Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014  (Read 18868 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2013, 12:14:38 pm »

Yes, that really is the whole point. The input from testers should come in many forms: bug reports, forum posts, concept art, 3D prints, haikus, and also very publicly stated opinions.

If anybody here gets one of these boxes, all opinions must be in haiku form.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2013, 12:15:26 pm »

Upgradeable consoles.

Gentlemen, the next step in console evolution has been achieved. And it has nothing to do with that social media bull.

This. Allowing consoles to be built, hacked or modded is completely unprecedented in the modern console market.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2013, 12:17:45 pm »

Yes, that really is the whole point. The input from testers should come in many forms: bug reports, forum posts, concept art, 3D prints, haikus, and also very publicly stated opinions.

If anybody here gets one of these boxes, all opinions must be in haiku form.

My family hate this
The console is way too loud
So it stays turned off
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2013, 12:18:06 pm »

Not really.

This is a living room PC. Nothing special has happened. You don't have to treat is as something extraordinary just because they grabbed a PC and taped Console in it.

I like the idea behind it, and greatly encourage them to continue, but it's not like it's world changing.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2013, 12:21:32 pm »

Not really.

This is a living room PC. Nothing special has happened. You don't have to treat is as something extraordinary just because they grabbed a PC and taped Console in it.

I like the idea behind it, and greatly encourage them to continue, but it's not like it's world changing.
Trust me, if you brand it as a console, the mindless sheep that dominate the market will see it as one. Most likely, there will even be flashy speculatory titles in various tabloidal gaming magazines about how "Valve Entered The Console War" with "Stunning New Tech".

Marketing is the key word here.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2013, 12:26:33 pm »

Not really.

Trust me, if you brand it as a console, the mindless sheep that dominate the market will see it as one. Most likely, there will even be flashy speculatory titles in various tabloidal gaming magazines about how "Valve Entered The Console War" with "Stunning New Tech".

It's true. You can supposedly still use a keyboard with it, so we'll have to wait and see what actually differentiates it from PC's. (If anything)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2013, 12:29:07 pm »

Not really.

It's true. You can supposedly still use a keyboard with it, so we'll have to wait and see what actually differentiates it from PC's. (If anything)

Name. Duh.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2013, 12:30:37 pm »

If this is a conosle, and every console has console exclusive launch titles... I think it's safe to assume that we can expect a release next year of everyones favourite franchise, Dota 3.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2013, 12:33:39 pm »

Upgradeable consoles.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2013, 12:37:42 pm »

Eh, most people will see it as a console just because it is living room-based and can be navigated with only a controller.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2013, 02:19:25 pm »

To everyone who paid attention to my rather pessimistic rant about the OS: it appears the new FAQ has accidentally given us an offhand confirmation that the "openness" does include at least some source code.

To make this post quicker than my previous ones:
  • My hope is that it will be entirely open source wherever they can afford to do it.
  • My expectation is that "open source" means there are some CSS files so you can create custom skins.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2013, 02:20:08 pm »

Doesn't the license of Linux include that any OS based on it MUST be the same license or similar (aka open source?)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2013, 02:25:11 pm »

Ok, so, it sounds like, reading the FAQ things, that you'll be able to stream from PC for any game that doesn't run on Steam OS, and play games directon the box for those that do. I'm hoping one of the retail options is a cheaper box designed just to stream, because that's all I want. Anyways, very cool. It makes sense, since valve seems to want to promote being very open source with it's things.

Seeing how they said you can use the OS on any system, you could stream from a cheapo setup hooked up to the TV. An old laptop with an HDMI port would probably work.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2013, 02:26:41 pm »

Doesn't the license of Linux include that any OS based on it MUST be the same license or similar (aka open source?)

I don't think so.  Its more like all the bits of the OS have to be provided for free, and any modifications to the free software also has to be free.  Since nobody has the resources to rewrite all the infrastructure, they sort of have to provide it for free. 

In theory they could provide a "Free install disk" that installs 99% of the distribution and then provide a buyable disk that customizes the remaining 1% with proprietary software, but who would really buy it?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:28:17 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2013, 02:28:26 pm »

My understanding is that kernel must be open, but the stuff built on top of it doesn't have to be.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11