Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256121 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2985 on: October 29, 2014, 12:28:33 pm »

Larry's brilliance is, as always, only exceeded by his untamed genius.

"Okay, so, angels are holy, right?  They should glow, right?  So we just need more angels in here, right?  Right!"

[Larry's affinity roll: 3+1+1]

He faces the darkness and wills it to be engulfed in serene angels of sound and spiciness - and this is indeed what he gets, for the darkness is immediately suffused with pure angelic essence, the noisy shuffling of wings and the smell of fresh fruit, peppers and cilantro livening the place up considerably, and the singing of angelic, unmistakably ethnic voices only improves the mood.

Unfortunately, however, no light is produced by any of this.

"Doesn't help the light issue, but at least the place smells better, am I right?" the guy tries to be positive.

Halesey, being largely a cosmic phenomenon rather than a proper human being at this juncture, awaits the awakening of this drunken foolish person. When he doesn't seem to be about to do any such thing within an hour, Halesey moves on to the next plan, which is to poke him mercilessly. He pokes the man with the fleshy lining remaining of his foot, and is disappointed when this fails to wake the man in any way. Clearly more advanced methods are required.

"Wake and receive thine Holy Potato, Wise Drunkard! Tell me your name, and gaze upon your god! That's not me, incidentally," he shouts experimentally. The drunkard still doesn't react in any way. Bugger.

John, urged into action by the mild verbal abuse of his imaginary friend, plunges back into a world of magical glory by opening the magazine and inhaling deeply as he regards its secrets.

[John's mind roll: 3]

The world fades away, and above John is a sky of infinite, flat grayness, pure nothing. Beneath him is a meadow. And right there at eye level, there is nothing but a small black figurine, spinning in place. John looks at it curiously - it's a very stylized affair, a single small pillar with two large horns protruding from it, a single white light between their bases glaring all about. Continuing to observe the thing, John notices that it seems to be starting to slow down, until it comes to a stop, single pinprick of light staring him right in the eyes.

The figurine twists ninety degrees, then plunges itself into John's abdomen horns first, stabbing right into him, causing John to plummet to the ground, his concentration momentarily lost. Within seconds, he hits the ground hard, at which point he snaps back into reality.

Spoiler: John's New Spell (click to show/hide)

THE DUNKER knows what to do with a crowd of agitators - who would be better suited at dispersing them than the fine representatives of the nation's labor unions?

[THE DUNKER's affinity roll: 4+1]

A few people in the crowd are suddenly enveloped in vaguely spherical aggregations of green people who look like they're packing heat, their expressions rather grim and lethal. The other people in the crowd barely even notice, and do not react in any way - feeling this to be but a ruse, THE DUNKER orders the mafiosi to help out! Oddly, only one mafioso says anything back, and even that seems to be to soundly refuse the wizard's bidding on grounds of that not being part of the spell.

"These people remind me of my own flock, they do," Hungry Pete says, scratching his chin. "Although they are more scantily clad and slightly more blasphemous!"

His eyes flash, and behind him appears a large amount of floating pies, moving quickly to orbit slightly above him, oddly menacing for a bunch of baked goods.

"My weapons are ready. Now I need only my shield of truth, and we may charge!"

Eta, properly and rightfully paranoid of the horrors that lurk inedibly and indelibly in the night, moves out to reach the hotel. Every shadow seems ready to snap at her, and the occasional dinosaur rumbles as she passes by, making her jump with sudden fear, followed by a bout of sprinting for dear life. Every alley harbors vicious thugs and ancient conspirators in the guise of hobos, and Homeland Security lurks around every corner, ever so willing to take her to a secret place beyond the reach of the law so that the true extent of her activities can be discovered. She takes detours around lone pedestrians with what look to be smiles on their faces, ducks into doorways at each passing car. The streets feel full and brimming with ill intent, unlike their peculiar perceived lifelessness in the face of habitation during the hours of the day.

The circuitous, maddening routes she takes to avoid even the slightest hint of trouble and to hopefully throw off whatever is pursuing her cost her time - when she reaches the hotel, where Little Tay is waiting at the desk, she is exhausted, yet more tense than she has been ever before. As he raises his eyes to look at her, Eta feels terribly exposed all of a sudden.

"Hey, where you been?" he asks in a manner that sounds vaguely meaningful and slightly nervous.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: October 29, 2014, 12:50:25 pm »

"Uh, sure.  Now hang on, missing something here..."

Bless all the angels in here!  If that doesn't work, ask them if they have any light!

Spoiler: Larry Sheet (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: October 29, 2014, 03:52:49 pm »

Eh, you do what you like, Pete. I'll watch and help if you get in trouble.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2988 on: October 30, 2014, 03:07:17 am »

((Damn those inedible hobos working for Homeland Security.))
He is one of them, isn't he? I knew this was a mistake. But where else can I go? I don't have a car, I can't just go anywhere. And they'll probably be waiting for me in any sort of public transportation hub. I just got to pretend I'm calm and then act when they least expect it.
"N-Nowhere!"
Maybe I could get him to give me some money? I'll need some money to run away.
"I mean, I ran into some trouble and had to go to the hospital. Sorry. Why? What happened?
But what if they put radioactive trackers on the bills? What if they already have it on me? What if it was in something I ate?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: October 30, 2014, 06:55:54 am »

Eh, you do what you like, Pete. I'll watch and help if you get in trouble.

On Pete's left arm appears a distinctly strange formation - a set of surfaces interlocking in mindbending ways, overlapping in a way that suggests one is hardly seeing the complete picture in regarding its shape. It looks vaguely like a pointed shield.

"Now then! We are ready! Will you charge with me, fellow pilgrim, or shall I lead the way for you to follow?"

He is one of them, isn't he? I knew this was a mistake. But where else can I go? I don't have a car, I can't just go anywhere. And they'll probably be waiting for me in any sort of public transportation hub. I just got to pretend I'm calm and then act when they least expect it.
"N-Nowhere!"
"I mean, I ran into some trouble and had to go to the hospital. Sorry. Why? What happened?
But what if they put radioactive trackers on the bills? What if they already have it on me? What if it was in something I ate?

"You missed our meeting," Tay says, his features scrunching up as he takes in your shifty demeanor. "And you look like you're in trouble. You bringing any more trouble to my doorstep?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: October 30, 2014, 01:36:51 pm »

Nah, you go in and tank, Pete, I'll be DPS.
So yeah, charge away.

Attempt to prepare myself for the casting of Electric Watermelon Storm!
Sig! Onol

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: October 30, 2014, 04:23:56 pm »

Benjamin Halesey, Thing, has a sudden moment of realisation. Like, not more than twelve hours ago, probably, possibly, he was kind of normal. A bit fixated on summoning planar potato travel, but normal. A bit of a loser compared to some suited banker earning 6 figure salaries perhaps, but kinda normal, and about to probably score with Lucy that evening, and fairly content with things as they were, and -

He had the intuition that if he threw a tantrum at the Potato God, it would probably not end well.

And, if he thought about it, it would also be stupid. The whole magic thing seemed to just be happening, so if he hadn't've caught this damnable blessed gift, well, perhaps he would have been crushed by a rain of fecking dinosaurs anyway. Now, he was no longer human, he was stuck in an unimaginable world of potatoes, and he'd just spent fifteen minutes poking a drunk with the remains of his foot, but at least he wasn't crushed by a shiting lizard.

Take that, life, you bastardo!

He had no idea what to. That is to say, he wondered what to do, but felt much like he'd imagine a potato would feel. Content at being. Lost in the tao of potato. Potatao. He sniggered. Boo- He felt -

Wow! He felt childish. Puerile. He couldn't remember the last time he'd felt innocently childish and puerile!

"Booooooooo-"

No! He would not... say such things in the presence of God, but at least the sudden burst of puerility had made him remember part of himself, and thus an aim. He tried to place the focus of his mind beneath the drunken presumed-eejit.

Cast Musical Garbage Blast under the drunk!

He sniggered again as the noise went off.

"Dillhole."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: October 30, 2014, 04:37:43 pm »

"Yo, book. I somehow get the idea that Menkau is in trouble. Do you know how to contact him?"

ask book entity. Try to contact Menkau. If Menkau not contactable, look through my contacts list, never really did take a good look before.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2993 on: October 31, 2014, 10:56:34 pm »

"N-Nowhere!"

"You missed our meeting," Tay says, his features scrunching up as he takes in your shifty demeanor. "And you look like you're in trouble. You bringing any more trouble to my doorstep?"
"No. At least, I don't think so. I think I lost them. I don't know if they wanted to rob me or..." Or maybe they want something far worse. If they are working for who I think they are...

"Anyway, I am sorry about the meeting, but, as I said, something very serious came up and... Wait a second, what do you mean 'more trouble'? What trouble did I bring you?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: November 01, 2014, 05:25:03 am »

"No. At least, I don't think so. I think I lost them. I don't know if they wanted to rob me or..." Or maybe they want something far worse. If they are working for who I think they are...

"Anyway, I am sorry about the meeting, but, as I said, something very serious came up and... Wait a second, what do you mean 'more trouble'? What trouble did I bring you?"

"Shit went wrong. Real wrong. Had to clean up lobby for hours with Fee. Magic shit's been happening in here. You know anything about that?" he asks. You get the feeling he knows, or at least suspects a few things about you, though you're not sure how.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2995 on: November 02, 2014, 07:22:17 pm »

"Well, there was this rather obese man that came in here and made a floating glowing can appear out of thin air. But last time I heard of him they were... having a conversation with him in the back room. But he looked harmless enough. Just a man obsessed with doughnuts that likes to make silly but ultimately harmless things appear out of thin air."
Unless that's just what he wants people to think...
"Other than that, I can assure you that no magic took place in my presence (to my knowledge) during my stay here. Why? Did he come back and do anything to the lobby? Filled it with garbage?"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: November 06, 2014, 08:09:51 pm »

((Do I get to not pick one? I forgot the required roll for that.))
"Hey Denture god. I feel like we could be closer would you mind putting me in a denture cocoon for a while? You know as a bonding exercise. Can you do that? your powers are confusingly unexplored."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: November 07, 2014, 02:18:54 am »

"Well, there was this rather obese man that came in here and made a floating glowing can appear out of thin air. But last time I heard of him they were... having a conversation with him in the back room. But he looked harmless enough. Just a man obsessed with doughnuts that likes to make silly but ultimately harmless things appear out of thin air."
"Other than that, I can assure you that no magic took place in my presence (to my knowledge) during my stay here. Why? Did he come back and do anything to the lobby? Filled it with garbage?"

"Tell me about the donut man," Little Tay merely says.

((Do I get to not pick one? I forgot the required roll for that.))
"Hey Denture god. I feel like we could be closer would you mind putting me in a denture cocoon for a while? You know as a bonding exercise. Can you do that? your powers are confusingly unexplored."

((You can! You can choose not to take any spells on a natural six or a modified six.))

"Not a prob, dude. You want anything to happen to you in there, or just work like storage?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: November 07, 2014, 02:28:27 am »

((Shit she's onto me))
Sig! Onol

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: November 07, 2014, 03:06:12 pm »

Take no spell.
"Maybe being brought in sync with both you and the dimension itself so I can deal with it on a more direct level. And, if possible, the guy in my mind. I want to have a legit talk with him in the mindscape or whateves.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 244