Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 134281 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 38 - Shas Ria, the City of Summer
« Reply #840 on: February 16, 2014, 12:32:42 pm »

"Hey, uh... Ekoka, yes! I just realized something!" Lyu suddenly says. "About the demons. I think I know what their problem is!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 16, 2014, 12:47:10 pm »

"Hm? Oh, good. What is it?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 16, 2014, 12:54:34 pm »

((GOD. DAMN. IT.

I saw the update was in this morning after work, but then had to go out for breakfast, spending the whole time wondering what had happened during the update, what wonders would be learned, got home and IMMEDIATELY had to crap, so no update for another half hour or so, THEN mom forced me out to watch Dog Whisperer with her before I could read the update and I FINALLY get to read it and I just get SHAFTED. Completely UTTERLY shafted. Thuun did nothing but fail and cry in a corner while everyone else did interesting things. FUCK. Not only did he fail, but did so so hard that he couldn't even finish the rest of his action.

GOD. DAMN. IT.))

Just fucking go to bed and head to the university in the morning I guess. Ugh.

((...well I guess not EVERY turn can be volcanoes and dragons and wonders, but still, there was so much I wanted to do before we inevitably get shoehorned into some midnight invasion or some shit and now its just gone forever.
Some of which was talk to the important people around the city and look into preparing the city for said inevitable midnight invasion. That "Capstone" sounded promising. A gem shaped like a flame huh? Gems have facets. Each facet could potentially hold a rune of fire. The Capstone could be turned into some kind of automated defense system that enhances the natural heat of the desert to burn devilings. I refuse to call them demons because apparently demons already exist and are very different then what we encountered.
ADDENDUM: Or we could have half fire runes and half LIGHT runes, giving Shas Ria PERMANENT DAYTIME. Which somehow fights devilings. Because shut up.
Why would we do this for a town we might never return to? Well because we already had ONE town just go to fucking hell in our wake, and I would rather not let it become a habit. Damaging Rumors that way lie.))
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:01:31 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 16, 2014, 01:15:15 pm »

"Hm? Oh, good. What is it?"

"Well, you see, you know how the demon we met was all 'foolish mortals, you are mere food, you are unworthy, weak and good for only murdering for fun!' I think I realized why that was. You see, I kept having this recurring thought - 'real evil demons don't flex nuts, 'cause real evil demons know they got 'em.' It's relevant! It's also why no really terrible demons have come out of whatever netherworld they inhabit that isn't Yagalia. The demons coming out right now, they're weak in demon terms, because they're the only ones who need to come out to the mortal world in the first place. There's no, say, elder evils hanging around the world. It's not because the powerful ones are too huge to fit through portals or anything. But why else would the weak demons come out here and nobody else, you might ask?"

"Simple! Imagine, if you will, the life of a demon, or any similar extradimensional entity that's not quite like what we have in Yagalia. They live in the dark and infinite realms beyond human comprehension, in what I presume to be some sort of bureaucratic system or at least some kind of pecking order. Now, them being demons and all, I don't imagine the system being either nice or fair to the little guys. In fact, I imagine that they spend every second of their lives getting, for lack of a better term, shit on in all sorts of nasty ways by horrors we dare not envision. And the only reprieve they ever get from that is probably when they get to pull out of there and land in the mortal world - I imagine they don't go to the godly realms for fear of getting their demonic derrieres completely destroyed. So being here is, in a manner of speaking, a vacation for them with quite a bit of escapist power fantasy mixed in! It's why they go for dramatic speeches and tell everyone their names. It's also why they try to act out as much as possible and destroy whatever they can - it must all be really cathartic for them, being the big man or top dog for a couple days or weeks until a mortal comes along and tears it to pieces, or maybe binds it into service. The greater demons, obviously, don't come to the mortal world because they can humiliate and degrade their lessers all they want back home and nobody can tell them any different, plus their realms are probably infinite and wouldn't really benefit from expansion in any significant way, so the only reason they'd be interested in the mortal world would be to mess with the gods, and right now that's probably not a priority because the gods are pretty messed up as it is. I imagine some thousand-mouthed monstrosity is still laughing its billion-cheeked ass off in some dark pit about the whole Ten Day Night debacle!"

"So, yes. I think we rather ruined some poor schmuck's dream vacation when we brutally dismembered him back in the village. It's an interesting perspective on the thing, I think. Makes me feel for the demons, in a way."

Watch what Ekoka's doing. Provide moral support. Read more of his earth magic book if he's not using it. Not to learn magic, oh no, gods forbid. Just see if there are more interesting tidbits about angels and whatnot there, or maybe generally practical advice.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:21:54 pm by Harry Baldman »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 16, 2014, 03:22:52 pm »

((Son of a bitch, there goes my only combat bonus. In return I get a abstract mind magic ball puzzle that I'll never be able to solve because I am absolute shit at these sorts of things. At least I still have the explodey-arrows, those will come in handy.))

"Ow, fuck me sideways, that wasn't all that pleasant..."

Read the fire book, try not to burn out my brain this time. After this, go ask the innkeeper if he knows if there's a place to train my bows skills around here.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 16, 2014, 04:32:47 pm »

-snip-
"Interesting. Also possible that they're the small fish in the big pond, so they're going to try and be big fish in the little pond. If you're going to read that book, could you find another for me to use? Any book will do, I just need a model."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 16, 2014, 04:51:27 pm »

"Interesting. Also possible that they're the small fish in the big pond, so they're going to try and be big fish in the little pond. If you're going to read that book, could you find another for me to use? Any book will do, I just need a model."

"I suppose I could look. And I also suppose the demons would certainly love being on permanent vacation here. Who wouldn't, if their alternative was being tormented or at least horribly annoyed forever in eternal darkness? I worry about what will happen if or when too many of them start popping up! Imagine this entire world becoming some sort of slum for aspiring demon youths to escape to and live out the tradition-free life! It would be somewhat awful, I believe. I wonder if they would be smart enough to not kill everyone?"

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 16, 2014, 05:45:16 pm »

((GOD. DAMN. IT.

Yeah, I saw your rolls and just thought "Ah shit, that's not good."

But really, the rest of your action was "Study as many of the magical texts as I could and then take them all to the university and talk with the professors there about everything that's happened." There was no way I could fit the entire thing into just one turn, or else I'd have been writing for another couple of hours!

Although if you notice, your headache stops you from doing anything magical. You really should just go for a nice long walk. It'll probably sand the edges off the headache and let you spend the afternoon talking with people.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 16, 2014, 09:44:32 pm »

((GOD. DAMN. IT.

Yeah, I saw your rolls and just thought "Ah shit, that's not good."

But really, the rest of your action was "Study as many of the magical texts as I could and then take them all to the university and talk with the professors there about everything that's happened." There was no way I could fit the entire thing into just one turn, or else I'd have been writing for another couple of hours!

Although if you notice, your headache stops you from doing anything magical. You really should just go for a nice long walk. It'll probably sand the edges off the headache and let you spend the afternoon talking with people.
((Well the books thing was obviously out at that point, but I still wanted to discuss the devilings with them.
Also the ENTHUSIASM you put into "you should go for a walk" just tells me I'll be assassinated immediately :P))

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 16, 2014, 10:24:39 pm »

No, no, I guarantee you won't be brutally murdered the second you step outside. That won't happen until tomorrow.

I was thinking about writing up your entire action, but I decided that since it took half a day for everyone else to study one book, you shouldn't get to study five of them and find the university and have long talks about demons/devils/creaturesofthenight. You can spend your entire afternoon and evening at the university if you really want to.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: February 17, 2014, 08:56:47 am »

Well, assuming I can have conversations without falling comatose:

Talk to University lecturers/leaders about the devilings that our group encountered. Attempt to group-theorize what they are and what their purpose is.

*Relevant Information Thuun Currently Knows:
They are normal men and women "cursed" by some unknown quasi-magical force that doesn't conform to normal magic laws.
Most are feral, but one among them, encountered by the other members of the group was intelligent and used the quasi-magic to attack and sustain itself.
They are entirely separate from the typical demons encountered in Yagalia normally.
They are cutting off messages between cities, indicating some degree of organization.
They are resistant to normal magical power.
They can use runes and other means of magical projection to drive others insane.
They use Iron Weapons ((Would Thuun know this? I assume if the others knew they told him?))
They're afraid of volcanoes :P

((Anything I miss?
Last part is semi-joking, as most people don't have snap access to volcanism like Thuun does :P))
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:01:47 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 17, 2014, 10:00:19 am »

You're metagaming a little there vis a vis magical resistance, but otherwise I can see where each point is based in experiences. Whether your conclusions are correct or not is an other matter. There's a pretty big clue floating around in every single update so far.

I would assume that as a mage you'd have a passing familiarity with this crazy new metal that makes mages explode. Given you're also a Life mage trained in a large-ish school, it's almost certain that you know iron exists. You've just never encountered it until now, is my guess. However, you're also aware that it's an incredibly rare metal - normally found in rock form in the current age. Beyond that, you have no knowledge of iron's properties.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 17, 2014, 11:18:38 am »

((Well the first stage of ANY massive invasion is to cut off communications :P
So I imagine that's the deal behind them killing off messengers. There have been rumors of the enemy having mages, but that could easily be the quasi/anti-magic.
What exactly they ARE, however isn't completely clear. They seem to be a magic parasite or something like that which takes people over with a curse, but beyond that its pretty much guesswork at this stage.
Wait, are the "intelligent" ones former mages that contracted this curse? That would explain a lot actually.
It would also make this suspiciously similar to Dragon Age Darkspawn :P

Anyway, MUNCHKINRY!!
I was watching Dog Whisperer some more and I was wondering if Life magic could be used to communicate with/control animals.
Why is the type of magic I find the most awesome uses for the one that's gonna get retconned? :())

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 17, 2014, 12:00:45 pm »

((What if the "magical parasite" is just one of the invaders' weapons? Like...cryssalids or something.))
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 17, 2014, 01:48:18 pm »

((So who here is psyched to read the books when they're out?

Also Niccolo, you seem to have implied there would be multiple novels, do you have titles for all of them, or just White Circuit?))

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 74