Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 198

Author Topic: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Oh well.]  (Read 378218 times)

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
Re: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Killllllllll FRENZY!]
« Reply #1800 on: September 16, 2013, 12:21:29 pm »

Yeah, and make them nullify magic, actively, but within a very short range. This way nonmagic speed- and dex- based builds have a place, being able to use the flags for defense, and you can't just brute-magical-force your way into the opposing fort and get away with the flag, as your magic will be useless while you're carrying it.
Dexterity is one of the best attributes in the game... Enough of it and no one will be able to touch you. Only blackholes can really harm you then, and those can be avoided if you combine it with will and blackhole control. If a player achieves high enough will and dexterity no force in the game will be able to stop him.

If you only follow Pit of Magic will may seem a useless stats... Tell that to the Sky Pirates of Perplexicon, both of which died when Toaster controlled their minds. Im not sure but i think he made one of them fire a cluster blackhole at the other to then suicide with a dagger.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:23:06 pm by Sarzael »
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: September 16, 2013, 12:22:53 pm »

Actually, in the CFT, there should be fixed stats. The only incentive to kill other people should be to slow them.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1802 on: September 16, 2013, 12:26:03 pm »

Actually, in the CFT, there should be fixed stats. The only incentive to kill other people should be to slow them.
Still, there are words that increase dexterity and will, and you can then use your own will to further increase your speed.
Have 3 Dexterity, 3 Will and 3 Channeling and if you have time and know the words no one will be able to stop you.

Whole body Agile Will+, and then make a Control what im thinking of Ring, and use that ring to make your bones flexible or something so that its easier to avoid. Speed also works. Dexterity/Speed+Will makes the best combos in game, since if your dext+will you can avoid what they throw at you while closing potentially dangers (Like blackholes) and with speed+will you can explode their brains before they can move a finger.

3 Dext+3 Will=+1 to each. With words, +2. With will, +3 to dext and +2 to will. You re now one of the most dangerous players ingame.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1803 on: September 16, 2013, 12:28:30 pm »

You should consider adopting my system for the CTF Variant. Allow people to have up to +3 or -3 in stats to start with, with an equal number of each, but no points for killing people.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: September 16, 2013, 12:49:05 pm »

Dammit derm, when you leave a game don't leave your overshooting spirit!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: September 16, 2013, 12:51:59 pm »

Still, there are words that increase dexterity and will, and you can then use your own will to further increase your speed.
Have 3 Dexterity, 3 Will and 3 Channeling and if you have time and know the words no one will be able to stop you.

Whole body Agile Will+, and then make a Control what im thinking of Ring, and use that ring to make your bones flexible or something so that its easier to avoid. Speed also works. Dexterity/Speed+Will makes the best combos in game, since if your dext+will you can avoid what they throw at you while closing potentially dangers (Like blackholes) and with speed+will you can explode their brains before they can move a finger.

3 Dext+3 Will=+1 to each. With words, +2. With will, +3 to dext and +2 to will. You re now one of the most dangerous players ingame.
Or, you know, just remove those words that affect stats, because it would be just not fair. Imagine that a team gets words for dexterity and speed, while the other gets words for will and strenght. It would be pretty unbalanced.

You should consider adopting my system for the CTF Variant. Allow people to have up to +3 or -3 in stats to start with, with an equal number of each, but no points for killing people.
I support this.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1806 on: September 16, 2013, 01:00:12 pm »

Will is the most powerful stat if you use it correctly... It wouldnt be a good idea to give people a chance to have a +5 to it. -3 Strenght, Increase Will. -3 Endurance, Increase speed. Words+Will would allow you to have a +5 to will and a +5 to speed... Rolls 11 to will, the whole other team explodes.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: September 16, 2013, 01:03:41 pm »

Will is the most powerful stat if you use it correctly... It wouldnt be a good idea to give people a chance to have a +5 to it. -3 Strenght, Increase Will. -3 Endurance, Increase speed. Words+Will would allow you to have a +5 to will and a +5 to speed... Rolls 11 to will, the whole other team explodes.
Well, let's change that to one team with dexterity and will, while the other has speed and strenght. Would this be way more unfair?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1808 on: September 16, 2013, 01:12:52 pm »

You are assuming that you know several rare, hard to learn words. If you know how to increase a stat, it's possible to give yourself like +6, between marks, equipment, and inherent bonuses. So that +3 to start with doesn't change much.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #1809 on: September 16, 2013, 01:25:15 pm »

Well, let's change that to one team with dexterity and will, while the other has speed and strenght. Would this be way more unfair?
Yes. A person with pure strenght cant do a thing agaisnt someone with high will, not even being faster. Let me put it like that: A Person with 7 Will can control three creatures at a time, and 3 Channeling gives him the ability to do an item if he knows the word, which allows him to control everything. Even if that person is slow, you can control literally anything you can imagine, including minds. And for the ´´What im thinking of`` word there is not a limit range, a willmancer could be making heads explode from his base while protected by three powerful summons, no matter how far they are.
Still, you can have an Strong Metal Lion, Speedy Electric Hawk and Winged Diamond Sword to protect you, and not only that, will allows you to increase some of their stats without using words, so you can make a metal lion with +2 rolls to strenght, or a metal lion with +1 strenght and +1 speed...
Those three creatures theirselves wouldnt be so dangerous if they werent a mere distraction. A turn and some luck is all what needs a person with will to make your blood as heavy as quicksilver.
And Will can also heal and do many other things the other stats lack.

Angle: They arent that hard to learn nor rare. If you already have knowledge of what to expect you can learn to use it quite fast. And rare... You only have to test each page once to get a general idea of where it may be. With a team of people that wont take long.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: September 16, 2013, 01:29:37 pm »

Yes. A person with pure strenght cant do a thing agaisnt someone with high will, not even being faster. Let me put it like that: A Person with 7 Will can control three creatures at a time, and 3 Channeling gives him the ability to do an item if he knows the word, which allows him to control everything. Even if that person is slow, you can control literally anything you can imagine, including minds. And for the ´´What im thinking of`` word there is not a limit range, a willmancer could be making heads explode from his base while protected by three powerful summons, no matter how far they are.
Still, you can have an Strong Metal Lion, Speedy Electric Hawk and Winged Diamond Sword to protect you, and not only that, will allows you to increase some of their stats without using words, so you can make a metal lion with +2 rolls to strenght, or a metal lion with +1 strenght and +1 speed...
Those three creatures theirselves wouldnt be so dangerous if they werent a mere distraction. A turn and some luck is all what needs a person with will to make your blood as heavy as quicksilver.
And Will can also heal and do many other things the other stats lack.

Angle: They arent that hard to learn nor rare. If you already have knowledge of what to expect you can learn to use it quite fast. And rare... You only have to test each page once to get a general idea of where it may be. With a team of people that wont take long.
So, having words that increase stats would be unfair, as the words would have to be randomly divided between the groups, which could end up in a situation like what you have just described.

I'm just trying to help Toaster to balance the thing.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: September 16, 2013, 02:01:24 pm »

Well, that got some excitement generated!  Maybe that'll be next round.

The words would be mostly NOT randomly split- I would break them apart for balance.  Things like control and stat boosts would be in the "both teams get these" section... though giving one team dex and the other speed is an interesting idea.  Control-based actions would be ineffective for moving the flag, though something like a gust of wind might work as well.  Teleporting and destroying them (even via rifts and black holes) would be out.

The word list would be cut down (and rearranged) as well.  Some of the less useful ones that I added to this game to screw with you would be gone, but I also can't promise that useful words you expect to exist will be there.  [This also applies to the current game- not everything that was in Perplexicon is in here.]

I like the idea of using stats more like Angle's game.  That way grinding out kills wouldn't really do anything for you, other than sending that player away for a couple turns.

Keep in mind that outside the initial startup phase, turns spent SCIENCEing are turns you're not progressing toward your goal.

If you only follow Pit of Magic will may seem a useless stats... Tell that to the Sky Pirates of Perplexicon, both of which died when Toaster controlled their minds. Im not sure but i think he made one of them fire a cluster blackhole at the other to then suicide with a dagger.

I can tell you the control word does exist in the current game, in mostly the same form it did for the original.  It'll be found eventually.

(Also the cluster black hole ex/implosion was big enough to kill both of them and destroy the entire ship- I targeted the one of them that had the lower will stat.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: September 16, 2013, 02:11:16 pm »

Will we be able to change our stats before re-spawning? That would allow for flexibility.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: September 16, 2013, 02:16:01 pm »

Hm.  I'd almost rather force you to make a choice and stick with it.  If I did allow respecs, they would be limited in some way.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: September 16, 2013, 02:19:00 pm »

I see. Maybe some base stats and flexible ones? Mostly so that we don't get someone with a +3 to speed that can outrun everybody and capture the flag again and again without even geting hit, and without giving the other team a way to counteract this.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 198