Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289130 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #570 on: January 12, 2015, 08:41:43 am »

Or gosh, you now, the entertainment industry. A significant part of it doesn't do anything useful, and has no positive side effects whatsoever.

At least military spending stimulates innovation.

I think he was referring more to government spending (though they also sponsor culture, but not sure if they do that for big bussines like hollywood and such). And yes, it is true the military often do stimulate certain areas, but one has to wonder if not more innovation could be had from directly investing that money into science, as opposed to this more roundabout way.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 12, 2015, 09:27:45 am »

So alway, what you are saying is that these things are just simplified forms of fission or fusion physics but instead are a simplified version of all that? I'm not quite sure what you were talking about; a lot of it made sense to me but when you went into the numbered realm of quantifying all that it threw me for a loop.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 12, 2015, 09:30:08 am »

I was being sarcastic....
I have no problem with this program and I thought people would notice the joke or two inside of that...
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 12, 2015, 09:36:48 am »

I wonder how much money we put into making the colliders used to find most of those? I wonder if it would have been better spent on something more.... Practical... I guess I just have a hard time being ok with throwing our money into seeing what everything is made of when of could be spent on research for cures to diseases, lessening world hunger, using a hadron collider as a WMD, keeping out environment from going to hell, finding a replacement for fossils fuels, giving those developing nations a push into the modern world, etc etc

Going from the figure Sheb stated, the LHC cost approximately 1.2% of the Defence Department spending for 1 year. Of course, the LHC was built from 998 to 2008, I think, so that's spread over 10 years, so 0.75 billion dollars a year, say.

In comparison, the cost to solve world hunger would be around 30 billion dollars, or 4.8% of the yearly Defence Department budget.

The US has the largest two air forces in the world. The first is the USAF. The second is the US Navy. The US navy is larger in ship tonnage than the next 13 navies combined, 11 of which are allies of the US. The US is in no danger by any one or combination of nations. So of places money could come, the defence spending of one year would work without even a slightest risk to Pax Americana.

NINJAEDIT:

I was being sarcastic....
I have no problem with this program and I thought people would notice the joke or two inside of that...

I've seen a lot of people comment those exact words seriously (minus the WMD part). But I've written all this now. Ah, well.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 12, 2015, 09:39:33 am »

actually you missed something.
The navy has more planes than the airforce.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 12, 2015, 10:17:32 am »

The Navy has 2,274 aircraft total. The USAF has 5,638 aircraft total.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 12, 2015, 10:20:10 am »

The Navy has 2,274 aircraft total. The USAF has 5,638 aircraft total.
Is it possible that those USAF planes are on Navy ships?
I ask because the airforce instructors at my school even admit that the navy has more planes

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 12, 2015, 10:33:44 am »

I don't know: those are just the figures I found.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 12, 2015, 10:45:16 am »

Of course, the LHC was built from 998 to 2008, I think, so that's spread over 1010 years, so 0.0075 billion dollars a year, say.

Found that typo specially funny, the blue letters "my corrections". Pictured people building a wooden LHC, kind of like the tower in the intro video of civIII
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 12, 2015, 11:37:33 am »

ok...
Ya I've got several navy relatives and they say the some thing.. One of them is also an avionics electrician so ya..

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 12, 2015, 12:11:05 pm »

ok...
Ya I've got several navy relatives and they say the some thing.. One of them is also an avionics electrician so ya..

Well, if you can find some hard figures, post them.

But that would mean the Navy would run more planes, and the huge quantity of ships, including carriers that cost ~400 million dollars a day to run, with approximately the same rough funding. If yo ucan show proof beyond ancedotes, show them, and I will stand corrected.

Of course, the LHC was built from 998 to 2008, I think, so that's spread over 1010 years, so 0.0075 billion dollars a year, say.

Found that typo specially funny, the blue letters "my corrections". Pictured people building a wooden LHC, kind of like the tower in the intro video of civIII

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 12, 2015, 12:19:27 pm »

ok...

Well, if you can find some hard figures, post them.

But that would mean the Navy would run more planes, and the huge quantity of ships, including carriers that cost ~400 million dollars a day to run, with approximately the same rough funding. If yo ucan show proof beyond ancedotes, show them, and I will stand corrected.

I'll ask around but even if its not right your stats showed that they have roughly half the aircraft that the USAF has which is quite a bit considering they aren't an air based branch, or at least not thought of as one.

also that last one is so amazing

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 13, 2015, 06:42:18 am »

Was discussing the falcon 9 landing issues with a colleague at work, wondering exactly how one can run out of hydraulic fluid, its supposed to be a sealed system after all. Is that just a fancy way of saying that they had a leak? To quote him "if my brakes fail because the line came off I don't say I ran out of brake fluid"
Magma is overrated.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 13, 2015, 06:45:30 am »

They don't use a closed system. That would be too heavy.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/554023312033341440

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #584 on: January 13, 2015, 06:46:38 am »

The Falcon 9 uses an open hydraulic system to save on weight, since the fins are only needed to operate for about four minutes. They were apparently about 10% short.

Edit: Spehss ninjas.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 232