Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 828031 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #4140 on: April 08, 2024, 03:33:04 pm »

I'm not feeling this one. Becoming the SCP foundation or fighting a flesh carpet or having a Thing style thriller in your colony sounds kind of fun but also exceedingly specific. Biotech Ideology and Royalty integrate very well into the base game- you can lean into hard or you can just occasionally brush up against it's features while it enhances certain things. If the eldritch horror is something I can ignore is it really horror? If I can say "actually shambling he'll beast I'm more focused on alpaca breeding in this colony then it undercuts it but if I can't do I have to disable the entire DLC if I want to breed alpacas?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: April 08, 2024, 04:54:40 pm »

The vanilla game likes to throw things at you to mix you up to begin with.  The game wants to tell a story, and quite a specific one.  It doesnt want you to run nice tribal village with occassional skirmishes with neighbors, it wants to tell the story of how 100 men armed with AKs stormed your wooden pallisades one night with no warning, or the story of how a mech drop landed right in your center plaza because lmfao.

Forcing conflict and trying to stress out a desperate player is what the game wants.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: April 08, 2024, 05:17:53 pm »

True, but I'm with Broseph on this one. This expansion is too much of a "that would be cool once in a while" kind of deal. And by "once in a while" I mean run rather than once in a while every game.

Doing an SCP/Lovecraftian based colony run is the kind of thing that I'd download a mod for and turn on if I felt like it, not something that I'd want to do so often that I'm willing to shell out money for a full expansion pack for.

Maybe I'll change my mind once I hear more about how it actually impacts your average colony. But so far it's just not getting my interest up the way the previous expansions did.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: April 13, 2024, 05:13:51 pm »

Anomaly's out, not tried it yet. Lot of people enjoying it, mods need updating, apparently pretty difficult if you're not careful.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: April 14, 2024, 02:15:26 am »

I've been playing Anomaly and it's actually pretty great. You'll need to think outside the (kill)box with this one. Interesting is that you have the option to activate anomaly stuff from the start. If you don't you get the rare low tier anomaly event but if you activate it almost all events get replaced with anomaly stuff. I've had almost no human raids once the weird stuff picked up, guess they know better than to come over here. The stuff can be pretty challenging and some of it can end a run, I'm 196 days into my first anomaly run and I've had a lot of close calls but somehow still managing without any colonist deaths.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All and all i'm really enjoying it and it's really bringing in different gameplay some of the anomaly stuff can be difficult but there's also some pretty amazing rewards and unlocks too.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: April 14, 2024, 07:51:57 am »

So tribal anomaly?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4146 on: April 14, 2024, 10:37:34 am »

Honestly, it kinda sucks as tribal. You can't do any of the interesting stuff without electricity.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4147 on: April 14, 2024, 03:21:02 pm »

It's fun, definitely not something to do every run but poking Cthulhu in the eye every now and then is a nice change of pace and I can see lots of the features for Anomoly/1.5 being useful for modding (the Engine now supports cells not tied to a world tile, which is *huge* for mods considering the hacky solution Save our Ship et al had to do to fake that).

The only other thing I could see as a big shakeup DLC tbh is either bringing in orbital exploration, or vehicles. I could see an 'exploration DLC' adding both on a similar theme. But adding 'narrative options packs' like this is an interesting way to drive more development, and the 1.5 changes alone are pretty cool and something I can see being built on for future DLCs (and of course many mods).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: April 14, 2024, 03:26:32 pm »

Vehicles really need to be a thing officially. I have played and seen mods with vehicles, but not quite the same.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: April 14, 2024, 05:42:07 pm »

I have to say
is my favorite way to deal with sieges now. It's pure chaos and works so well. Sometimes I have to clean up the siegers, sometimes the

Edit: Boy forum doesn't handle partial spoilering very well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 05:44:46 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: April 15, 2024, 11:30:44 am »

I'd definitely appreciate broader changes. A more complex system of faction interactions, more friendly caravan stuff, more significance to faction leaders and ideological politics, a system for vehicles, more off-screen stuff like player created outposts that run in the background. Really anytrhing that provides a good skeleton for modders to build off of. Rimworld's great vanilla and better with DLC but the reason all the reviews are from people with thousands and thousands of hours is because you never need to play the same exact game twice. How can you get bored when you could switch from the hatchet in space to running an old west boom town to building a medieval castle between games?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: April 15, 2024, 06:26:48 pm »

Performance rant.

I guess one positive thing of DLC is that there was, even with mods, a dearth of monstrousness. Never seen any of VE Insectoids in three game years (I assume that they are late game enemy like mechanoids), true horror in Horrors mod is maker's coding skills (only raids from the faction I got was a single naked dude, but traders brought beasties along with them, and those beasties left cobwebs all over that were neither buildings or filth and couldn't be cleared even with devmode), and VOID is all kinds of wack balance-wise. Other ones I know of are old and spent Rim of Madness and Zombieland (duh), which I never tried.

EDIT: Oh god, went back to 1.4 saves, and all custom deep storage settings got screwed over. Or maybe ones for that particular mod set that I didn't play in a while.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 02:13:39 am by MCreeper »

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #4152 on: April 16, 2024, 05:22:56 pm »

I'd definitely appreciate broader changes. A more complex system of faction interactions, more friendly caravan stuff, more significance to faction leaders and ideological politics, a system for vehicles, more off-screen stuff like player created outposts that run in the background. Really anytrhing that provides a good skeleton for modders to build off of. Rimworld's great vanilla and better with DLC but the reason all the reviews are from people with thousands and thousands of hours is because you never need to play the same exact game twice. How can you get bored when you could switch from the hatchet in space to running an old west boom town to building a medieval castle between games?

Vehicles really need to be a thing officially. I have played and seen mods with vehicles, but not quite the same.

Ludeon at this point needs to focus on making Rimworld 2 instead of this DLC doctrine. Reminds me of Paradox to be honest.. and that's not a good thing.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: April 17, 2024, 07:29:15 am »

I disagree, I think the continuing development model is superior to releasing a new version every couple years. The problem with that model is only when you lose track of what should be an update and what should be dlc.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: April 17, 2024, 10:24:44 pm »

The issue is that the basic engine is already getting slow and creeks under the load, a new engine would be able to do thing like space ships, vehicles, larger maps an so on from the start.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278