Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500402 times)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #1440 on: August 09, 2013, 12:40:17 am »

Non-windows OS exists
doesn't 7-zip work on mac ect, never mind i t does not
any way for mac there is always this
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:46:25 am by sackhead »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 09, 2013, 02:33:38 am »

There are other operating systems. And anyway... last time I checked, although it was some time ago, Windows has built-in zip functionality (send to archive) so why would you even need a separate program here?

As for using rars, you are not compressing gigantic files where saving every byte is advantageous. And if you were, and wanted to save space, then you would go for 7-zip which is the superior compression and also more freely available. You don't need to save advanced NTFS options (which would be pointless since we don't all have NTFS and why would you even need them here). You don't need to encrypt, and if you did you would instead use 7-zip. So using .rar and obliging others to download extra bloatware programs to use it with you is like attempting to organize the mass games of futility. :P

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 09, 2013, 02:57:03 am »

Here's a thought: boil the giant insect ichor plus powdered hoof or horn into "ingots" that can then be shaped like metal.  So long as the "bug juice" retained its originator's designation, various metal-goods would be able to made from collecting the pollutants from a slain giant bug.  (It would make sense for halflings to live in Giant Bug infested swamps, then, as they're there to farm "bug juice ingots".
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 09, 2013, 03:03:49 am »

Or just use chitin, shaped with processes similar to steam-molding wood.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 09, 2013, 04:01:33 am »

Done and StL already did it several versions ago. Chitin can be processed to be workable as metal. :D

Code: [Select]
reaction_STL

[OBJECT:REACTION]

[REACTION:PREPARE_CHITIN_STL]
[NAME:prepare chitin]
[BUILDING:TANNER:CUSTOM_T]
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][UNROTTEN][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:CHITIN_METAL_STL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:CHITIN_METAL_STL]
[SKILL:TANNER]

Apparently a somewhat little used feature. Available to formics.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: August 09, 2013, 04:03:30 am »

But seriously, though, if we don't have anything like steel, I'm just adding steel. It's so much more satisfying to say "draw steel, villain!" than "draw iridium, villain!" Also, need it for certain creatures.

Being an AP chemistry student, it's really odd to see Iridum used as the 2x better than iron metal when IRL it's a heavy, squishy gold-family metal.

Also, I think we ought to have gold and silver, just so we can make vanity things out of them to boast about in other threads.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 04:07:54 am by HugoLuman »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: August 09, 2013, 04:14:30 am »

Please do add steel. I mean... we can't really avoid having steel, it's such a staple. If we call it leets and it's completely obvious it's steel, it still won't feel the same.

Mm... meteoric iron, the iron that there currently is, if it weren't insanely precious in real life, could actually probably be worked into modern contemporary steel with superior tensile strength, since it is already alloyed with nickel, by just adding carbon (vanilla uses flux stones for this, but it might as well be charcoal for a very different experience) - that is, the vanilla steelmaking way.

Gold, silver, diamonds, rubies... anyone here who thinks we really SHOULD NOT have these ever? To make 'em different, give the materials different properties, uses, make gems more valuable so they're desirable and not clutter. Seems like an effort? No - just don't look at the vanilla version while making it and it'll become a new thing naturally. :P Can give different names like "brilliant diamond" or "pure gold" for extra coolness (so you would have such as a "pure gold goblet"). But those are such fantasy staples that basically you would need them.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 09, 2013, 04:26:58 am »

Using Wikipedia and a unit converter, I see Toady took the properties of steel and just rounded them a bit. I will round to fewer places, giving the metal a slightly different feel. Ever so subtle difference.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: August 09, 2013, 04:32:21 am »

Just the metal for now, so I can make my creature. Reactions can come later.

Code: [Select]
inorganic_metal_HugoL

[OBJECT:INORGANIC]

[INORGANIC:STEEL_HUGOL]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE_HLG]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:steel]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten steel]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling steel]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1]
[BUILD_COLOR:0:7:1]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:30]
[SPEC_HEAT:496]
[MELTING_POINT:12718]
[BOILING_POINT:14968]
[SOLID_DENSITY:7850]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:6980]
[MOLAR_MASS:55845]
[IMPACT_YIELD:1505000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:2520000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:940]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:1505000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:2520500]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:940] 160
[TENSILE_YIELD:434400]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:724080]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:225]
[TORSION_YIELD:430000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:720000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:215]
[SHEAR_YIELD:430000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:720000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:215]
[BENDING_YIELD:431000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:720000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:215]
[MAX_EDGE:10500]
[ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED][ITEMS_AMMO][ITEMS_DIGGER][ITEMS_ARMOR][ITEMS_ANVIL]
[ITEMS_HARD][ITEMS_METAL][ITEMS_BARRED][ITEMS_SCALED]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:SILVER]

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: August 09, 2013, 04:37:29 am »

Okay.

Well - http://www.efunda.com/materials/alloys/alloy_home/steels_properties.cfm

If it's made from a source of pure iron (nonexistent at this time) then it should correspond to "carbon steel", while if it's made from meteoric iron then it would actually represent "alloy steel" or "tool steel" and so could be slightly harder and more durable... honestly I don't know enough about metallurgy to know for sure though, modern steels have chromium and other things too and not just nickel. But any excuse to make interesting differences, it's not like we're completely realistic.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: August 09, 2013, 04:44:35 am »

There are other operating systems. And anyway... last time I checked, although it was some time ago, Windows has built-in zip functionality (send to archive) so why would you even need a separate program here?

As for using rars, you are not compressing gigantic files where saving every byte is advantageous. And if you were, and wanted to save space, then you would go for 7-zip which is the superior compression and also more freely available. You don't need to save advanced NTFS options (which would be pointless since we don't all have NTFS and why would you even need them here). You don't need to encrypt, and if you did you would instead use 7-zip. So using .rar and obliging others to download extra bloatware programs to use it with you is like attempting to organize the mass games of futility. :P
I am uploading .zip from now on so everyone can access them. (including the file i just uploaded),
i just use rar because it is my default setting and i just need to right click to compress (I always compress files no matter how small as in my opinion it makes them easier to manage) also i a do acknowledge their are other operating systems out their but they make up less than 10% of the market, so if you use one you have to be prepared to make sacrifices
But seriously, though, if we don't have anything like steel, I'm just adding steel. It's so much more satisfying to say "draw steel, villain!" than "draw iridium, villain!" Also, need it for certain creatures.

Being an AP chemistry student, it's really odd to see Iridum used as the 2x better than iron metal when IRL it's a heavy, squishy gold-family metal.

Also, I think we ought to have gold and silver, just so we can make vanity things out of them to boast about in other threads.
i Agree with you here their is no point in making fantasy alternatives to real metals when they have the same stats.
Also we al know roughly how strong steel is but most people would have no idea about some of the added metals they could be as strong as adamantine or as weak as wood. We could use adding them as a chance to rebalance them compared to normal DF ass well.
If you are going to make a fantasy metal with unique characteristics go for it but do we rarely need a metal that is exactly like copper but called Xexceanium which by the way the Forums spell check reads as "Germanium".
of course this is just my opinion and your welcome to disagree.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: August 09, 2013, 04:50:29 am »

Okay.

If it's made from a source of pure iron (nonexistent at this time) then it should correspond to "carbon steel", while if it's made from meteoric iron then it would actually represent "alloy steel" or "tool steel" and so could be slightly harder and more durable... honestly I don't know enough about metallurgy to know for sure though, modern steels have chromium and other things too and not just nickel. But any excuse to make interesting differences, it's not like we're completely realistic.

sorry for the double post but we could treat the new steel as if substance such as carbon and metals were added as it was worked and just give it all round good stats (i am not sure which stats are used for what in game so i cant be more specific)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: August 09, 2013, 04:52:11 am »

We can just use the steel as a standard to measure other metals by. It's good for the design process to have such a metric.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: August 09, 2013, 05:01:17 am »

Okay.

sorry for the double post but we could treat the new steel as if substance such as carbon and metals were added as it was worked and just give it all round good stats (i am not sure which stats are used for what in game so i cant be more specific)

Probably nobody has a problem with doubleposting when you actually have two different things to respond to. Actually, advanced steelmaking where you would have one generic "steel" and then could make different varieties of steel by adding in different metals into the alloy (+chromium -> stainless steel, +nickel -> maraging steel, +chromium and nickel -> surgical steel, but probably called something different) would be extremely sweet. But it would be some work to make.

Having a metric for materials is good, yes. I suppose meteoric iron can't really be used as such because nobody is that familiar with it.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 261