Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256131 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2400 on: July 25, 2014, 08:13:32 pm »

((Excellent. I could buy 135 donuts with that much money.))
That's as many as thirteen and a half tens!
((And that's terrible.))

"I've never really heard of your work, but I don't exactly keep up with the news, either. Do you have a blog, maybe?"

"But anyway, you said you found out something about these... leylines, as you called them. Can you elaborate on any of that?"

"Well, I've got some samples in my portfolio, but I didn't have any sort of blog. Never considered it, to tell you the truth. Although, now that you mentioned it, that does sound like a good idea. Documenting my investigations, putting them online...

Speaking of which, there's that supposed leyline. The one who told me about them said that they are some sort of magical energy centre. Now, normally, I would dismiss that as plain crazy. I mean, which sane, logical individual would believe in magic? But given all the things that have been happening lately... well, one could call them magical, no? Maybe not 'real' magic but some sort of phenomena that definitely lacks any obvious explanation. So if those leylines are supposed to be sources of magical energy, then that is surely something worth investigating. Perhaps it could lead to the cause of all these incidents, the true cause. Perhaps it could help us understand them.

But I couldn't make such a bold statement based on the word of one individual. I hardly believed it myself. So I decided some investigation was in order."

Eta paused to see if Rieux had any questions.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: July 26, 2014, 06:07:23 am »

"Well, I've got some samples in my portfolio, but I didn't have any sort of blog. Never considered it, to tell you the truth. Although, now that you mentioned it, that does sound like a good idea. Documenting my investigations, putting them online...

Speaking of which, there's that supposed leyline. The one who told me about them said that they are some sort of magical energy centre. Now, normally, I would dismiss that as plain crazy. I mean, which sane, logical individual would believe in magic? But given all the things that have been happening lately... well, one could call them magical, no? Maybe not 'real' magic but some sort of phenomena that definitely lacks any obvious explanation. So if those leylines are supposed to be sources of magical energy, then that is surely something worth investigating. Perhaps it could lead to the cause of all these incidents, the true cause. Perhaps it could help us understand them.

But I couldn't make such a bold statement based on the word of one individual. I hardly believed it myself. So I decided some investigation was in order."

Eta paused to see if Rieux had any questions.

"Who was your informant?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: July 26, 2014, 04:56:53 pm »

Dave has but one recourse left.

"You asked for it, bro," he says, and attempts to engulf the underwear master in enchanted angel ghosts.

[Dave's affinity roll: 4-1]

A single ghost of a glistening angel appears next to the underwear master and begins to orbit it, seemingly trying to give it a hug.

[Underwear Master's body roll: 5+1]

The creature stares at it for a moment, then goes on to resume what it was doing.

"You may find that you asked for this as well, good fellow," it says, beginning to tighten its grip around Dave's neck. Just then, though, a rampaging mold horse decides to intervene.

[Finesse: Rampaging Mold Horse vs. Underwear Master: 4+1 vs. 6+1-1]

"Oh dear, look who's coming," the underwear master says. "Best to wrap this up now, yes?"

[Underwear Master vs. Dave: 1+1 vs. 6-1-1]

However, Dave expertly uses the distraction of the mold horse to slip out, his mixture of clown, pig and human instincts pulling him through the situation in spite of his poor physical shape!

[Rampaging Mold Horse vs. Underwear Master: 4+1+1 vs. 1+1]

The rampaging mold horse, exploiting the sudden confusion of the underwear master at how it could possibly not have noticed somebody as floppy and waffle-like as Dave slip out of his grip, skewers the commander on several spikes of solid mold, which seem to hit whatever strange vitals the creature has, immediately terminating its living functions - the underwear composing it suddenly falls apart, disintegrating into a rough pile as the body topples to the ground.

The mold horse, for its part, just continues on its way after fetching a trophy from its kill, completely ignoring Dave.

Larry, quite susceptible to peer pressure, decides to take the Seraph Challenge. It is a shame that there is no one around to film his moxie.

"Uhh.. okay, sure."

He takes the magazine, until now known only by the disturbing nature of its content and by the lethality of its centerfold, stapled shut even in this copy. Larry, in a show of bravery, rips the centerfold open and looks within at the revealed form of the seraph.

For a moment he stares at the mysteries before his eyes and the sheer power contained within them - the power of the source. But Larry has some of that in himself, and so is unruffled. The mysteries do not attract him, and he does not bother to comprehend them. It's very much like looking at a Max Ernst painting, Larry finds, if Ernst could paint convincingly and disturbingly in seven dimensions. In short, it's kind of funny-looking, though Larry's mind remains steadfastly blank as he regards it. He stares at it for about a minute total, then nonchalantly looks back at his new friends.

"Lookth like you're angelic enough to path."

"So the mysteries of the quasi-divine are officially old hat to you," Arielle laughs, and Beagle buzzes along with her, imitating laughter in his own way. The Oldthinker, though, remains serious, and glances at the kitchen, from which Phinny emerges with a sizable cooking pot, balancing a set of rags on her head. She looks a little dizzy.

"A bit strong this time," she says a tad shakily, handing a single rag to everyone present, noticing that there's three left over. She laughs a little.

"Nonthenthe," the Oldthinker says, soaking a rag in the liquid in the pot, then putting it up to his own face. His eyes start to roll into the back of his head as he starts taking powerful whiffs, and he manages to breathe in a whole fifteen times before putting the rag down. The pupils of his eyes seem to have disappeared. "Eh, I've made thtronger."

Arielle tries to whiff it as well, but only manages three inhalations before beginning to cough. Larry isn't sure what she's inhaling or coughing with, or whether that's an appropriate question to even ask. "Well, you've certainly never shared the stronger ones with us, then," she observes, wiping her face intently. Beagle, meanwhile, just retreats from the pot.

John, saying fie to all the consequences, continues the search!

"Come, James. No matter how much we wish this wasn't happening, we must dig deeper!"

James steps closer, probably not having a clue what's even going on. The poor fool.

"Uh... what?"

But John only keeps searching, and when the rest of the chief of staff's office contains only empty picture frames and blank books, decides that this room is sufficiently explored, and heads out to the next one - the lawyer's office!

However, when he goes inside, he finds no office! Instead, there is merely a damp, impenetrably dark hole in the ground where an office should be - it has subsumed the desk, the shelves, everything - the room is featureless aside from its presence. It looks strangely welcoming, John observes, almost as if something soft were in its deepest reaches.

After working out a two-dollar-sample deal with the bartender, THE DUNKER forks over some of his hard-stolen cash to pay for a donut, which he immediately eats.

[THE DUNKER's mind roll: 6-->2+1]

He finds himself in a vast ocean of hot, molten lard - he floats like a ship on its surface, not minding the heat at all, sailing forth in search of brand new lands to explore. Never once does he question his course, for on his back he carries a vast number of enterprising little gnomes that seek to find a way to circumnavigate this strange world they live in via the molten streams of the equator. Although, he has to admit, he does have an ulterior motive that the gnomes do not know of - when he finds the New World, which he knows he will if he follows this stream, he shall eat it, for that is his way - the gnomes merely serve to deflect suspicion from his movements. This is a sensible plan.

Thus, as soon as he lets the gnomes accidentally stumble onto the New World in their exploration, he enjoys the look on their faces for but a moment before eating the continent they just found, and then eating the gnomes themselves before descending back into the lardy depths from which he spawned to birth a new generation of his vile offspring, who will then travel the universe in search of other landmasses and souls to eat. They are four in number, and as they grow, he is proud of all four, but only one manages to distinguish herself, and so he keeps her while eating the rest, feeling a white light fill him as he does so.

His regularly scheduled reality returns to him abruptly, the sight of the bartender and the donut box all but banishing the dreamlike images of before.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: July 26, 2014, 05:09:55 pm »

Pillar of inexplicable rouge bats!

After emerging from his donut trance, the DUNKER grins.

Wow, that was a good one! How much for the box?

((That was actually a pretty awesome thing.))

Spoiler: The Original DUNKERoo (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:17:15 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: July 26, 2014, 05:16:33 pm »

"Hmmm, this is irregular. I think." John grabs the magazine "Tell me, great magazine, anything you could tell me about this hole?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: July 26, 2014, 05:35:53 pm »

Larry rubs his eyes.  "Yeah... managed to just not uh... see it, I guess?  What's that stuff?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: July 26, 2014, 08:39:13 pm »

"So uh... Shadows? Wanna chat?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: July 27, 2014, 04:28:39 am »

Wow, that was a good one! How much for the box?

"There's eleven donuts left, so I suppose... twenty two dollars, maybe? No, wait, make that twenty."

"Hmmm, this is irregular. I think." John grabs the magazine "Tell me, great magazine, anything you could tell me about this hole?"

~Looks pretty dangerous, but I doubt it is. Might be leading you somewhere. I think you're not in the regular universe anymore, in case what you've seen so far wasn't a hint, so irregularity is to be expected.~

Larry rubs his eyes.  "Yeah... managed to just not uh... see it, I guess?  What's that stuff?"

"I call it the water."

"He's tried to explain the ingredients to me, but that just confuses me more usually."

"He makes the mixture, and then he cooks it, and then we sniff it, and then the magic starts to happen."

"So uh... Shadows? Wanna chat?"

Nobody seems to want to chat with you.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:07:49 am by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: July 27, 2014, 09:30:25 am »

I'll take it!

Buy donut box! Store it somewhere on my person that isn't my stomach.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: July 27, 2014, 09:38:00 am »

Goddamit, I was wondering how a inexplicable pillar of rouge bats could appear and then my brain operating of its own pseudo-logic, decided that it would appear inexplicably while trying to figure out how they would appear inexplicably.
My brain hurts so much right now.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: July 27, 2014, 10:33:49 am »

"Right, so it's a portal. Well James, this isn't even that weird for me anymore. Come on, James, who dares wins and all that junk."

Grab james and jump into the portal together, possibly die a horrbile death

Spoiler: john (click to show/hide)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: July 27, 2014, 11:44:12 am »

"Well can someone at least point me in the direction of those guys from earlier? Cause they seem far more likely to listen to me."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: July 27, 2014, 01:09:06 pm »

"Uh... groovy."

Take a hit myself; what the hell, right?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: July 27, 2014, 01:12:07 pm »

"Well can someone at least point me in the direction of those guys from earlier? Cause they seem far more likely to listen to me."

~I can point you in any direction you need! Who are you looking for?~

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: July 27, 2014, 02:03:27 pm »

~I can point you in any direction you need! Who are you looking for?~
"I don't know. Just some guys with weird rules against priests and scholars."
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 244