Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 255964 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2700 on: August 26, 2014, 08:26:12 am »

Dave, now prepared for the coming apocalypse, gives the Denture God the go-ahead to break out already.

"Yeah, sure."

It is less than dramatic, needless to say. But it seems the Denture God does not seem to mind overmuch.

"Well, okay. Watch your head."

And in the endless darkness beneath him, a clack is emitted, massive beyond belief to the point where it shakes the very mold around Dave. It is followed by a chorus of smaller clacks, and then by a grand grinding, then a sudden, explosive expansion that blasts, well, everything away - dim, pinkish light slips in through the cracks as Dave blasts off, along with vast pieces of land, though he seems to be rather unharmed in the process. He can observe other pieces of his own planet fly off with him - a section of chimneys and hogweed rooted into mold, a castle of some sort, a few panicking underwear herders on some fragments - nobody appears to be dying, oddly enough. Even the fungal shapeshifters Dave can see are still shifting and twitching in the air as the Denture God breaks free. And as he flies away, he beholds the entity upon which he built the planet.

It's a little odd, goes without saying. A morass of swirling rows of false teeth, interconnecting in a web of dentures of many varying sizes and origins - not just human teeth are present, either, but prosthetic mastication and incision organs of a wide variety of creatures, some of them possibly not even found on Earth. It looks sort of like somebody took the concept of your average Azathoth lookalike, then replaced tentacles with gum and tooth rows, with several additional tooth-related features. Though at the center of it, Dave does notice, very dimly, a silhouette of some kind - humanoid, recognizable.

The shards of Dave's planet seem to reach an apex as their flight slows down, possibly due to air resistance, but they do not begin to fall down afterward. Instead, they simply stick around at a certain distance from the Denture God, forming an outer, permeable shell of slowly orbiting mold. Dave seems to be on one of the innermost fragments of mold right now, he notes.

"Well, that wasn't so bad, I guess. Didn't seem to kill anyone," the Denture God says, sounding a little fresher and energetic than previously. "So, Dave, you seem like you'd have an idea, so tell me - what'd I miss? What's going on? Where'd that planet come from, exactly? And what's up with the pig-leg?"

John, James and Menkau, after making sure nobody's definitely following them, venture deeper inside the ruins of central Lower Esplanade. The trek is rather uneventful, though they do notice and seemingly are noticed by a beaver or two hiding out in the ruins, looking for places to dam from the looks of it. One in particular flees at the sight of Menkau, running straight through a nearby wall with no trouble at all, causing an already partially collapsed building fall apart entirely.

Eventually, the group manage to reach a manhole, despite both John and James hoping that Menkau might have been mistaken and meant a storm drain instead. But alas, into the sewage it is, apparently. The three people manage to get the cover off with some doing, and John is the first to descend, only to find out several things quite quickly.

Firstly, sewer tunnels are really goddamn small. John thinks he'd need to crawl to get anywhere in there. He can only think this because he can't exactly confirm it except by touch, since even with the manhole open and the streetlights partly shining into the sewer it's still mostly pitch black down there, which is the second thing he notices. And the third thing, which he only becomes aware of once he gets to the bottom, is that not only does the sewer smell quite a lot like you'd expect sewage to smell like, and that not only are there... things floating down there, there's the matter of it becoming a little hard to breathe down there, and John doesn't really harbor many illusions for the tunnels themselves, especially, since he'd need to get on his hands and knees to explore in there.

On the bright side, he thinks he does sort of sense something down the sewer tunnel - it's some distance away, but he does sense it - it's definitely a leyline. He couldn't sense a thing from above ground, not that he's an expert or anything, but down here it's easier to do that, even if it's more difficult to do everything else.

The many Larries all unify in their desire to go home now, and head back home - a couple immediately go to bed, and the rest get there in about two to three hours, though one Larry is suspiciously lost contact with, and the rest of the Larries have vivid nightmares - the same nightmare, in fact - afterwards. But they all - or rather, the only Larry currently extant, now that the water's effects have fully subsided - wake up in the next morning, rather happy that what they experienced seems to have just been a crazy dream of some kind.

Now it is a new day! And he's got eldritch beings to hunt!

The grand group of Eta, Ivette, THE DUNKER, Joanie, Shauna, Raven and Nigel head out of the bar after everyone except Joanie pays for what they've drunk. Together, they head out into the street, chatting along the way about a variety of subjects.

"So, um, I wanted to ask, are you all, like, witches? Or is it wizards?" Ivette asks at one point, about thirty minutes into the walk.

"Hell yeah, we're all wizards! Wizards and proud!" Joanie shouts as they proceed along the darkened areas of Jew Street.

"Uh, Joanie, maybe we shouldn't, like, flaunt it, you know?" Raven says unsurely, glancing about.

"Screw the haters! We're gods among people, I tell you. Ain't nobody in this world who can stop us, nobody!"

"Not before it's too late," Nigel says a little sarcastically.

"Exactly!"

"Why do you ask, Ivette?" Shauna says curiously.

"Well, you know, magic's, like, totally sweet, right..." Ivette replies coyly.

"Damn straight!" Joanie hollers.

"And it's useful, too, you know..."

"Sometimes."

"Always!"

"And I was talking with Eta, and I thought, well, where do I sign up? You know what I'm saying?"

"Aw yeah! Who's got a spare magic-thing? Anyone?" Joanie asks as they walk along the street. Nigel, Shauna and Raven all shake their heads. Just ahead of them seems to be a police line, guarded by several officers of the law. Noticing them makes Ivette a little nervous, it seems.

THE DUNKER, meanwhile, feels an odd poking sensation at the back of his head, and the pseudo-Joanie voice in his mind rings out soon after that.

~Hey, fat dude. Wanna be a masterful magical man? Impress the ladies? I may have something for ya.~

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2701 on: August 26, 2014, 08:45:54 am »

Eta's scientific (or was it unscientific?) curiosity got the better of her, focusing on questioning the other's reaction instead of Ivette's.
"Magic thing? You mean a ritual object? You don't have any ritual objects with you? Then how do you get new spells? Does your spell granting ritual not require an object? I thought only that man could gain spells without having to carry a specialized ritual object." Eta said, pointing at THE DUNKER. ((I think I've never been given THE DUNKER's name IC, that's why I keep referring to him as "that man".))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: August 26, 2014, 08:49:52 am »

Larry does his usual morning routine; yawn, stretch, fart.  He should probably eat breakfast, but hey, that weird pancake guy might have pancakes again?  He'd just have to track him down.

He did remember where he was, right?

He should probably also text Halesey, but eh, he'll get around to that.

See if I can find the Green Pancake Guy again.  If so, go knock on his door.

((Speaking of Halesey, we're very roughly time synced, right?  I think he went to the next day too before looking for his acolytes.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: August 26, 2014, 08:53:45 am »

Eta's scientific (or was it unscientific?) curiosity got the better of her, focusing on questioning the other's reaction instead of Ivette's.
"Magic thing? You mean a ritual object? You don't have any ritual objects with you? Then how do you get new spells? Does your spell granting ritual not require an object? I thought only that man could gain spells without having to carry a specialized ritual object." Eta said, pointing at THE DUNKER. ((I think I've never been given THE DUNKER's name IC, that's why I keep referring to him as "that man".))

"Well, we've got our magic things, duh," says Joanie. "At least I hope we do!" she adds, looking over at her other friends. "But it'd be really damn inconvenient to share a magic-thing, you know? I mean, I give her Archie, and then she'll ask me to share it all the time. And I don't wanna share Archie! He's my friend, you know?"

"I hear that," Ivette affirms and nods as the group slows down. The others don't see fit to say much apart from agreeing with what Joanie says at varying volumes of murmur. Well, aside from the fat g- er, that man, who seems rather thoughtful at the moment.

((Speaking of Halesey, we're very roughly time synced, right?  I think he went to the next day too before looking for his acolytes.))

Roughly, yes.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: August 26, 2014, 09:20:42 am »

((Due to being in denture hell I have no idea how much time has passed. Also I blacked out and clowns don't need sleep.))
"Well as I said before some dingus trapped me here and while trying to escape the horrible pain I accidentally turned my head into a small clown and my leg into a pig. I got rid of the clown a while back but I'm fond of this guy. I named him Charles! As for the planet I got really pissed and cast all my spells as one spell but that apparently summoned a planet inhabited by mold abominations and incredibly violent underwear. Then the voice in my head told me to poke you with my mind and here we are."
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:23:34 am by The Froggy Ninja »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: August 26, 2014, 11:02:36 am »

((Due to being in denture hell I have no idea how much time has passed. Also I blacked out and clowns don't need sleep.))
"Well as I said before some dingus trapped me here and while trying to escape the horrible pain I accidentally turned my head into a small clown and my leg into a pig. I got rid of the clown a while back but I'm fond of this guy. I named him Charles! As for the planet I got really pissed and cast all my spells as one spell but that apparently summoned a planet inhabited by mold abominations and incredibly violent underwear. Then the voice in my head told me to poke you with my mind and here we are."

"Sweet. You think you can make a planet again? Maybe a small moon or something? What spells have you got?"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: August 26, 2014, 11:26:49 am »

"Maybe. I get the feeling that was incredibly unlikely though. Plus I replaced most of my spells. Want me to try. It'll take a while to prepare."
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:50:40 am by The Froggy Ninja »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2707 on: August 26, 2014, 11:37:41 am »

"Archie? Who's Ar-... Wait. Never mind. That's not important right now. But sometime one of you is going to have to tell me where you find those ritual objects. Because the man who gave me mine was handing them out like candy."
Eta approached Ivette.
"If you really want magic, then I could share some of my matches with you. However, you have to realise that magic is highly random and probably very dangerous. You could do anything with it, sometimes even by accident. I accidentally created a human once, complete with knowledge and emotions. And as far as I know, there is no way of getting the magic out of you. You can replace the spells you get with new ones, you can stop getting spells altogether if you stop performing the spell granting ritual, but you can never get rid of them. The power will always be there, however powerful or ridiculous it might be. So, are you sure you want to do this?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: August 26, 2014, 12:26:29 pm »

~Yeah sure!~

DUNKER turns to "Ivette".

Your friend's pretty much right in this. Don't think you can get rid of it, but then again there's not much reason to.
Oh, and I'm the DUNKER,
he says to Henrietta. Could I have your name? Maybe then I'll stop forgetting you and I interacted at one point.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: August 26, 2014, 02:04:14 pm »

"Maybe. I get the feeling that was incredibly unlikely though. Plus I replaced most of my spells. Want me to try. It'll take a while to prepare."

"Well, sure. I mean, I guess anything at all can happen, but what have I got to lose?"

"Archie? Who's Ar-... Wait. Never mind. That's not important right now. But sometime one of you is going to have to tell me where you find those ritual objects. Because the man who gave me mine was handing them out like candy."
Eta approached Ivette.
"If you really want magic, then I could share some of my matches with you. However, you have to realise that magic is highly random and probably very dangerous. You could do anything with it, sometimes even by accident. I accidentally created a human once, complete with knowledge and emotions. And as far as I know, there is no way of getting the magic out of you. You can replace the spells you get with new ones, you can stop getting spells altogether if you stop performing the spell granting ritual, but you can never get rid of them. The power will always be there, however powerful or ridiculous it might be. So, are you sure you want to do this?"

"Well, he's got a lot of experience giving out samples, I guess," Joanie laughs. "Besides, I think he had, like, one follower until recently, so there's that."

"Uh, it's kind of why I came along, isn't it?" Ivette says to you.

~Yeah sure!~

Your friend's pretty much right in this. Don't think you can get rid of it, but then again there's not much reason to.
Oh, and I'm the DUNKER,
he says to Henrietta. Could I have your name? Maybe then I'll stop forgetting you and I interacted at one point.

~Take out a donut from your box, make a magical-looking gesture over it. Exact gesture doesn't matter. Maybe do it while staring at it knowingly. Imagine you have a kickass beard while doing it. And it is thus that your gimmick will be spread!~

"I guess I'm ready! I think I'm reasonably mature, you know?"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: August 26, 2014, 02:33:04 pm »

Focus on all of my spells imagining each one as a three-dimensional puzzle piece.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: August 26, 2014, 03:07:20 pm »

((Just three dimensions?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: August 26, 2014, 03:13:16 pm »

((Non-insane people can only think in three and I lost my clown.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2713 on: August 26, 2014, 04:08:31 pm »

"Okay then." said Eta to Ivette as she turned around so that her back was turned to the police officers. "If what my experiments have shown me is correct, then this will take about a minute. You're going to face a challenge. Hard, stressful one, probably." She searched her purse until she found her magic matchbox and removed a match. "Might even hear a voice in your head. So, try to relax, get ready and when I strike the match, look into its flames. Tell me when you're ready."

~Yeah sure!~

Oh, and I'm the DUNKER,
What a peculiar name... Then again, who am I to judge?
"Henrietta R. Hippo. Eta for short. Pleased to formally make your acquaintance."

((Non-insane people can only think in three and I lost my clown.))
((I could see this expression becoming slang.
"Hey dude, what took you so long?"
"Sorry. Long story. I lost my clown, man."))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: August 26, 2014, 04:10:09 pm »

Indeed.

~Will anything happen, or...?~

Try the donut gesture thing out. Make an enigmatic face.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 244