Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 413323 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.67
« Reply #2325 on: October 05, 2014, 11:44:04 am »

Oh hey, good idea! If the Blades haven't already gotten to him, interrogate the Dreamer. Depending on how long this takes, we may still have time to go to Seyda Neen.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: March 28, 2015, 07:43:40 pm »

I think it's safe to say we broke it guys. We've not really added anything useful to this since the last time LB mentioned it, roughly six months ago. We've added "Go to Seyda Neen," "get more potions out of the strong one somehow," and "Sing!" to our list of uncertain "go to Seyda Neen" and "Go to the plantation" which leads to an eventual that-wouldn't-really-be-an update. Find and talk to Pelagiad's dreamer is a noteworthy one, and could be worth the trouble.

Let's kick it around a little bit.
What you do want to do?
This particular voice wants some answers.

How/why are we here?
This is an almost philosophical question in any standard large-scale universe, and a standard one in this sort of story. I don't think we're dealing with a large-scale universe so much as we are an offset of one or a pocket reality that's mimicking a game with which some of us are familiar. IF Sheogorath was telling us the truth (and there's nothing and no one saying he is or isn't, including himself) we're the only true native to this place. So, who are the false natives, and who are the visitors?

What's the point of all this?
Another question that might not have an answer in the universe we're familiar with, but is probably easily answered in Michael's. The trick is asking the right people (possibly ponies, but who knows) the right questions. We had a good start to that with Vivec, but in another way that probably threw us off into the deep end, and we don't have a boat or know how to properly swim instead of the barely keeping our head above water we've done so far. Now? If we ask the wrong people, we'll get correct answers from their viewpoint but it'll only be a part of the whole. If we ask the wrong questions, we'll founder and waste time we probably can't afford to waste.
(One possible and correct answer (for a given value of "correct") is that the point of all this is to be an interesting and entertaining game for us here. And we, the players, have collectively bogged it down through various means, hopefully unintentionally.)

We have been reactive. We try to head to places or do things, and it feels like we're hoping there'll be some obvious hook or other to latch on to and follow that. It seems pretty obvious in retrospect that that's not going to work here.

Even if we get completely stuck now - I for one have little idea who the right person is that we should talk to at this point, it could be any of five people, two of whom I have no clue how to reach - I'd like to know where all this was headed.

LordBucket, I look forward to your eventual MST3000 version, should you see fit to release it.

======
***Public notes:***

Things to remember: (In the future, unless people object, I'll start putting most of these in spoilers - not to hide them from Michael, just to take up less space out here. Unless one becomes immediately relevant. I'm keeping them all out here this time because it's been quite some time.)

Right now:
Unless I've miscounted somewhere along the way: we have one emergency healing potion, although it's one heck of a good one; we should have it appraised to see what it's worth - although let's not do that at Nalcarya's if we can avoid it, she's had enough potion-troubles from outlanders lately. We also have one water walking potion, no useful armor and two basic iron daggers. We've got 51 gold.

Azura's Shrine is easiest to reach if the Shrine to Stop the Moon works in a similar way as it does in standard Morrowind (fewer cliff racers in the way), but we have no way of being sure that she'll talk to us. I mean, Azura's quest in standard Morrowind involves a bet between her and Sheogorath, and we went and asked him for help. LordBucket only knows what kind of form that 'help' will take. I'd suggest we try to take Clover along for talking to Azura if we talk to Clover first, but there's no guarantee of that happening. Also, I'm mildly amused at the idea of taking Clover A.K.A. Twilight along to see the Daedric Prince of Dusk and Dawn.
Handy hopefully-not-oversized map to follow. The circle in Vivec marks the spot of the Shrine to Stop the Moon, and other circle is the approximate location of the Shrine of Azura. The famous mudcrab merchant is on the way, but I forget exactly where that guy is. Besides, ten thousand is a heavy amount of gold to be carrying around.

When and if we meet Awesomicus again, we'll have to apologize and explain a few things, if he bothers to listen. If he does, we should probably explain that things are a bit confused on the quest because we're mostly familiar with this as a single-player game, and he should be able to do this alone, but there's at least four ponies that we know of currently playing this - possibly more - and some of the main quest points have been done by Awesomicus, Clover has done at least two we're aware of, SexyWhithers and Adorabella have done one that Awesomicus also did - that whole having a fortress built thing, Castle Awesome - and who knows what Imare's done. We'll need to talk to all the ponies playing just to find out who's done what and if this quest can be fixed.

We now know that the password which that interestingly-dressed boatman wants is "Party" so we can visit Imare who is almost definitely the pony known as Pinkie Pie. Do we dare visit her, considering the fourth-wall shenanigans that will no doubt ensue? She might try talking with us voices directly, not unlike what Sheogorath did, although possibly more well-intentioned. And what would we talk to her about anyway, even if she is at home?

If we should need to visit Divayth Fyr again - or pretty much any place on Vvardenfell or even the island of Solstheim - not readily accessible by silt strider, teleport service, or boat? Buy a couple cheap Rising Force (levitation) potions and at least one recall scroll, then stop by Vivec (the city) and pay a visit to the Shrine to Stop the Moon. Offer the potion at the shrine and ask for a blessing, and fly around for what should be 24 full minutes at a reasonably high speed. (At least, it was in vanilla. Not sure about this version.) Find the place from the air, and still likely float around while you're there. Beats the heck out of 15 seconds of water-walk here and there. (Awesomicus may still be interested in this.) I'll should note that despite it's fine speed (100 points of levitation), it's still not fast enough to completely escape cliff racers. Although if you're careful you should be able to see them far enough in advance to avoid them so long as you're not in fog or an ash storm. And if they spot you anyway, you can still lose them in trees or something. You are close enough to the ground for trees or giant mushrooms, right?

We know how to get to Pelagiad without too much difficulty, and we should probably look up Nelvyn Andrano at some point even though we no longer have the recommendation letter from Ranis. But that's something for after we've got the time and money to spare, and not only do we not have the gold, but we still haven't made up for that month lost in basic training when we joined the legion.

Finally, somewhere out there, some poor schlub of a dunmer is either looking for the tallest tree in Sheogorad, or trying to get as far away from Vvardenfell as possible. He may be carrying or have sold the stuff he took off our body while we were dead, including but not limited to an enchanted dagger, a Rainbow Dash shirt, and a dwemer puzzle cube with a note inside it for Divayth Fyr. It's worth it to note that there's very few trees in the Sheogorad region unless you count giant mushrooms.
======

So, is this worth attempting to continue, or should it be allowed to stay dead? I'm still interested here.
Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: March 28, 2015, 08:31:18 pm »

If LB is still interested, I'd be interested in continuing, I just hadn't been able to think of other short-term plans.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: March 28, 2015, 10:50:44 pm »

I'd be fine with continuing this. It was, and still remains, one of the more creative and better executed suggestion games I've seen.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: March 28, 2015, 11:00:52 pm »

LordBucket, I look forward to your eventual MST3000 version, should you see fit to release it.

I've moved to a different computer since I started this, but I made a point of redundantly backing up everything several times. The MST3K writeups, if I recall correctly, were finished up to episode 20 or so. They still exist.

If LB is still interested, I'd be interested in continuing, I just hadn't been able to think of other short-term plans.

I'm still here.I still check this thread. I'm still willing to continue. But like Sparksol (and others) have pointed out, suggestions last round were somewhat lacking. Participation dropped off a whole lot, and I'm not sure whether it was because DF_40 was released, or because people were annoyed by ponies.

If people want to continue,then post. The premise of this game is, was and has always been the same. That makes it easy for me to pick it back up and continue. But like I've commented a couple times, I kind of thought that somebody would "get it" and the whole thing would last maybe three months. I don't want to rush it. By its nature this is a story that has to play itself out. But I think it would be fair to say that the underlaying premise here is somewhat slightly more complicated than I think many players were expecting...and I do have some concern that if you guys don't, umm...pull it together a little better...it could potentially go on for years without being resolved.

This is a good game. This is a thing I'm moderately proud of, even. But is it a game you guys want to play? Or did I throw too much at you?

If you guys want to play, then let's play.

Do you want to play? If so, then...

What do you do?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: March 28, 2015, 11:05:51 pm »

I think it might be the fact that you thought everyone would be more clever than they are that made the game last so long. Generally speaking, when one creates a puzzle, one must also place a giant neon sign pointing at the answer before it becomes feasible. You gotta look at it objectively, and that is hard to do so when you know all the answers and can see the chains of logic unfettered.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: March 31, 2015, 12:21:49 pm »

Sure, I'll bite. I still think it's worth it to find and interrogate Pelagiad's dreamer if he's still around. His name is Dralas Gilu. He brushes you off during the day if I remember right, but he is active at night.  Here's his picture:

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: March 31, 2015, 12:24:05 pm »

Oh yes! We've been trying to interrogate a dreamer for quite some time.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: March 31, 2015, 09:43:00 pm »

Oh yes! We've been trying to interrogate a dreamer for quite some time.
+1

Though we should really still figure out what we're going to do in the long/medium/not immediate run. I'm pretty lost myself.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: March 31, 2015, 10:39:17 pm »

Well what do we mean by interrogate? Do we mean to simply ask him some questions, or the kind of interrogation were we take him to a safe place and beat the living daylights out of the guy in order to get answers? Michael has been known to misconstrue our intentions before, and clarification here might save us a boatload of trouble.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: March 31, 2015, 10:52:07 pm »

I assume we'll get a chance to specify, once we manage to find the guy. After all, we don't know what kind of questions we'll be able to ask, but chances are we could ask away since Dagoth Ur seems pretty interested in talking to Michael.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: March 31, 2015, 10:56:31 pm »

+1 to going to Pelagiad to question dreamer/sleeper and potentially shopping for emergency scrolls. Since we're sure the password the ferryman was "party", we should definitely investigate that place, if its nearby.

Right now, it seems like our best bet is to gather as many clues from as many sources as possible. The Sixth House, Azura and the other ponies[Especially Pinkie Pie] seem to be the best candidates. Azura in particular seems important and we should do the levitatey thing over to her shrine once we're done in this immediate area.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: April 01, 2015, 01:05:37 am »

Since we're sure the password the ferryman was "party", we should definitely investigate that place, if its nearby.

Yes, it's nearby. Back when you had a full suit of armor and a magic weapon to defend yourself with, it was the place you nevertheless died on the way back from in Episode 62.

Are you sure you want to go back there right now?

In other news, since we're ressurecting this, I have plans for tommorrow night, and will probably start working on the update Thursday night.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: April 01, 2015, 05:49:05 am »

Well what do we mean by interrogate? Do we mean to simply ask him some questions, or the kind of interrogation were we take him to a safe place and beat the living daylights out of the guy in order to get answers? Michael has been known to misconstrue our intentions before, and clarification here might save us a boatload of trouble.
I doubt Michael has the physical strength to think getting rough with him is a good idea, but it doesn't hurt to specify.

Especially since I'm not actually sure what the proper approach for this would be either. "Hello, do you have time to talk to me about your savior Lord Dagoth?"

Since we're sure the password the ferryman was "party", we should definitely investigate that place, if its nearby.

Yes, it's nearby. Back when you had a full suit of armor and a magic weapon to defend yourself with, it was the place you nevertheless died on the way back from in Episode 62.

Are you sure you want to go back there right now?
Much as I really want to go back for that, getting us killed in the exact same manner twice in a row should probably be avoided if at all possible.

Plus... Pinkie's helpfulness may be somewhat suspect. I have no doubt she's fairly perceptive and benign, but... well, there's a reason her friends chose to interpret her actions towards us as "Huh? Whatever, Pinkies gonna Pinkie."

Though this does bring us back to our eternal problem of being too weak to really go anywhere or do anything in general. Do we have a plan for getting out of Pelagiad, much less to wherever else we want to go?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: April 02, 2015, 05:35:00 am »

I'm all for talking to the sleeper, if he's in a willing mood to talk. And if he's still here; we haven't even checked yet. If the sleeper/dreamer is here, let's talk with him in a nonthreatening manner. If he's not here, or not willing to talk, let's sell that overpowered potion and get some that are more our range. Possibly a rising force potion or two. Maybe we can see if there's anything else worth getting, too.

After that, I've got one of two things in mind now. The first idea is that we head for Azura's Shrine by means of the Shrine to Stop the Moon and see if she'll talk to us there. The other idea also involves the Shrine to Stop the Moon, and heading directly for Dagoth Ur. If anyone else feels like going somewhere else on the way, that's fine, but I want to work on getting there. I'm tired of piddling about in confusion and getting nowhere the slow way.
Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 161