Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 102417 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #315 on: May 20, 2013, 03:19:01 pm »

Direct mating -1.

Burrowing hive +1.

Horizontal gene transfer : Basically, a system that allows for "usefull" genes to be transferred from a single specimen to another without needing offspring.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 20, 2013, 03:41:24 pm »

Horizontal gene transfer : Basically, a system that allows for "usefull" genes to be transferred from a single specimen to another without needing offspring.
There isn't really any way of knowing which gene is useful, and a successful animal is hardly going to give its genes to some randomer it doesn't know.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 20, 2013, 03:43:14 pm »

Tentative +1, horizontal gene transfes is almost unheard of in eukariotes, lets see how this plays out.

New idea!

Catal cast developes pouches of the digestive system to hold sybiotic algae. The pouches are near the outer surface and are translucent as is the skin over them

Improve wings +1.
Improve brain +1.
Improve claws +1.
+1
Begin implanting eggs and hives into neorotoxin-disabled leggedgrinders.
good long range plan but first we need to make the soldier and catle guidelings air breathers. Theoreticly the hive can get its nutrition and resperation from interfacing with the leggedgrinder's circulatory system. burowing may even act as a pre adaptation, the tube for holding the tunel open would translate nicly, and the hive could develope a special pouch for holding our eggs, but for now we should focuse on the short term small steps.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 20, 2013, 03:48:48 pm »

There isn't really any way of knowing which gene is useful, and a successful animal is hardly going to give its genes to some randomer it doesn't know.
The first part is a bit sticky, IRL the transfered information is usualy eaither randome, neare a virus insertion site, or on a specilized plasmid. Natural selection gets rid of the bad ones. The second part is simpler, its copy paste not cut and paste. the risk to the donar is neglagable (unless the recipeant is going to out compeate the donar afterwards)

Edit: oops! though for sure someone would ninja me and prevent this from being a double post, what with my typing speed and all
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:50:57 pm by kopout »
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 20, 2013, 03:50:08 pm »

The first part is a bit sticky, IRL the transfered information is usualy eaither randome, neare a virus insertion site, or on a specilized plasmid. Natural selection gets rid of the bad ones. The second part is simpler, its copy paste not cut and paste. the risk to the donar is neglagable (unless the recipeant is going to out compeate the donar afterwards)
Yeah, that last bit. And it'd be way too much work to rewrite your ENTIRE genome just to get an extra bit in, that's what sexual reproduction is for.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 20, 2013, 03:56:55 pm »

Yeah, that last bit. And it'd be way too much work to rewrite your ENTIRE genome just to get an extra bit in, that's what sexual reproduction is for.
You don't rewright the entire thing, just the part that is homologus to the donated part. IRL only a smal fragment is transfered, It lines up in part or in whole with a peice of the recipeant genome and they are swaped out by homolgus recombonation, or if its a plasmid it just gose into the cell cytoplasm, or if transmited with a virus (or potentialy a virus like particle) is just inserts into the genome at a sequence defind by the enzimes it came with. Horazontal gene transfer is complicated , mostly becuse of how many types there are.

Edit: this is shaping up to be a very scholorly quote pyramid :P

Edit2: you can get around the danger of being out compeated by the recipiant if youi only donate to individuals in the same pack and use group selection to make it profitable to bothe the donor and recipiant. If everyone in a group is working together then they arn't compeating against one another but rather against other groups
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 04:01:21 pm by kopout »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 20, 2013, 08:06:49 pm »

+1 to Horizontal Gene Transfer

I'd also like to suggest making the hive thingy mobile and like a giant snail thing.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 22, 2013, 01:14:45 pm »

Memory/learning x5
Scissor-claws x5
Better wings x5
Walk on wings x3
Contact sex x2
Hive in mud x3
Algae-symbiotic caste x1
Lay eggs x1
Implant offspring into leggedgrinders x2
MOAR SNIPAH NEUROTOXIN x1
Mobile hive x1

Any more votes?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 22, 2013, 01:18:09 pm »

+1 to all.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 22, 2013, 01:20:20 pm »

+1 to contact sex
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 22, 2013, 02:56:34 pm »

+1 to EVERYTHING!

InZane

• Bay Watcher
  • [PIMP_CANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 22, 2013, 05:15:11 pm »

I PTW anything that seems interesting

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 23, 2013, 10:39:13 am »

Well done guys. You have literally approved EVERYTHING ON THE ENTIRE LIST. The only thing that could be better is if you made an extra six things and approved them before I got back.

*goes off grumbling about how long this is going to take*
alsopostplz dunlikedoublepost

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 23, 2013, 10:40:23 am »

Ok.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 23, 2013, 10:44:35 am »

Quick! post extra six things we can approve before he comes back!
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 62