Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Demons of the Underlands - a very unusual Pokemon RP - OOC  (Read 5645 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

If you have been active or at least stalking the Games you wish existed thread, you may or may not remember one of my humble indie bundle game ideas.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If it isn't going to become a game per se anytime soon, I might as well give it a go with GMin' it.
Provided there are people willing to participate in that thing.

Before the IC thread gets rolling, I need to clear some stuff out first.

This isn't the Suggestion Game...game.
It's the other kind, I don't know if it has a name, but it's the more conventional forum RP genre anyway.

What universe?
The problem (or lack thereof) of that is that it isn't really tied to any particular universe (unless it would severely interfere with it), so...
Should we go with an already-existing game-or-otherwise universe or make a new one?
It probably doesn't need to be TRULY spectacular, this isn't Dark Souls here. (although who knows...)

The game takes place in the Pokemon universe, however humans are not present, and the world is custom as well.

Demons and/or living?
Should everyone be a demon, or are we also going for mortal characters as well? (someone out there has to summon those undead after all)

Both demons and the living are playable. Be the summoner, the summoned or the victim.

Starting at the dawn of time or at a unspecified point in the future?
Are we starting as the very first undead of the world, with no rulers of the Underlands and few living wandering the mortal plane or should we start at the point where both worlds are already sort-of established?

The game will start at a particular point of the world's history. More information will be given when the game starts.

Because I'm a lazy ass, feel free to ask questions that I'll be answering on the fly.

Character Sheet (kind of)

Code: [Select]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Pokemon Specie:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b] (if applicable)

[b]"Status":[/b] (living or demonic)

[b]Characteristics:[/b] (1-2 paragraphs)
[b]History:[/b] (2-3 paragraphs)
[b]Appearance:[/b] unique markings etc.

[b]Moves:[/b]
[b]Ability:[/b]

[b]Other things that may-or-may-not-be-important:[/b] (what else have you)

NOTES!

You can have only one ability at a time, but the isn't any restriction about the amount of moves you can learn. (demons can have multiple abilities, but only one can be "active")
This is a "pre-industrial" Pokemon era, and as such, man-made items (like the Pokeballs) don't exist. In addtion, the following Pokemon don't exist as well.

Magnemite, Magneton and Magnezone
Koffing and Weezing
Grimer and Muk
Voltorb and Electrode
Porygon, Porygon2 and PorygonZ
Trubbish and Garbodor
Kling, Klang and Klinklang

(and others that I may forget - but essentially, all technological and artificial Pokemon)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:03:08 pm by DarkDXZ »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Demons of the Underlands - OOC
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:15:36 pm »

Existing, demons and living, sort-of established
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:46:18 pm »

I know this ma-... woman she speaks good ideas.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:52:19 pm »

I know this ma-... woman she speaks good ideas.
Man, just have a female avatar.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:53:28 pm »

Or are you?

Anyway, new, demons/living, established.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 03:37:20 am »

Alright, I think it's agreed upon that it's demons and living in an already established point of time.

The problem lies within the universe.

I was thinking of:
- a modified DFverse (in the sense that we have animalmen and a part of HFS, only that Circus and the actual Underlands are two different things.)
- Pokemon universe (Mystery Dungeon-style, without humans being involved)
- truly new universe

And then you realize that both DF universe and Pokemon universes can be played in a new world, only using their creatures and whatnot.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 03:42:17 am »

What about a Warhammer-like universe? With daemons that need places that the Warp has seeped out of to materialize themselves and possess humans and other things?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 04:07:16 am »

What about a Warhammer-like universe? With daemons that need places that the Warp has seeped out of to materialize themselves and possess humans and other things?

I wanted to make it in a universe that I'm mostly familiar with, so that I could know what I'm doing.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 12:19:33 pm »

Saw your post on Games You Wish Existed. Very cool.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 12:24:36 pm »

The pokemon universe or the modded DF universe are good because you can do a whole lot with those. By the way is someone wanted to play a Human/nondemon character how would that be handled?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 07:52:29 am »

The pokemon universe or the modded DF universe are good because you can do a whole lot with those. By the way is someone wanted to play a Human/nondemon character how would that be handled?

They would play in the...Mortal world and either summon the demons/undead/souls (since demons isn't the most proper term, I realized) or be killed by those (and in turn become one of them).

Also, I think that I'm going to go with Pokemon universe
, as strange as it might be, but I have to refresh my Pokemon memory (I have little to no knowledge about Gen V Pokemon).
Gen VI stuff won't be included for reasons that should be somewhat obvious.

As for the character sheet (which is almost necessary), I'll figure it out later.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 08:19:35 am »

By pokemon universe, you mean capturing demons (or humans) in containers? That seems cool! Could I reserve for a spot? I suggest players play in pairs; for example, Player A is a human summoner and Player B is his starting demon and together they fight and become stronger. The pairs of players fight periodically in arenas to gain loot or each others demons.

Just a suggestion in case that wasn't what you were already planning.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:35:43 am »

By pokemon universe, you mean capturing demons (or humans) in containers? That seems cool! Could I reserve for a spot? I suggest players play in pairs; for example, Player A is a human summoner and Player B is his starting demon and together they fight and become stronger. The pairs of players fight periodically in arenas to gain loot or each others demons.

Just a suggestion in case that wasn't what you were already planning.

Nonono.

First of all, this is "pre-industrial" Pokemon era and and such, Pokeballs and most other stuff doesn't exist. (as well as certain Pokemon like Magnemite, Voltorb, Koffing and the like).

Second of all, I was thinking whether or not to put actual humans in there or go Mystery Dungeon style.

And although I haven't mentioned that, the demons have an ability to become immaterial (in both the mortal and undead world), which will cause them unable to attack, but they won't be able to attack, either. Which means even if you had Pokeballs they wouldn't work in all likelihood anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.
I might be hard-boiling the Pokemon universe here, but I like to hard-boil things, you know.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 09:22:54 am »

Posting to watch and reserving a spot for when it starts.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Demons of the Underlands - a very unusual Pokemon RP - OOC
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 02:08:02 pm »

Updated the OP with some relevant info.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4