Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 502229 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #660 on: August 17, 2013, 05:42:40 pm »

I remember Civ4 being all about the AI not cheating anymore. Somebody on Civfanatics caught them irrigating a vast, dry plain one time and there was a big uproar.
Yeah right they don't cheat. My level 4 samurai (which is the level they are created at for me, because I abuse XP bonuses) fighting a level 1 archer. A freaking archer, in wide open plains, not defended or anything, and he kills my guys without taking any damage. And don't say that the dice simply decided to not like me, (literally, because it gives you a percent chance of winning, and it showed ">99%") because that one, solitary archer, wiped out four-flipping-teen of those guys. No damage.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 18, 2013, 07:11:18 am »

Controllers with turbo buttons

Bizarrely, they only exist for consoles that came out before quicktime events were a major thing. ???
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 18, 2013, 11:50:11 am »

Do they not make turbo controllers for modern consoles?  Admittedly I haven't checked since I thought turbo was just a neat feature for abusing SNES era games, but it does seem natural for quicktime events.  Now I'm curious how many games have built in cheat detection for that... I know Revolver Ocelot would call you on it in Metal Gear Solid.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 18, 2013, 12:00:03 pm »

I got a N64 from my unlce about last month and one of the controllers has 'Mad Catz' on it.
It's got a couple turbo buttons, and I think an accelerator.
Mad Catz must have been a racing game.
Black lives matter.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 18, 2013, 12:01:27 pm »

I got a N64 from my unlce about last month and one of the controllers has 'Mad Catz' on it.

Mad Catz is the brand. It's also one of the crappiest controllers I've ever used.

Source: the Mad Catz controller with lots of nifty buttons sitting next to me.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 18, 2013, 12:02:47 pm »

It's just got Slow, Reset and Turbo buttons on it.
I wonder what they're for..
Black lives matter.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 18, 2013, 12:29:51 pm »

Controllers with turbo buttons

Bizarrely, they only exist for consoles that came out before quicktime events were a major thing. ???
I have a 360 controller with the ability to turbo buttons, I can confirm this is not the case.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 18, 2013, 12:32:17 pm »

Mad Catz is the brand. It's also one of the crappiest controllers I've ever used.

Mine just has a macro button, I've never figured out how to use it to do more than one button at a time. Not really interested either, since the 1st-party controller I got a week or so ago is infinitely better in every way.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 18, 2013, 11:51:33 pm »

Mine just has a macro button, I've never figured out how to use it to do more than one button at a time. Not really interested either, since the 1st-party controller I got a week or so ago is infinitely better in every way.
My frelling once-friend (this isn't the reason we aren't friends anymore, that's unrelated) had a controller with a macro button, and used it in Soul Caliber 2 to spam all the super-complex over-kill combo moves that were made overly complex for exactly that reason.
The Jerk.
The Derail Thread

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 19, 2013, 01:15:33 am »

Good old Civ4, where the AI will *always* keep up to your tech level, even when you are cheating.
don't think this is true at all, out-teching the ai is absurdly easy with the bonuses you get on lower difficulty levels

Yeah, that's not true at all. Noble setting in Civ 4 is close to even in terms of inherent math adjustments – the AIs get some bonuses – and you can easily out-tech the AIs by an era or so once you get going there.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 19, 2013, 01:21:40 am »

My frelling once-friend (this isn't the reason we aren't friends anymore, that's unrelated) had a controller with a macro button, and used it in Soul Caliber 2 to spam all the super-complex over-kill combo moves that were made overly complex for exactly that reason.
The Jerk.

Heh, I've got a arcade stick with turbo button settings on it. Let's me spam punch and kick buttons just by holding them down. Problem is the A.I is smart enough to counter that, usually with a flying boot to the head. :P
(Damn, do Street Fighter combo's have to be precise, argh.)

I like Civilisation V more then Civilisation IV because of the change to the combat system. With the direct damage method instead of the percentage based roll I feel combat success is more in my hands.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 19, 2013, 01:34:43 am »

I like Civilisation V more then Civilisation IV because of the change to the combat system. With the direct damage method instead of the percentage based roll I feel combat success is more in my hands.
Heh, I just play Warlock: Master of the Arcane. I really like that one.
The Derail Thread

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 19, 2013, 02:40:36 am »

Civ v is the only one where I managed to start as aggressive expandionistic civ and actually manage successful invasion with warriors and archers instead of waiting at least iron working and related unit - as far a combat goes I'd say no complaint there.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 19, 2013, 03:19:16 am »

Civ v is the only one where I managed to start as aggressive expandionistic civ and actually manage successful invasion with warriors and archers instead of waiting at least iron working and related unit - as far a combat goes I'd say no complaint there.

Combat in Civ IV is physically painful for me. Although the C2C mod somewhat remedies that with the possibility to limit units per tile to any number you want, I set it to... 6, I think, and it felt much better.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 21, 2013, 10:01:20 am »

I'm playing Starcraft for the first time in years and years and I'm starting to remember why I didn't like it as much as Warcraft III; it takes forever and ever to get a base going. Maybe there's a speed setting that I'm missing somewhere, but you start with enough minerals to build maybe two SCVs and then it's time to sit back for a while until you have enough minerals to build a tiny handful of Marines, when quite a few missions end up requiring 20+ (not counting support and units left behind for defense).
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 324