Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 102764 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2013, 09:04:35 am »

I will suggest the flying japanese squid-like "flight" a second time. Plus increased agility of the tentacles. And a fanged mouth.
All sound good to me.
I, too, will +1
+1

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2013, 09:14:05 am »

The top pair of tentacles (they're bony, so we might as well start calling them jaws) are fanged. The bottom pair is slicer/shovels, and the middle pair is general big-spiky-teeth.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2013, 10:23:32 am »

I will suggest the flying japanese squid-like "flight" a second time. Plus increased agility of the tentacles. And a fanged mouth.
All sound good to me.
I, too, will +1
+1
+1

On another note, I again suggest the stealing of chlorophyll.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 18, 2013, 11:08:33 am »

All sound good to me.
I, too, will +1
+1
+1

On another note, I again suggest the stealing of chlorophyll.
+1 to all
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2013, 11:09:52 am »

Meh. More intelligence as well? Group behaviour enhanced?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 18, 2013, 11:20:56 am »

Okay, current votes are:

Propulsion gliding x6
Nimbler tentacles x6
Chlorophyll x2
Intelligence x1
More group organisation x1

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2013, 11:22:51 am »

Intelligence and organization +1.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2013, 11:23:40 am »

Okay, current votes are:

Propulsion gliding x6
Nimbler tentacles x6
Chlorophyll x2
Intelligence x1
More group organisation x1
I shall +1 all of these except for the propulsion and tentacles which I already +1'd.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2013, 11:24:44 am »

I'll give ten more minutes to see if anyone wants to get those three in. Chlorophyll, Intelligence and Organisation all require 1 more vote to become an evolution.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2013, 11:36:49 am »

+ Intelligence and organisation

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 18, 2013, 11:52:58 am »

EVOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Chlorophyll- 1, Nimbler tentacles- 3, Gliding- 6

(the random number gods don't seem to like chlorophyll)

The gliding shoalcore, when it comes to its name, is the opposite of the flying fish. A flying fish glides, but a gliding shoalcore flies. This enables it to completely avert the problems of slogging through thick vegetation, as well as making it the ultimate ambush predator of this time. Spearfaced worms and grindfish from the estuary had moved in, devouring areas of vegetation and hunting us for food, but a simple reaction of leaping out of the water snowballed into true flight. Extremely large and well-muscled pelvic fins provide the bulk of its staying-in-the-air, while the thorachic fins continuously flap to propel it through the air. Its primitive lungs can't keep up this activity for long, but it has meant that a single population now covers both the lake and the river. Its skin has a thin layer of keratinous scales to prevent sunburn in the event of being stranded on land. The fins on its underside have developed simple joints and feet to help push it back into the air if this happens.

The hives, like earlier generations, can now stick themselves onto the shoalcore and its guidelings, before using them like reindeer on a sleigh. The guidelings are able to travel on land to graze.

Clogweed is beginning to cover the banks of the river. Various species of grindfish and spearface have moved in.

GENERATION 16:
Gliding shoalcore
A murky green-and-brown tassled fish-like animal that hunts in the dense growth of the river. They swim with their powerful tails and use their fanged tentacles to attack and kill their prey. They can fly. They grow up to 25 centimetres long, and their offspring are called tentaclets.
SENSES: It has a sense of touch that lets it figure out if it's touching food, and an extremely good sense of smell/taste. Symbiotic guidelings help it find live prey. A keen electrical sense lets it find creatures that are close to it, and it can feel vibrations in the water from moving creatures.
REPRODUCTION: It lets out male cells when they meet a mate they approve of, and growths grow inside of the womb. Tentaclets follow their mother until they can be dropped off at their hive. They eat mucus that the hive creates and, when they are large enough, find a suitable guideling to make a nest with.
MOVEMENT: They move by swimming like a fish. Sacs of carbon dioxide keep them buoyant. They also have jets which also function as their gills, which they use to make fine movement. They fly by using their large pectoral fins as wings and their thorachic fins as engines. Their top fins and bottom fins are not used in flight.
EATING: It impales small animals and digests them by drawing them into the guts. They are able to prey on fast swimmers, and they  use venom. Most of their food is from grazing worms and the dense vegetation.
PREDATION: We are mostly unpredated.
COMPETITION: Dwarf spearfaces are the main competition, still.
ENVIRONMENT: An overgrown lake and river. We are the dominant species in the lake, and a highly effective one in the river.

HOME TERRITORY:  Massive overgrown lake, Wide river
NEARBY ENVIRONMENTS: muddy estuary, fast-flowing river

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 18, 2013, 11:57:32 am »

Evolve lungs and wing structuring such that we can now both fly and swim almost indefinately.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 18, 2013, 11:58:31 am »

Evolve lungs and wing structuring such that we can now both fly and swim almost indefinately.
+1
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 18, 2013, 12:08:46 pm »

+1 and scales/thick skin to avoid dehydratation.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 62