Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 198

Author Topic: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Oh well.]  (Read 376831 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Pit of Magic: A Perplexicon Game. [Killllllllll FRENZY!]
« Reply #1935 on: September 19, 2013, 05:47:38 am »

((Air's not that much less dense than random objects...and with the quantities that it would be rushing in from, from every square inch of surface area, that is a significant quantity of air. Much more in a single turn than all the solid objects he could be expected to absorb.))
((But air is also nearly weightless and therefore goes exactly where the attractive forces take it whereas a rock has much greater weight and will fly off course at the slightest provocation, the heavier the object is the greater the effects of its own inertia will be on its trajectory.
Thus heavy objects strike wall and air does not.))
((...Wait, what?))

Welp i found the pattern.
((What pattern?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: September 19, 2013, 06:14:12 am »

((But air is also nearly weightless and therefore goes exactly where the attractive forces take it whereas a rock has much greater weight and will fly off course at the slightest provocation, the heavier the object is the greater the effects of its own inertia will be on its trajectory.

Thus heavy objects strike wall and air does not.))

((A rock will not fly off course at the slightest provocation, as it is heavy and difficult to accelerate in any direction. And air does strike walls - it's called wind.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: September 19, 2013, 06:16:49 am »

((I would have said something like that, but I'm almost certain that he isn't saying what it sounds like he's saying.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: September 19, 2013, 06:31:57 am »

((I would have said something like that, but I'm almost certain that he isn't saying what it sounds like he's saying.))
((Im saying that the heavier an object is the harder it is to alter its trajectory.

Thus a large rock or steel sword entering on an angle will fly into the event horizon and slowly turn into the main stream of force (thus impacting the wall if it doesnt turn fast enough) whereas air will instantly match trajectories with the main stream of force due to its distinct lack of weight.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: September 19, 2013, 06:49:49 am »

((Assuming that the attractive force's acceleration is insufficient to overcome that, yes.

But your point actually proves mine in a way: Air is always being drawn into the hole--why doesn't that destabilize Myxidia men?))
Sig

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: September 19, 2013, 06:53:46 am »

((Assuming that the attractive force's acceleration is insufficient to overcome that, yes.

But your point actually proves mine in a way: Air is always being drawn into the hole--why doesn't that destabilize Myxidia men?))

((Because this is a magical setting and air doesn't actually exist. There's wind, sure (it's even an element), but no air. What makes things combust is actually phlogiston.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: September 19, 2013, 06:57:57 am »

((Because it doesnt impact the walls of the tunnel due to the fact its too light for its inertia to carry it off course.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: September 19, 2013, 07:08:09 am »

((Because it doesnt impact the walls of the tunnel due to the fact its too light for its inertia to carry it off course.))
((Air impacts the walls of tunnels no matter what speed it is travelling at.))
Sig

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: September 19, 2013, 07:21:57 am »

((Maybe I shouldn't have spoilered my warnings to Thearpox; this is getting tedious in addition to being very silly.))
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: September 19, 2013, 07:24:04 am »

((Because I realized my last post was a bit vague, and because I expect someone else to post before I finish, here is a more in-depth explanation:))

((Maybe I shouldn't have spoilered my warnings to Thearpox; this is getting tedious in addition to being very silly.))
((Hey, I was right: I'd get ninja'd!))
((Anyways. I'm sorry about being tedious. Maybe my fun thought experiment will liven things up?))
Sig

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: September 19, 2013, 07:31:54 am »

Stupid phone, lemme fix this
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:33:29 am by Unholy_Pariah »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: September 19, 2013, 07:33:35 am »

((I'm confused. Where does the stream of force come in?))
Sig

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: September 19, 2013, 07:42:07 am »

((it doesn't, that was a crummy reply that shouldn't have even been posted.
My phone didn't copy my updated reply after losing internet connectivity and posted the initial "how can i disprove this without thinking" thing that i always write but don't post in order to give myself inspiration via methods of "that's retarded, this is how it actually works."

anyways, my real argument was that air doesn't impact the sides as such, it kinda flows along the sides laterally and doesn't really do anything whereas a sword or stone would strike the wall on a more direct angle causing the wall to rupture outwards.

its like the difference skimming a rock along a sheet of ice and throwing it directly at its surface, skimming the ice may cause some slight cracks to form whereas throwing it straight down will create a hole.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: September 19, 2013, 07:45:07 am »

((it doesn't, that was a crummy reply that shouldn't have even been posted.
My phone didn't copy my updated reply after losing internet connectivity and posted the initial "how can i disprove this without thinking" thing that i always write but don't post in order to give myself inspiration via methods of "that's retarded, this is how it actually works."
((Ah. That makes sense. Might I suggest typing the "How can I disprove this without thinking?" thing somewhere you won't accidentally post it? Google Docs, perhaps?))

anyways, my real argument was that air doesn't impact the sides as such, it kinda flows along the sides laterally and doesn't really do anything whereas a sword or stone would strike the wall on a more direct angle causing the wall to rupture outwards.

its like the difference skimming a rock along a sheet of ice and throwing it directly at its surface, skimming the ice may cause some slight cracks to form whereas throwing it straight down will create a hole.))
((Why wouldn't the air impact the sides of the wormhole?))
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: September 19, 2013, 07:47:28 am »

The only reason it works is because a little demon makes it work.

Welp i found the pattern.

O RLY?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 198