Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4126347 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack, 40.24-r20
« Reply #3480 on: April 05, 2016, 10:28:30 pm »

can we move our saves from vanilla df 42.06 to the latest stable version?

You can't ever move saves to an earlier version of DF, but apart from that the Starter Pack is save-compatible.

So use the 42.06 Starter Pack, and you'll be fine.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: April 09, 2016, 10:57:28 am »

Just downloaded the pack earlier today, however the launcher wont launch. I'm getting (what I believe to be) an error page. called "stderr" which says the following.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What should I do?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: April 09, 2016, 12:24:27 pm »

Just downloaded the pack earlier today, however the launcher wont launch. I'm getting (what I believe to be) an error page. called "stderr" which says the following.

What should I do?
Have you extracted LNP from the zip file and placed the contents in a directory? I wouldn't be surprised if trying to execute from within the zip will result in errors. (...\Documents sounds like an odd place to put DF, but as a place when the downloaded file would be placed).

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: April 09, 2016, 03:39:17 pm »

What should I do?
Have you extracted LNP from the zip file and placed the contents in a directory? I wouldn't be surprised if trying to execute from within the zip will result in errors. (...\Documents sounds like an odd place to put DF, but as a place when the downloaded file would be placed).

The path in stack traces is the build path from my machine; it's an artifact of the tool used to create the executables. It bears no relation to where the pack is extracted.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: April 11, 2016, 01:24:33 pm »

Crash City lately.  With both 42.06 and going back to 42.05 and now even with the stable pack 40.24r20....so frustrating.

Not tree related either just blowing up for no apparent reason.  Just now with 40.24 I was digging out a pasture area near my farms after breaching the cavern and while they were digging I was building farm plots.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: April 11, 2016, 03:40:37 pm »

TwbT is known to increase the crash frequency. I'd start fault finding by using using vanilla and then adding stuff, one thing at a time. Start by disabling DFHack from the LNP UI, exit, and then start the DF exe itself from the file system. If that doesn't crash, move to starting it from the UI, but with all utilities disabled, add DFHack, but disable all features (workflow, performance tweaks, etc). Add TwbT back if you're using it. Add each of the DFHack thingies you use one at a time.
At some stage in the process you'll probably find a marked increase in crash frequency, and the latest thing added is likely to be the culprit (although combinations of things cannot be ruled out, of course).

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: April 11, 2016, 07:50:01 pm »

Guys, I'd be happy to solve the crashes (if they're caused by TWBT) if you could follow these instructions http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.msg5624349#msg5624349 and send me crash reports.

"http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/crash_dump_settings_use_only_on_vista_and_later.zip"
still on XP here.
maybe ina  feww weeks once i get a new (second hand) Computer with win7.
also without TWBT and Mousecontrols the game is unplayable to me.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: April 11, 2016, 08:02:21 pm »

still on XP here.
maybe ina  feww weeks once i get a new (second hand) Computer with win7

Just speaking for myself here, but the Starter Pack doesn't support XP.  It might or might not work - but if you're using an OS past end-of-life, that's your problem not ours.

This makes me sound like a jerk, but there are too many known problems I can't fix...
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #3489 on: April 11, 2016, 09:26:38 pm »

still on XP here.

Just speaking for myself here, but the Starter Pack doesn't support XP.  It might or might not work - but if you're using an OS past end-of-life, that's your problem not ours.

This makes me sound like a jerk, but there are too many known problems I can't fix...

"End-of-life" is just a date set by Microsoft, the OS doesn't suddenly stop working or become unstable on that date. I'm not a big fan of supporting older OS versions too when it comes to iOS for example, where new versions really have useful (for developers I mean) features. But I don't know what in DF/DFHack/TWBT can be more unstable on XP than on later versions.

Anyway, it's even easier to get crashlog on XP, I'll check at home (yep, I use XP to build Windows versions of my plugins too).

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: April 11, 2016, 09:36:06 pm »

still on XP here.

understandable.  i won't bother you with my bugs in the future - except if got win7 here.
so  many of the DFHack probs i got could've just been due to XP support ending?
if yes, just write "yes". and i definitely won't bother myself and you with any other crashes and just hope my current savegames will work once i switch tio win7.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: April 11, 2016, 10:30:30 pm »

I'd honestly be surprised if XP were the issue. Generally, platform-specific problems manifest themselves when DF launches or loads a game, not at random times in-game. If it's TwbT-related, it's possible that old graphics hardware/drivers could be the cause of intermittent crashes, but enough people have reported issues without XP that I can't blame XP specifically.
(Of course, upgrading shouldn't hurt the situation either, and I would recommend that if you can.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: April 11, 2016, 10:51:51 pm »

when you're saying "crashes on saving" then, yes i've got those a plenty.

i'm about to receive a new "senond hand computer with win7" "soon", so i'll no longer have that prob.

just don't you bother solving my probs until i've upgraded.  8)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: April 11, 2016, 11:37:03 pm »

(I don't expect XP itself to be the problem, but at this point it's usually associated with old hardware and drivers.  Also no security updates can be pretty serious...)
 Donations here.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: April 11, 2016, 11:48:19 pm »

i got some security updates for the XP 2008 server whatever, but i guess it's definitely tiem to go on to a new OS.
anyway i won't spend a dime for a Microsoft product again, so i'll have to wait for the (old) PC with win7 preinstalled.
i coudl switch to linux any day, but that'd mean a lot of loss of software, so i hesitated many months already.
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 385