Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256094 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2565 on: August 12, 2014, 05:28:12 am »

"Of course it leads somewhere, you eejit, it's a fecking vortex."

Halesey restrained himself very hard from using the g word, which he hadn't for years, and hadn't wanted to for months.

"If it's such a puny hole, jump the feck in, unbeliever."

"I can't, dumbass. The thing's on my chest, and also pretty small, all things considered. Make a bigger one somewhere I can actually jump to without ripping myself in half or something."

((New spell types?))

I periodically revise the spell tables, and this turn brought you some of the newer types! For some reason, the RNG seemed to love pillars previously.

Also, you can do things on the same turn as you choose the spells, it's assumed you do it as soon as you get the choice, then move on.

"Well these have to be better than hogweed and apocalyptic salad dressing. What are you anyway?"

~Let's see... what analogy would work.. you know Nyarlahotep? Basically that, to familiarize you with the concept. But less generally awful.~

Quick question, have they noticed me?

They're far too busy munching on the dead to see you, although they are eating that one guy rather quickly.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: August 12, 2014, 05:57:46 am »

Oh balls, here it came. The g word. Gratuitous arses and shites were just around the corner.

”Jesus Christ, you fecking gobshite! Just behold the fecking potato! Can you summon fecking vortexes? Call me a fecking dumbass again and I’ll show you a fecking chest-vortex a fecking whale could fecking jump into!”

Pray to Potato God with some rhythmic mumbled chanting and, once successfully mentally prepared, cast Potato Vortex on the front door repeatedly until a vortex at least as big as a double decker bus is blocking it. Invite the heathen to jump the feck in.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: August 12, 2014, 06:33:35 am »

Tentatively get a feel for Invasion of the Undulating Porcelain Gremlin Kings. Just poke it with my mind.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2568 on: August 12, 2014, 06:39:32 am »

Ah, I wish I could take all those spells, so I could test them. Do you die when you transform into flaming margarine? Or does it allow you to transform things other than yourself? Is upgraded vinegar more like wine or more like super strong acid or just a very high quality vinegar? Does the spell make all Russians all over the world stupid? And how stupid is stupid? Slapstick stupid or laying on the floor while drooling stupid? Alas, these questions will have to wait, for
I choose Electric Sponge Form and Pit of Blue Skeletons!
The first mostly because DF logic dictates I will become an immobile yet invulnerable killing machine made of electricity (and you better pray I don't become enraged!) and the second because I'm curious how it works. And not taking the rest because I like the rest of my spells. Alas, I'll have to give up the ability to smuggle canned goods and the ability to cause a fly-related ecological disaster.

So, let's test that new spell. Hope the school doesn't collapse. But I can't let those things wander around. They're obviously dangerous carnivores. It would be irresponsible to just sneak past them.

Cast Pit of Blue Skeletons on the hairy things! Try to get all of them in the pit!

Spoiler: Eta (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: August 12, 2014, 07:44:26 am »

((Coulda sworn I posted in this))

Larry was taken aback by how tricky it was to concentrate.  Clearly he just had to get more of the Larries to listen.

"HEY all you Larries out there!  Focus on the task!   Yes, even you getting lucky there!"

Yell at the others to focus.  Hit that magic again.  Focus on Angels again.

Spoiler: Larry Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:47:59 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: August 12, 2014, 08:15:23 am »

"Yeah, I hear you. I'm pretty tired myself. What do you say we go home and rest up a bit? You can stay at my place, if you'd like."

Go home, invite James to stay over at my place if he wants to. Before going to bed, read the magazine again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: August 13, 2014, 08:56:31 am »

THE DUNKER decides to have a donut after revising his list of suspects to actually include somebody. In a swift motion, a donut enters his mouth, and as it is chewed, nothing short of pure magic releases itself into his mind.

[THE DUNKER's mind roll: 6-->6+1]

In the great dusty nebular formations devoid of light and human virtue beyond all the known stars live the Gremlins of Hoag, creatures that would be mythical, were they not immensely obscure as well. Floating in space, they group around whatever larger objects they can find, seeking things to feed on, live on and learn from, then deconstruct for further study and their own amusement. One such object is you, the Mouth. Blooming in darkness, your open maw asks for sacrifice, and the Gremlins of Hoag comply, throwing things they would not miss at you to see how you react - you roar, and the Gremlins of Hoag seem to take a message from this, bringing you things that matter now, objects that in their minds they have declared valuable, things they have built and invested effort into. You roar once more. They then bring you sacred things in the hope that you will gift them with your love, for this is what they have wished for the entire time, and when that fails to satisfy your cackling, plaintive maw, some begin to throw themselves in. They believe various things - that they will become part of you, that they will transcend their bodies, that you represent a gate into another world or that they, even for a moment, will make you a little bit happier.

All of these thoughts, you could tell them if your speech was understandable to anything even remotely close to their level of intelligence, are wrong. What enters your maw becomes nothing. It ceases to exist, and gives you no pleasure at all. You are unsure if pleasure is something that even means anything to you at this point. All you know is repose, though the actions of the Gremlins of Hoag intrigue you a tad. Issuing a massive spacetime creak, you move for the first time in millions of years, and from the Place Above and Below you stir, your mouth moving forth as the rest of your emerges into this world, its sheer size pulling in dust and deluded little gremlins, your pitch-black mass and nigh-infinite form filling all avenues of perception for billions of miles around. As the nebula disappears within you, becoming nothing along with the Gremlins of Hoag, as was inevitable, you ponder the universe. Where will you go next, and will they think of you the same way as the Gremlins of Hoag, whose true name you have erased along with any who knew it?

Moreover, does it matter to your eternal mind at all? This is the question you pose to yourself before infinity recedes, and you find yourself in the bar once more.

Halesey, it need not be said, is beginning to lose his patience.

"Jesus Christ, you fecking gobshite! Just behold the fecking potato! Can you summon fecking vortexes? Call me a fecking dumbass again and I’ll show you a fecking chest-vortex a fecking whale could fecking jump into!" he snaps, then lapses into fervent prayer. Prayer that doesn't really do him any good. He guesses the presence of gobshites like this guy takes away a bit of the magic, to say the least. No matter! Proceed he shall anyway, and nothing will stop him!

[Halesey's affinity roll: 6-->2+1]

And a vortex filled with just as much rage as Halesey himself, and slightly bigger than him as well, blocks the entrance immediately. The man at the counter nods appreciatively, then slides his ass over the counter, jumping off next to Halesey.

"Well, it's still just a hole, but I guess I'll take what I can get," he says without a trace of nervousness or emotion. He then sprints wildly into the vortex, leaping forward without a second thought, flying into its tubery grasp in a carefree, though still ambivalent manner. And immediately as he disappears, a different, homogenously pinkish and powdery figure with thick, dark hairs growing dispersely from its surface leaps out from the vortex.

"Fuck yeah! Who's the king! I'm the king!" the figure yells, sounding oddly familiar for some reason, then turns to face Halesey. "You!" he continues in a dramatic fashion, pointing at the potato acolyte.

Dave, his curiosity piqued by the sound of an Invasion of the Undulating Porcelain Gremlin Kings, tries to use his mind to find out more about the strange spell, poking it with his mental apparatus inquisitively. Getting a feel for the spell, he realizes that it seems to be sort of a gate spell - somewhat random, frequent, powerful. And behind lie the minds of the Undulating Porcelain Gremlin Kings, reaching out to his.

They seem to wish for many things. Subjugation of mortals and machines alike. Deconstruction of the complex. Learning of the structures of things, and getting inside the workings of complex things. And also obtaining some porcelain, but they're willing to compromise on that, it seems.

Eta, having just obtained a fresh spell that would be perfect for this exact circumstance, calls upon the pit of blue skeletons to surprise the unfriendly carrion eaters and prevent them from defiling any other mortal remains.

[Eta's affinity roll: 1-->2]

And the pit does indeed appear, suddenly beginning to expand beneath her own feet!

[Eta's body roll: 3-1]

It does so far too quickly for her to escape it, in fact, and she plummets right into it, a loud crunch being emitted as she lands on the blue, crawling mass of human skeletons at the bottom - they seem remarkably animate, she notices with no small degree of disturbance. And the pit is fairly deep, too.

Larry knows that this lack of focus can really only be ascribed to one thing - lack of focus. There simply is no other reasonable explanation. So he addresses... well, himself in many iterations.

"HEY all you Larries out there! Focus on the task! Yes, even you getting lucky there!"

They don't exactly listen, being in different iterations of reality, but it does seem to occur to them that focusing on magic might be a useful thing to do right now, and more Larries pull out their binders and take long looks at them in the hopes of some fine angel magic.

[Larry's mind roll: 4+1+8]

And his many minds finally react, moving through many avenues of magical knowledge all at once, stimulated by each other's experiences and moved to achieve greater heights of information gathering than previously thought possible. A wealth of possibilities opens up to him in a universe of many colors, and the magical secrets flooding through his many minds meld together in a single sphere of enlightenment, the refined, angelic glory of which each and every Larry gets to partake in.

As the Larries return to reality, the presence of the Oldthinker becomes more palpable.

"Oh, I thee. Outthider phenomena. Giveth me an idea. Thay, Larry, you know any outthiderth?" his voice asks in many of the iterations.

John, recognizing the fact that it is getting pretty late right now, heads on home with James, who seems to have no problem with staying at his place. The walk back through the neighborhood is uneventful, though John does observe quite a lot of police lines on the way to the central parts of the Lower Esplanade - fortunately, his building doesn't seem to be included in the cordon, and so he heads on there, up the stairs with James, unlocks the door and walks right in.

And right there, right in the middle of his couch, currently watching TV nervously, yeah, right there's the cowman. Mancow. Whatever. He-she-it is there, and as soon as John and James notice it, its head swivels back to take a look at the two in return.

"Moo!" it says. "Or, rather, hey! Hi, John! Hi, other guy! What's up? How's it going?"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: August 13, 2014, 09:07:26 am »

”Yes? Bit hairier than you were, eh?”

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: August 13, 2014, 09:20:05 am »

”Yes? Bit hairier than you were, eh?”

"And a bit pinker. But that doesn't matter much. So, now that that's out of the way, I guess I'll be goin', then."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2574 on: August 13, 2014, 09:27:40 am »

Aaaahhh! That wasn't supposed to happen! Skeletons shouldn't move like that! Skeletons shouldn't move at all!

"Ah! Eeeh... Excuse me! Please don't kill me? I just want to get out of here! Please?"

Run away! Get out of here! If the skeletons hurt me, cast Pitiful Underwear Vortex under them.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: August 13, 2014, 09:28:03 am »

((Surely rolling a 13 in a d6 RTD is some kind of record.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: August 13, 2014, 09:47:53 am »

"James, I need you to go outside. If you hear any sound that seems like I'm in trouble, I want you to run and get those police officers, tell them there's a murderer in here or something." John says as he puts his hand on his snub nosed revolver in his pocket and turns back to the cow "You. What the fuck are you doing in my house. It hasn't even been a week, what the hell could I have done to earn you coming to torment me even more."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: August 13, 2014, 10:05:02 am »

"No, wait. I don't recognise you with all the hairy pinkness going on. Who are you?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: August 13, 2014, 12:41:29 pm »

~Yes, that was indeed an interesting tale!~

Take House of Self-Replicating Dentures, Coffee Mug Blast, and Emit Scandalous Dentists!

Then wait for a few minutes for the others that were said to be coming. If they don't, then posit that maybe they aren't coming and we should go without them.

Spoiler: DUNKER (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: August 13, 2014, 12:51:22 pm »

Spoiler: Spell changes (click to show/hide)

Larry reeled as the angelic spell knowledge flooded his brain.  He grabbed what he could out of the tide of knowledge before he got snapped back to reality.  He blinked a couple time at the Oldthinker.  Did he know any?  What's an outsider again?

"Uhhh... maybe?  Cal saved me from a hairy mafia bean, does that count?  Some guy made of birds gave me a soul coin.  The magic binder's got a voice too?"

((I think that's all Larry has met, minus the clown demon which he isn't mentioning on purpose.  Not sure if any of those count.))
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 244