Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4122770 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r3
« Reply #2325 on: February 04, 2015, 12:34:01 pm »

Okay, I just downloaded the pack, so please do not update for a while.  I dont wanna have to redownload it for a while.

You're always free to delay updating for as long as you want, or skip it entirely - whatever you have will keep working. If the popup is annoying, you can set it to check for updates less often.

No, you don't understand; I can't bear to play an outdated version, knowing that there's an updated version ;_;

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: February 04, 2015, 12:37:51 pm »

No, you don't understand; I can't bear to play an outdated version, knowing that there's an updated version ;_;
And here is 40.24 Starter Pack r4, which changes a single pixel in one of the graphics packs.  And we won't tell you which one. ;)

Just kidding, I've yet to see PE put out a pack that wasn't an improvement or at least fixed something.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: February 04, 2015, 05:36:23 pm »

And here is 40.24 Starter Pack r4, which changes a single pixel in one of the graphics packs.  And we won't tell you which one. ;)

Just kidding, I've yet to see PE put out a pack that wasn't an improvement or at least fixed something.

I am aware of this issue - there's a balance between updating too often, and holding back nice stuff because it doesn't feel like enough.  Generally I just keep waiting until there's a decent changelog, which takes anywhere between a few days and a few weeks.  This has been an unusual period though; DF itself usually has a less direct impact on everyone else's release schedules...

Some people said to me, here, it could be better to start this game without any pack, without using DF Hack, just the base game and (eventually) a graphic pack.

I thought I'll do as they said but... This game has enough complex things in it... I read about 600 pages of text, looked at tenth of hours videos since I looked into this game, a month ago... and I still have trouble to make a proper fortress (I do admit I had little time to play since 15 days anyway ;)).

This pack helped me A BUNCH... no headache trying to configure proprely things, sound in game, a few improved screen (I particularly like the Therapist like job manager in game), a few automatons and helping shorcuts (like the Ctrl+D in any workshop to duplicate)... many things coming with DF Hacks... and later when I reached 40 or more dwarves, a little of Therapist... (I don't like Autolabor so much because it do everything for you... Thing you can have with therapist optimiser too but...).

Anyway, I don't think your pack made me lazy, it just avoided I spend 10th of hours looking for guide to install and make things working correctly, time I were able to spend to actually learn the game mechanics through videos and books.

You are right. Its usually a case of elitism in a cult following of a game, people who for some reason believe that using ASCII graphics in a computer game makes any difference to their worth as a human being on this tiny blue speck in the galactic ocean we inhabit..

I also, like you, spent tens of hours watching lets plays and tutorials, reading wikis and guides to actually learn the game and interface.  I can't say it was "worth it", IF the current status of DF Hack and the other great things (TextWillBeText, MultiLevel, Vein mining etc) existed then, to learn the "vanilla way".

I wish i was as lucky as new players are today. The game is in a far far far better state, more playable and accessible than ever (it is a good word, it doesnt mean that a game is an iPad game with 2 buttons). If this very pack was my first experience with Dwarf Fortress, things would have gone a lot smoother and saved me many hours of headache and confusion searching archaic threads on the forums, for info and knowledge that today is utterly useless anyway due to how the game changes (for the better).

So yes, i agree. Bloody good job that this pack exists and continued what LNP did.
There is no reason to live in the past, some things were not better before. Vanilla Dwarf Fortress certainly was not better before than it is now with all the community created features.

My favorite sumary of this if from the New Statesman magazine (!), selectively quoted below.  Full article is here.
For me to get into Dwarf Fortress a more old-fashioned approach [than just diving in] was required. I was going to have to read the manual. ... Hoping to find something better I sought help from other sources and this prompted my first encounter with the Dwarf Fortress community.

This community contains some of the most determinedly helpful people you could ever hope to find when playing a game. The resources assembled by the various members of this community are nothing short of spectacular. There is a wiki, which would soon become a sort of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy for me as I delved into the game. There are tutorials of a depth and intricacy that they could pass for Open University study courses, my particular favourites being those of Matt Thornberry and CaptnDuck.

Lastly, as well as providing copious amounts of information, the community around Dwarf Fortress has also produced modifications, tweaks and third party programs to augment the game in order to make it easier to get to grips with. In some communities the idea of making a game easier for new players would be considered sacrilege. Like the Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen sketch, players like to wear the difficulty of a game as a badge of honour. Unusually, the community of Dwarf Fortress seems to know that nothing they can really do will save new players from the horrors that the game might unleash upon them, and as such they have no qualms about easing players into the game.

With that in mind they have created starter packs...
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: February 04, 2015, 06:19:12 pm »

Oh that bolded quote is golden.  And menaces with spikes of dragon bone.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: February 04, 2015, 08:39:56 pm »

Whats with Phoebus graphics pack engravings showing a picture of what the engraving is. While i like the idea, it looks terrible in my opinion and makes it difficult to see. Any way to have the old style engravings?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I agree. Its usually hidden by default, no idea why this pack has them shown by default.

[ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:NO]
Change to YES

I have changed it to YES, but still my engravings are not obscured and it looks exactly the same.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2330 on: February 04, 2015, 09:29:32 pm »

Whats with Phoebus graphics pack engravings showing a picture of what the engraving is. While i like the idea, it looks terrible in my opinion and makes it difficult to see. Any way to have the old style engravings?

I agree. Its usually hidden by default, no idea why this pack has them shown by default.

Change to YES

I have changed it to YES, but still my engravings are not obscured and it looks exactly the same.

I believe it won't affect already existing engravings, will it?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: February 04, 2015, 09:46:32 pm »

Edit: ignore.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: February 04, 2015, 09:49:08 pm »

Change to YES

I believe it won't affect already existing engravings, will it?
Correct. Hence the name being "engravings start obscured". To change existing engravings, use d-v.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: February 06, 2015, 12:12:42 pm »

Hello,

I haven't search through this forum, only a quick google search, but recently the Launcher won't start. I get 2 instanced of it in the task manager but they just disappear.
Is there a known issue with the windows 7 built, that it doesn't want to start?

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: February 06, 2015, 12:30:49 pm »

Hello,

I haven't search through this forum, only a quick google search, but recently the Launcher won't start. I get 2 instanced of it in the task manager but they just disappear.
Is there a known issue with the windows 7 built, that it doesn't want to start?

Please take a look at stdout.txt and stderr.txt to see if any error messages appear - if so, please post them here.

I use Windows 7 for development of PyLNP, so it's supposed to work, but sometimes external factors can prevent that.

Ray Digrus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: February 06, 2015, 03:48:12 pm »

Hello.

I've experienced a strange bug: whenever I create a room for a cage, choose option "Set owner" and press '-' or '+', crush happens.

Information that I have:
+ Pure ASCII 0.40.24 can handle this and doesn't crush.
+ Crush happens in old fortresses and in new fortresses. I also did use the same save that didn't crush the vanilla DF - and it experienced a crush.
+ I use '40_24 Starter Pack r2'
+ I use MAYDAY graphics, if it's related.

I guess, this bug is reasonably worrying, so I've reported it. ::)
I didn't attach a save since this bug is easy to replicate and the saves themselves seem to be OK.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: February 06, 2015, 05:12:30 pm »

What happens if you disable TwbT?
Edit: Reproduced. I suspect it has something to do with DFHack's search plugin.
Edit 2: Tracebacks seem to imply that the zone plugin is the problem, although this could be incorrect.
Edit 3: It is indeed the zone plugin. I've reported an issue on Github and am working on fixing it.
Edit 4: Should be fixed in the next release.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:41:45 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: February 06, 2015, 05:40:03 pm »

http://i.imgur.com/NPgsozm.png

How do i turn this off and use the normal engraving look?

It really bothers me how bad it looks

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: February 06, 2015, 05:45:15 pm »

http://i.imgur.com/NPgsozm.png

How do i turn this off and use the normal engraving look?

It really bothers me how bad it looks

1. that is the normal engraving look
2. ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED in the data/init/d_init.txt file, d->v do change the ones that are already like that
3. this is the third time this week we've been over this

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: February 07, 2015, 03:13:50 am »

Please take a look at stdout.txt and stderr.txt to see if any error messages appear - if so, please post them here.

I use Windows 7 for development of PyLNP, so it's supposed to work, but sometimes external factors can prevent that.

stdout is empty

stderr:
WARNING: Field GRAZE_COEFFICIENT seems to be missing from file .\Dwarf Fortress 0.40.24\data\init\d_init.txt!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 11, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\Michael Madsen\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\core.lnp", line 78, in __init__
  File "C:\Users\Michael Madsen\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\tkgui.tkgui", line 155, in __init__
  File "C:\Users\Michael Madsen\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\tkgui.tkgui", line 241, in create_tab
  File "C:\Users\Michael Madsen\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\tkgui.tab", line 27, in __init__
  File "C:\Users\Michael Madsen\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\tkgui.graphics", line 36, in read_data
  File "C:\Users\Michael Madsen\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\tkgui.graphics", line 188, in read_graphics
  File "C:\Users\Michael Madsen\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\tkgui.graphics", line 314, in select_graphics
  File "C:\Users\Michael Madsen\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\tkgui.graphics", line 345, in paint_color_preview
  File "C:\Users\Michael Madsen\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\Tkinter", line 2272, in create_rectangle
  File "C:\Users\Michael Madsen\Documents\LazyNewbPack\python_lnp\build\lnp\out00-PYZ.pyz\Tkinter", line 2251, in _create
_tkinter.TclError: invalid color name "#d3176cb"
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 385