for that save I uploaded, actually.  So I have no idea what sort of background-running Plugins there are.  Gauntlet Handedness Checker seems to fire sometimes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 10, 2016, 05:36:36 pm »

TWBT was running, so I'm guessing that's not a save-specific thing.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 10, 2016, 05:41:54 pm »

TWBT was running, so I'm guessing that's not a save-specific thing.

Ah, ok, that makes sense at least in the case of TWBT.

Srip121

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 10, 2016, 05:55:47 pm »

Windows 10

I'm having the issue too, I'll try running in compatibility mode.
Any luck? Mine doesn't wanna work even in compatibility mode.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 166