Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 133627 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 37 - Interlude
« Reply #780 on: February 12, 2014, 01:31:49 pm »

"Ah, Shas Ria! What a town! Definitely the least pestilent excuse for a hole in the ground I've been to this week, that much is certain!"

Follow Ekoka around and help negotiation of proper living quarters if I can. Also, read his book over his shoulder stealthily.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 12, 2014, 03:41:05 pm »

"Wait, I've only got the water and force book here. Which one of you took my fucking light magic book, I was going to read that one! In fact I distinctly remeber having 5 of these damn things, you bastards better return them, because I was planning on selling them to buy more arrows and a new bow."

Swear like the sailor I am and get my light magic book back. Help the guys looking for a place to stay, read the page with the kidzuku symbol again if I get the time, using kidzuku:comprehension.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 12, 2014, 04:00:18 pm »

"Wait, I've only got the water and force book here. Which one of you took my fucking light magic book, I was going to read that one! In fact I distinctly remeber having 5 of these damn things, you bastards better return them, because I was planning on selling them to buy more arrows and a new bow."
"Not until the magic-users have all read them all. Alright?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 12, 2014, 04:09:54 pm »

"I don't know what backwater shithole you were born in, but you usually don't just assume you can use other people's stuff without at least asking. I know I can't do anything with them, so I'll let it slide and you can use them. But you will get them back to me in tip-top shape and you will hand me back the one about light magic right now. Find your own magic books next time."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 12, 2014, 04:11:53 pm »

Ekoka tosses it back. "Didn't realize it was yours. You just left it laying around a couple days back."

((In my defense, I had no intent of stealing the book. And I think that Ekoka would have asked to borrow it if the GM had asked if I asked.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 12, 2014, 04:22:16 pm »

((No reason to defend yourself, I personally don't terribly mind but I also found it odd that they weren't in my backpack when I didn't explicitly hand them out. Honestly, it's just the book about light magic I'm interested in for the kidzuku symbols, though selling the rest of them would be nice, for obvious reasons

Also, I hope none of you mind if Felice goes full on stereotype and swears all the time.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 12, 2014, 04:49:20 pm »

((It is a bit odd.

And for equally obvious reasons, all magic people should read all books before we sell them. And we should consider keeping any remarkable ones, if only for reference. And when we DO get ready to sell them, we should do so somewhere where there is demand for them, like a big city. What would the people here do with it, and why would they pay anywhere near its potential value?))
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 12, 2014, 05:23:22 pm »

"I don't know what backwater shithole you were born in, but you usually don't just assume you can use other people's stuff without at least asking. I know I can't do anything with them, so I'll let it slide and you can use them. But you will get them back to me in tip-top shape and you will hand me back the one about light magic right now. Find your own magic books next time."
"Apologies for any offense. We've been a bit out of sorts since the devil-town, as most of us were quite injured, or at the least very, very tired. Would you mind lending me the Force and Water books so that I might study them and harm less teammates when I eventually use those spheres? I'm particularly bad at Force magic, so that one would be appreciated especially. I'll be heading over to the University, as that seems the popular place for some reading, and after doing so I will be asking around about the Cnoc Adh devils.
And if you still have doubts about my ability to return them in the same condition I would be willing to put down gold as collateral."

((What would the people here do with it, and why would they pay anywhere near its potential value?))
((DERES A *UNIVERSITY* HERE. Presumably it has lots of books and probably a above-average number of magic users. And they probably ALREADY HAVE THESE BOOKS, as they seem to be pretty basic treatises on the "schools" of magic. These would probably sell BETTER in a shit town where such things are rare, especially if you spin it off as a means of protection from mages i.e. "knowing about magic helps fight it" kinda thing.

Also for Pancaek I personally kinda assumed that the timeskip turn where we "took" "your" books would include our characters politely asking instead of just snatching them like you did when it was looting time. While I can understand a certain amount of possessiveness with looting, its generally a good idea if we allow any loots that have no real benefit to the looter but lots of benefit to other teammates to be taken by those teammates freely. For example, when I reforged Baldur's Greatsword I didn't try and keep it for myself, I handed it right off to him. Granted I wasn't ASKED in that case, but I didn't need to be, I woulda given it anyway.
We are a PARTY, and making sure our companions are all they can be is a major part of being successful with that. Hell my character was DESIGNED for just that reason. He's....kinda grown since then :P but the concept still stands and I don't intend to put my healing on the back shelf just cuz I have a crazy amount of munchkinry to do.))
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 05:31:23 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 12, 2014, 06:23:34 pm »

((DERES A *UNIVERSITY* HERE
((Dangit, for some reason I thought we were still in the little village.))

And they probably ALREADY HAVE THESE BOOKS, as they seem to be pretty basic treatises on the "schools" of magic. These would probably sell BETTER in a shit town where such things are rare, especially if you spin it off as a means of protection from mages i.e. "knowing about magic helps fight it" kinda thing.
((I suppose we might consider heading to a slightly smaller town first, then.))
Sig

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 12, 2014, 06:37:44 pm »

Okay, before the High Lord of Munchkinry here gets too carried away, I might just clarify a few things.

The five books you've found are five basic books on magic - Water, Fire, Force, Light and Earth. They are meant to help mages who can't project magic to learn the basics of doing so. Which is why it bumped Ekoka up to level one, but Thuun just learned a new spell. Each book also has some generalities, such as other applications for the fields. Non-mages can't always find useful things, but if Felice was of a mind to learn psychic abilities then he might find something useful.

Your best chance for selling the books, if you so desire, is in a big town. As you might remember even larger towns currently don't like mages very much on account of suspicions vis a vis cutting the damn sun in half, but at least larger towns should be less suspicious. You can hope.

You only had four books. The fifth one was found by Ekoka and it's all his.

((OMG, this has provided SOOOO much material for my mad min/maxing. I mean, for one thing I'm possessed by the ANGEL OF CREATIVITY, which I read as the Lord Almighty of Munchkinry. So I imagine keeping him happy will mostly involve "do what you been doing, you crazy motherfucker" and probably also "don't be a dick" which my negative trait kinda weans me away from anyway.

On top of that, the revelations about Light magic are pretty awesome, and mean I now theoretically have a bonus to YOURSOULISMINE and the Pokémon summons that I will probably find flimsy justification for at some point.

So yeah, just the lore and understanding granted by that ALONE compel me to READ ALL DA BOOKS BRO. ALL DEM. But I'm mostly eyeing that Force one so I can possibly balance out that particular shortfall in my repertoire.

It's less 'be creative and I'll love you' and more 'be creative or I'll take my gift back, thank you very much.' If you want it to grow you have to seriously impress the angel.

((Munchkin-y idea of the day: Life magic and transformation/polymorphing, is it possible and could I use it selectively on bodyparts to turn myself into a genetic abomination of sexiness? Particularly I want to permanently harden my skin, possibly into a scaly type exterior, and possibly increase muscle mass for things like teh supa jumps. Could also go for gills/waterbreathing/other permanent natural abilities that make evolution scary and those who can force it scarier.
Related: Could those Life conduits of Lyu's be made permanent? And if so, what kind of interaction would they have with the regen ability?

There is DEFINATELY a reason you gave me the Angel of Creativity, huh? :P))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 12, 2014, 07:24:16 pm »

((What, and new spells aren't enough of a temptation to read the books?))
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 12, 2014, 07:43:58 pm »

((Munchkin-y idea of the day: Life magic and transformation/polymorphing, is it possible and could I use it selectively on bodyparts to turn myself into a genetic abomination of sexiness? Particularly I want to permanently harden my skin, possibly into a scaly type exterior, and possibly increase muscle mass for things like teh supa jumps. Could also go for gills/waterbreathing/other permanent natural abilities that make evolution scary and those who can force it scarier.
Related: Could those Life conduits of Lyu's be made permanent? And if so, what kind of interaction would they have with the regen ability?

There is DEFINATELY a reason you gave me the Angel of Creativity, huh? :P))

((So is there an in-universe reason for this not being possible or is it just because it would be unbalancing? Game-wise OR story-wise, seeing as you're planning to make a novel with this, I see how having ONE DUDE do all the crazy awesome shit would throw a wrench into readability, but if that becomes a problem you could just throw the crazier-awesomer shit into other, new characters you think up.
Like taking the "Life-magic Genetic Abomination" idea and also giving a character some shadow magic and suddenly they're the GODDAMN BAT-MAGE!

I'M JUST DOIN WHAT THE DRAGON-ANGEL INSIDE ME WANTS TO DO!))
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:10:33 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 12, 2014, 08:39:55 pm »

In-universe: The laws of nature in Maska are rigid and quite scientific. You'd need ridiculously fine control of your magic to alter genetic structure and people aren't even aware that genes exist. It's the freaking bronze age, man.You'd need to reroute dozens of nerves to allow gills to work as well as completely rebuild your respiratory system to cope with secondary input; you'd need to come up with a way of fitting your nerves together with hardened skin so that you can still maintain some usefulness of your hands - remember, sensory nerves in your fingers work based on pressure! You'd also need to somehow make it all flexible enough that you don't just turn into a statue. Everything would require extra matter, since you can't create something from nothing. And you'd need to do it all, really fast, since they all involve massive bodily changes that if stopped halfway through would kill you.

About the only doable one would be increased muscle mass, but you have to be wary of the square-cube law. But if you want super-jump or increased strength, what the hell do you think force magic is for?

Out of universe: I've already accidentally given you freaking Dohvakiin powers, I'm not letting you become some sort of mash-up of Colossus, Mystique and Aquaman.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 12, 2014, 09:18:30 pm »

...as well as completely rebuild your respiratory system to cope with secondary input
I'd say that that shouldn't be too hard, especially if the gills are in the chest area. A bigger problem would be avoiding dehydration when out of water.

And you'd need to do it all, really fast, since they all involve massive bodily changes that if stopped halfway through would kill you.
Depending on the change and the method, he might be able to do some of them halfway.

Out of universe: I've already accidentally given you freaking Dohvakiin powers, I'm not letting you become some sort of mash-up of Colossus, Mystique and Aquaman.
Wait, that was an accident?
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 12, 2014, 09:32:59 pm »

In-universe: The laws of nature in Maska are rigid and quite scientific. You'd need ridiculously fine control of your magic to alter genetic structure and people aren't even aware that genes exist. It's the freaking bronze age, man.You'd need to reroute dozens of nerves to allow gills to work as well as completely rebuild your respiratory system to cope with secondary input; you'd need to come up with a way of fitting your nerves together with hardened skin so that you can still maintain some usefulness of your hands - remember, sensory nerves in your fingers work based on pressure! You'd also need to somehow make it all flexible enough that you don't just turn into a statue. Everything would require extra matter, since you can't create something from nothing. And you'd need to do it all, really fast, since they all involve massive bodily changes that if stopped halfway through would kill you.

About the only doable one would be increased muscle mass, but you have to be wary of the square-cube law. But if you want super-jump or increased strength, what the hell do you think force magic is for?

((Thanks, its nice to see the actual problems with the stuff I want to do instead of just HERBLERB NUU YUUU CANNN'T! Helps work out the kinks in my munchkinry :P
Also I think force magic is for short bursts and not permanent changes XD

Oh and hilariously, I sent you a message about how it was 2 AM where you are and basically being sarcastic about how you "NEED TO BE ONLINE WHEN I'M ONLINE" and when I finished that PM I looked down and you were online. You psychic bastard :P

And this "augmentation" stuff is obviously some longer-term goals, and not something I plan to do in the next turn or something retarded. I just figured I would ask and see what the issues were so I can start putting an actual plan into action about it.

BTW, did the "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" include the thing about Lyu's Life Tattoos? COULD that kind of thing be made permanent? And could it also be applied with other forms of magic? RESEARCH MUST BE DONE!))

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 74