Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1094460 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: At Doom's Gate
« Reply #2910 on: November 10, 2014, 12:49:56 pm »

((Do guns count as common household objects? They do in 'Murrica!))

Campaign: Nikolai
"Let's hurry. You don't want to be caught by those."
Stay with the group, move to the portal, use the stick for support.
Unsheathe my sword with my other hand, and tsar-slash anything that gets too close. Or regular slash if I'm boosting Zech.

Keep an eye on Zechariah's light shields. If they begin to falter, then repair and strengthen and enlarge them with my power.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: November 10, 2014, 01:05:57 pm »

((Knives would be, and if can summon them in a torrent...))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: November 10, 2014, 01:07:26 pm »

Irine, Campaign

As I run with River, I pull my flames back towards us, reshaping them into thin circular bands of flame, rotating around the group on different axises. when the bands would impact the ground I instead have the sections about to impact reverse rotational direction, with a result that looks similar to as if the fire bounced off the ground. the orb that I've been keeping with me remains with me, again, to be used on anything that gets through.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: November 10, 2014, 01:29:00 pm »

((Knives would be, and if can summon them in a torrent...))
((It would be quite impressive))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: November 10, 2014, 05:26:05 pm »

((Ugh, I meant to respond yesterday))
Survival

update on my radar please, then head to the house that I got the least info on.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: November 10, 2014, 05:47:45 pm »

Campaign

Summon a large (as in 2 litre jug of soda large) ca of Silly String. Maintain chillness for now, but if I'm discovered by an octopus or the possessed knight guy, apply excessive amounts of silly string to the facial area in an attempt to distract them while I go hellbent for the portal. If I'm not discovered, just keep calm and move towards the portal when I'm not gonna bump into the knight guy or the octopi.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: November 10, 2014, 10:49:33 pm »

Campaign

Zechariah was hoping that his abilities would not falter now. He could seriously lower their risk of coming under attack if he just coordinated his light shields correctly. If he couldn't manage them, the octopuses would be invited to attack the group head-on.

"Right, let's move!" he said with determination, readying his staff and concentrating his mind.

Manipulate and/or create light shields to defend the sides and top of anyone who is accompanying me. Focus my mind on this task, I need as much energy as I can to maintain the shields and calculate them accordingly to be efficient with the hardlight distribution. Still, watch where I'm going. Wouldn't want to walk into the enemy, would I?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2917 on: November 11, 2014, 12:00:10 am »

Survival

((Ugh, I meant to respond yesterday))
Survival

update on my radar please, then head to the house that I got the least info on.
You sense someone in a nearby house. You can feel his fear, his wish to escape.
There's also someone else in another house. Feels female. Not as concerned as the others, more annoyed actually.
There's a third person whose emotions are too dull right now to get any clear reading.
Other than that, the area that you can sense feels empty.

You try the door of one of the empty houses that don't look abandoned. Locked. Well, you could always break in. Or you could try one of the obviously abandoned houses if you want, one of them is bound to be either unlocked or have a broken window.

Survival

No rolling! Keep stabbing and pull people towards me/into my spear if needed. Maybe even try to grab a guy by his face and fire a point-blank blast.
Survival

"Watch where you point that thing!  Damn!"

Try again!  Make molotov, throw molotov.
Survival

Well, I'm behind a burning car, with no gun, and a bunch of angry thugs want me dead. I am going to push my car onto one of them. Crush a thug with it
Ron has a brilliant idea. There is a car in front of him. There are guys that want to kill him behind it. Therefore, pushing the car should crush them. He gets up, puts his foot against the door of the car and pushes. The car screeches forward a bit on its tireless wheels before it topples over and starts tumbling towards the other car. But when it reaches it, instead of the sound of a single impact, there is the sound of two.
Puzzling.
A few moment later, a voice comes from behind the wreckage.
"I can't... I can't feel my legs!"
Aaaahhh! So that explains that.
"That's probably because your legs are way over there." Ron helpfully points out. Even though Saevus probably can't see where he is pointing at.
"Could he ever feel his legs? Isn't he something like a magical robot?" John ponders as a bunch of small glass canisters attached to a hollow metal tube with a stone inside it appear and assemble in his hand.

Their pondering is interrupted by the sound of the second car accelerating towards them. It's still a few dozen metres away but it's getting closer.

((This mission... This mission... Everything that can go wrong... At this point I think it has turned into "Who will be the last man standing". Maybe I should had made it easier.))

Campaign

((As far as I know, any sort of metal dust in the air is very bad news if you have an open flame around. For example, examine this link over here - says that copper powder may form an explosive mixture with the air and that the autoignition temperature for a cloud of copper dust is 700 degrees Celsius, which makes sense when you consider that the flammability of anything goes up several degrees when it's in airborne dust form (like how cocaine clouds violently combust when ignited, apparently). If it's really copper dust in the air, shouldn't the lightning strikes cause the entirety of the surrounding area to violently explode? A quick search tells me that a lightning strike can heat up the air it passes through up to 50 000 degrees Fahrenheit, which seems like it should technically be enough to make it ignite and go boom over a certain area. Of course, I'm not a chemist, either, so there might be some nuance to the whole thing, even if it seems a little counterintuitive to me that there'd be enough copper dust in the air to produce green flames (which would indicate there's enough of it to ignite and even predominate in the flame in the first place), yet not enough to violently explode all of the things at breathable oxygen levels when exposed to an open flame. It probably depends on the wonkiness of the local physics.

EDIT: Though I guess the flammability problem is offset if you make it copper (II) oxide or something similar instead. Cu2+ actually would produce green flames rather than blue-green ones like elemental copper would (though I still don't think it'd color all the flames green, just the ones without another fuel source - could be wrong). Not sure it coloring lightning is entirely plausible, either. But probably best not to dwell on that overmuch.))

Campaign, Ike!

"You guys might want to consider pushing forward or at least trying to pass through the portal - I have this feeling there's way more yellow land octopuses around here than any of us may have dared to suspect!"

Spoiler: IkeNotes (click to show/hide)

First question - is anything coming after me right now? Me specifically as I am stepping off in another direction, that is?

If not, circle around the charging mass of yellow land octopuses and move in the direction of the portal. Brandish knife in any case.

If yes, stand next to our blasting experts and ward off any attackers who get into tentacle range.

((I was going with a)this place has existed for quite some time, so most of the copper should had already been oxidised and b) the copper particles would tend to accumulate in lower altitudes due to gravity, so in the higher altitudes where the lightning strikes happens the concentration should be smaller.

But you're right. I certainly don't know much about the subject. So let's just say it's weird physics bending and be done with it.))

You'd say that no, none of them are coming specifically for you. They are moving closer to you but none of them are facing you or changing their orientation to track you. So you just take off towards the right, trying to circle around to a point where the octopus concentration is small enough to easily pass through them.

As you get closer to them however, you notice that a couple of them change heading and start moving towards you. Then again, they aren't moving that quickly. You could pass through them if you moved quickly enough. Assuming that they aren't super-fast and that this isn't just some kind of ruse to trick you into approaching them.

Campaign

Summon a large (as in 2 litre jug of soda large) ca of Silly String. Maintain chillness for now, but if I'm discovered by an octopus or the possessed knight guy, apply excessive amounts of silly string to the facial area in an attempt to distract them while I go hellbent for the portal. If I'm not discovered, just keep calm and move towards the portal when I'm not gonna bump into the knight guy or the octopi.

A giant can of Silly String that looks more like a large fire extinguisher appears from your hand. And almost immediately, every one of those creatures around you starts stabbing at your box with their tentacles, wrapping them around your arms and legs. You jump out of the box like a scared cat and manage to break free of their grip for now.

You do a pirouette while shooting your sticky goo everywhere around you. The mound of aerosol-propelled goop you bury them under is enough to buy you some temporary breathing space, but they are already freeing themselves from it and moving towards you. More of them are turning to face you, making their way towards you.

You try to get away, but you aren't the best of runners. What's worse, in the darkness, you fail to spot a small crack. One of your legs falls into it and gets momentarily stuck. You fall and drop your can in the process, thankfully without spraining your leg. If thankfully is a word that can be used when you are surrounded by creatures that want to do nasty things to you with their swords and tentacles.

This idea just went from "could had been planned better" to "very bad". Let's see how long it takes to reach "horrible" and "deadly".

Campaign: Nikolai
"Let's hurry. You don't want to be caught by those."
Stay with the group, move to the portal, use the stick for support.
Unsheathe my sword with my other hand, and tsar-slash anything that gets too close. Or regular slash if I'm boosting Zech.

Keep an eye on Zechariah's light shields. If they begin to falter, then repair and strengthen and enlarge them with my power.

Irine, Campaign

As I run with River, I pull my flames back towards us, reshaping them into thin circular bands of flame, rotating around the group on different axes. when the bands would impact the ground I instead have the sections about to impact reverse rotational direction, with a result that looks similar to as if the fire bounced off the ground. the orb that I've been keeping with me remains with me, again, to be used on anything that gets through.
Campaign

Zechariah was hoping that his abilities would not falter now. He could seriously lower their risk of coming under attack if he just coordinated his light shields correctly. If he couldn't manage them, the octopuses would be invited to attack the group head-on.

"Right, let's move!" he said with determination, readying his staff and concentrating his mind.

Manipulate and/or create light shields to defend the sides and top of anyone who is accompanying me. Focus my mind on this task, I need as much energy as I can to maintain the shields and calculate them accordingly to be efficient with the hardlight distribution. Still, watch where I'm going. Wouldn't want to walk into the enemy, would I?
Your group makes your way through the path of least resistance, the path Nikolai's boulder and Irene's fires cleared. Irene easily manages to boost her barrier whenever and wherever an enemy approaches it, dissuading them from attempting to get any closer. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Zechariah, who somehow manages to completely loose his concentration, causing all his hardlight crystals to vanish. Perhaps he is distracted by the fact that two of his teammates are missing.

Your approach is made even easier by the fact that half of the enemies in your way seem to have been distracted by something. Closer observation reveals that the thing that has them distracted is Alan, who is currently lying on the ground next to a giant can and some of those creatures, which have been covered in a colourful sticky substance. Not trapped for long though. They are already in the process of escaping.

<Keep moving. I will catch up.>

As he says so, two of the swordsman-slaves make it through the fire barrier and stand in a ready stance, preparing to swing their swords once you get closer.

River charges at one with a growl, hitting the swordsman before he can react, his punch-grab destroying the heart of one of the creatures wrapped around him and causing him to catch on fire. The swordsman is propelled backwards by the force of the impact, going right back through the flame barrier. River follows after him, making his way towards Alan.

Nikolai engages the second one. He first tries to tsar-slash the slave from a distance, but he seems to be suffering from the same magical impotency Zechariah is. So he is forced to engage it in melee along with Theri. His strike is easily parried by the swordsman, so he tries to engage it in a contest of brute strength, pushing against it with his sword until he manages to shove it down. At that moment Theri attacks and is easily able to use her strength and skills in unarmed combat to destroy the heart of the creatures controlling the swordsman's body. And just in time too, since one of those creatures was in the process of releasing its host and getting ready to grab Nikolai.

"Killstealer!" Nikolai jokes as he rubs his recently repaired leg. That hurt, straining himself like that. Looks like River was right. It's not fully mended yet.

Staging Area

"Ah, yes, of course. Wouldn't want to be late for a meeting, especially with someone I don't know. I don't know anyone worth having a meeting with they all just tend to yell at me about 'Your experiments keep destroying sections of the city!" Feh. No appreciation for mad science. so obviously this time it will be someone with appreciation of science."
Get up and walk through the double doors. Scribble cryptic comments on my clipboard while walking through the doors.
You get up, open the door and step through it to the other side.

The room on the other side is in the shape of a semicircle. The part of the circle directly opposite to you is dominated by a giant screen displaying the same logo you saw earlier. The rest of the semicircle is composed of glass windows showing a few skyscrapers, their scant lights blending with the stars in the night sky and faintly illuminating the clouds that they rise out of. The wall behind you is made out of the same dark plastic there was in the previous room. You notice there are cameras in the ceiling, tracking you as you move forward. You make your way towards the only pieces of furniture in the room. Three armchairs arranged in a semicircle in front of a tall desk with a squawk-box on it.

"Welcome." comes a voice from the box, slightly distorted.
"Welcome Mr..."
There's a slight delay and the sound of papers being moved.
"Ah, here we are.  Mr. Welroki. Nice name. Catchy."
"Please, have a seat."

OOC
((Slightly relevant, I was surprised to see that Wikipedia says silly string is used at weddings. Those must be some very fun weddings.))

((Now I wish I had stashed some in my tux somewhere.  Would have made mine more hilarious.

Then again, after dropping a chocolate-covered strawberry on her wedding dress, I was already on thin ice...))
Ouch. Hopefully that was after the wedding ceremony and could be passed off as "cute/funny accident".

A few months ago I attended a wedding where the first song the newly-weds danced to was the groom's favourite football team's anthem. So I guess it all depends on how much one is capable of pushing it without causing trouble. Or how seriously the ones involved are treating it. Or how obsessed one is with their football team.

((Do guns count as common household objects? They do in 'Murrica!))
Well, I suppose he could try to summon them, but they would probably get a penalty. Guns aren't THAT common. Even if they were, he would probably still get that penalty, if only to make it less overpowered. And he can shoot them out of his hand, he can't actually shoot them when summoned, so he'd have to summon them and then pick them up and use them. He couldn't fire a stream of guns that fire bullets as they fly. Or a robot with guns for arms shooting a plane made out of guns that fires guns.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:10:37 am by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: November 11, 2014, 12:16:29 am »

Campaign - Smartest Man Alive

Quick! Emergency plan activate! Summon hair spray and a lighter, and use the flamethrower this combination yields to set the silly string on fire!
Then continue running away.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: November 11, 2014, 12:21:06 am »

Irine, Campaign

Formation unchanged, but my defensive orb is to be send to provide our Prodigal Boxman some cover. focus on attacking any squids that are getting their tendrils on him, don't go for the kill unless they refuse to let go or I have nothing better to do to protect him.

Physically, I keep running with the group for the portal.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: November 11, 2014, 12:34:33 am »

Campaign

Focus! Reassemble the shield array and...

Continue with the last action, pretty much.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: November 11, 2014, 12:41:02 am »

Campaign, Ike!

"Wily little octopuses. Probably quicker than they look, too."

Spoiler: IkeNotes (click to show/hide)

Be ready to dodge a lot as I move on toward the portal in the aforementioned circling manner.

Try to adjust my course so that I can potentially assist Alan in passing. Even if that would seem a dangerous thing like few others.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: November 11, 2014, 12:53:28 am »

Campaign

"Zech, shields up."

Loot that zombie's sword and give it to Theri. She could make good use of a sword. Unless she prefers to use a knife for some reason. If that's the case, store it in my scabbard.

Stay with group, use walking stick for support. Try to be extra careful.
Tsar-slash anything that gets near. Or regular slash if I have to.

If Zech's shields falter (from enemies breaking through, not from magical impotency), then repair, strengthen, and enlarge them with my power.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: November 11, 2014, 02:10:13 am »

((I did not expect this to happen.))

((... does anyone have some duct tape?))
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: November 11, 2014, 10:29:50 am »

Survival

Sense the thing I made; if it's a reliable weapon, use it at the approaching car.  If it just needs a little patching, fix it first.

If it's hopeless, just fire a few rounds at the oncoming car then duck back into cover.

How's the leg feel?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:32:47 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 521