Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 290353 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #3030 on: September 14, 2020, 12:54:12 am »

Holy. Fucking. Shit. (don't @ me about this being a UFO conspiracy channel, I know, but they're the only ones so far to reupload MIT's video which has nothing do do with conspiracy)

An atmospheric study of Venus has discovered the presence of phosphine in the planet's aerial habitable zone. Phosphine has no known abiotic source on terrestrial planets (gas giants do have such a source). Phosphine is unstable and would require a continuous source in order to be present in Venus' atmosphere.

Thus leaving us with two basic possibilities. Either we do not understand the generation of phosphine in some fundamental way, or...a source which is biological.

Which would of course be disastrous since it indicates that life is extremely common in the universe, and thus there is a great filter, and thus we are most likely fucked. Also before you ask, it's unlikely in the extreme that the USSR Venus mission somehow seeded life there and it was able to propagate in such a relatively short time span.

20-God-Damn-20, man.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: September 14, 2020, 01:06:44 am »

Anybody ready to get filtered?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: September 14, 2020, 01:07:13 am »

I for one wish we had been filtered sooner!

Also I swear to fuck if the actual first discovery of alien life is now on the bottom post of a page
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: September 14, 2020, 01:15:01 am »

Apparently there's an embargoed press release (Royal Astonomical Society) scheduled to drop on 14 September, so either today or tommorrow depending on the vagaries of time-zones, that concludes the phosphine is not from abiotic sources.  That spin will be all over the place then.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: September 14, 2020, 01:55:58 am »

(Ironic joke alert)

The hyper-lifeforms are SuperWoke, and SpaceTwitter is VERY fast to Cancel Culture. ;)

The problem is that you don't have any idea what the Hyper-lifeforms find objectionable.

Enjoy your filtering experience-- the exit questionnaire before oblivion is sometimes considered worse than the extinction level event that precedes it.

/joke

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: September 14, 2020, 08:30:40 am »

Great Filter could still be in the past, and there's other ways Earth could have seeded life on Venus, I remember reading somewhere that even Chicxulub had enough force to put rocks in escape velocity, not to mention moon formation, other impacts we don't know about, etc.

But yeah, if abiogenesis happened on Venus that's fucking huge, either we won the lottery twice in a row (possibly more if Mars, Europa, etc. also end up having their own life, even fossilized) or life is god damn everywhere.
Shoes...

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3036 on: September 14, 2020, 09:01:26 am »

I’m still vexed by the previous topic of destroying the sun, but this blows (pun intended) those thoughts away. What’s up with this year? Are we inside some kind of reversed lotus-eater machine, i.e. one designed to make things as wack as possible? A lotus-regurgitation machine?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: September 14, 2020, 09:03:32 am »

Bitcoin mining is massively increasing load on the simulation.  Non-critical functions like the procedural story generator are going on low priority, degrading their functionality.
Shoes...

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: September 14, 2020, 01:38:46 pm »

Ah another great filter discussion. I would not write off humanity just yet.  Venus atmosphere and geology are quite different from Earth, odds are it is soms abiogenic process we have not yet thought off.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: September 14, 2020, 02:11:13 pm »

Venus: Aylium microbes live in Penguin guts.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: September 14, 2020, 02:16:58 pm »

It's the Treens.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: September 14, 2020, 02:44:44 pm »

Spoiler: SMBC to the rescue (click to show/hide)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: September 14, 2020, 03:01:10 pm »

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: September 14, 2020, 03:13:36 pm »

there's other ways Earth could have seeded life on Venus, I remember reading somewhere that even Chicxulub had enough force to put rocks in escape velocity, not to mention moon formation, other impacts we don't know about, etc.
Yep, there are all kinds of reasons to think that basically the entire region around Earth's orbit is one gigantic biocontamination zone. Astrophysicists have known this for many years now.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: September 14, 2020, 03:17:52 pm »

Give us a few thousand years without going extinct and we'll start expanding that bubble to nearby stars.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 232