Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 134304 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 39 - Revelations
« Reply #870 on: February 18, 2014, 09:55:34 am »

((Well I guess Thuun will just fit right in then, because he doesn't make a big deal about it either, seeing as he's a priest and probably celibate.
Is celibacy a priest thing in this though? Or is that another tired old trope that isn't getting used here?

Also I suggest that you read the light book GWG, so that you can learn Lucidity as quickly as possible. Having a defense against insany-stuff is a very good thing.
And +1 to the glove :P
Note that I will ALSO be reading the Light book and getting Lucidity post-haste, and that I get a bonus to light magic from Nathaniel.

Hmm...maybe I should focus on light magic and you should try and practice shadow magic? Then we can compare notes and teach each other so that we both have the abilities. After all, Lucidity uses BOTH.))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 18, 2014, 10:02:14 am »

Eh, I don't really feel like tossing that in. Like, every medieval world has that tired old trope, y'know? (Except for Tamora Pierce's books, in parts) I think my world will be one where it's a little odd, but it was never really made a big deal of to begin with so it never became a big deal.
So, a bit like ancient Greece then?

((It makes sense, considering that this is still the Bronze Age. I haven't really heard of any particular historical condemnations of homosexuality that don't stem from Abrahamic religions, and most of those didn't even exist (except maybe Judaism, in some highly limited fashion or another) back in the Bronze Age.))

"Ah, good literature! How I love it!"

Pick up a random magic book if I can, and commence reading it! Otherwise look through the Cylenian bible and examine Cylenian beliefs.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 18, 2014, 10:11:19 am »

Eh, I don't really feel like tossing that in. Like, every medieval world has that tired old trope, y'know? (Except for Tamora Pierce's books, in parts) I think my world will be one where it's a little odd, but it was never really made a big deal of to begin with so it never became a big deal.
So, a bit like ancient Greece then?

Maybe? I don't know too much about Ancient Greece. It's just... not going to be a big deal. I mentioned Tamora Pierce before for a good reason; in her books, gay characters rock up time and again, but they're just sorta there. At least one is a main character (Who, admittedly, is a bit worried about how her friends and family will react), another is mentioned solely in passing and there's minute attention drawn to it, it's just a tiny background detail of the culture like anything else.

Really, though, it's tertiary information. The story doesn't revolve around sexual themes, it revolves around punching demons in the face, because I'm sick to the gills (Don't start) of fantasy novels full of murky alliances and tenuous peace and betrayals because man is truly the worst creature and the entire goddamn world is painted in shades of grey ranging from mid-tone through to 80% black. And it sure as hell won't be a modern fantasy book about a young girl torn between two paramours because that idea has been written into the freaking ground. It's like nobody wants to write a feel-good "The good guys are going to rip the king of hell a new one" fantasy story with a thrilling and amazingly climactic battle against evil. Everybody wants to be either the next Martin or Meyer.

I just wish the fantasy genre as a whole would pull its head out of its ass and quit acting like a goth kid that's lived in its parents' basement for years never paying rent but believes the world is black and grey because nobody can understand their pain, man.

Why yes this is a bone I pick at on occasion. Sue me, I like my villains a little more clear-cut.

BFEL! You're finally getting it! :P I wonder what happens if you both cast the opposite forms of the spell together? Also, Ekoka's already read the Light book; he has a rank of 1 in Light magic.

And no, celibacy isn't really a thing. Priests are encouraged to find husbands or wives so they can really become part of their communities.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 18, 2014, 10:34:17 am »

((First up, primer on Ancient Greece: Shiznit was epic, playas strutted round nude cuz they was proud as a muthafucka of they sexiness, dudes could bang dudes n' hoes could bang hoes n' no one straight-up gots all up in arms or anythang because they was too busy worryin bout dem wild-ass Romans next door

Primer on Ancient Greece provided by Gizoogle.

Also, while its nice to have someone just doing a straight good vs. evil story, its still good to have a BIT of grey vs. gray. Preferably in a subplot somewhere. Keeps it grounded in reality a bit y'know?

As for my "finally getting it": FUCK. IT ISN'T CREATIVITY IF YOU ALREADY THOUGHT OF IT NICCOLO!  >:(

Although really that part wasn't really me being creative, it was just suggesting we each play to a strength and divide the problem.))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 18, 2014, 10:44:58 am »

((It makes sense, considering that this is still the Bronze Age.
((On the other hand, most of the non-technological stuff reminds me more of the Middle Ages than Ancient Greece. And really, society doesn't proceed along a set path with technology.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 18, 2014, 10:56:03 am »

((On the other hand, most of the non-technological stuff reminds me more of the Middle Ages than Ancient Greece. And really, society doesn't proceed along a set path with technology.))

((Still, it's not like intolerance of homosexuality is an absolute requirement of social progress. In our world it's just that the ones who did not tolerate it became popular due to reasons totally unrelated to the fact they didn't like man-on-man action. And even then persecuting homosexuals is something that I suspect they only seriously started to do when more fundamentalist times rolled around, like in the 16th-17th century.))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 18, 2014, 11:05:39 am »

((Still, it's not like intolerance of homosexuality is an absolute requirement of social progress. In our world it's just that the ones who did not tolerate it became popular due to reasons totally unrelated to the fact they didn't like man-on-man action. And even then persecuting homosexuals is something that I suspect they only seriously started to do when more fundamentalist times rolled around, like in the 16th-17th century.))

((There was PLENTY before that :P))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 18, 2014, 11:26:29 am »

((Still, it's not like intolerance of homosexuality is an absolute requirement of social progress.
((I never said that. I merely said that there were a number of characteristics in this world reminiscent of medieval society, so it's fair to assume that other characteristics are also reminiscent of said society in lieu of evidence either way.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 18, 2014, 11:39:36 am »

((Still, it's not like intolerance of homosexuality is an absolute requirement of social progress.
((I never said that. I merely said that there were a number of characteristics in this world reminiscent of medieval society, so it's fair to assume that other characteristics are also reminiscent of said society in lieu of evidence either way.))
((This was my point as well, so could we please re-rail this before Niccolo loses our other posts? :P))

Indeed, I do this.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 18, 2014, 11:52:11 am »

((It isn't really fair to assume that, though, given how in this world demons, magic and gods are all very much present and obvious unlike in actual medieval society. Magic alone is a definite game changer, probably making plagues impossible and many natural disasters possible to avert (like how mages managed to avert towns freezing over when the sun itself died for a while), not to mention the complete lack of need for faith or piety, given that pretty much everybody knows the gods and angels do or at least did actually exist and that they don't seem too control-freaky in most ways.

I would be interested to know the position of women in society, though. I'd suspect a little differently, though we haven't really met any women aside from an angel, who doesn't really count, and an old crone hiding in a basement that immediately got shot in the face, from which we may, of course, infer certain things.))

((This was my point as well, so could we please re-rail this before Niccolo loses our other posts? :P))

((Sure! I love not derailing threads, and hate it when I always manage to do it somehow.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 18, 2014, 11:54:46 am »

((It isn't really fair to assume that, though, given how in this world demons, magic and gods are all very much present and obvious unlike in actual medieval society. Magic alone is a definite game changer, probably making plagues impossible and many natural disasters possible to avert (like how mages managed to avert towns freezing over when the sun itself died for a while), not to mention the complete lack of need for faith or piety, given that pretty much everybody knows the gods and angels do or at least did actually exist and that they don't seem too control-freaky in most ways.
((And in what way does any of this imply anything about societal attitudes towards homosexuality?))
Sig

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 18, 2014, 12:03:28 pm »

((And in what way does any of this imply anything about societal attitudes towards homosexuality?))

((That they have no obvious religious basis, for one. Homophobia isn't hardcoded into the human psyche or anything, you know. The world doesn't seem to have any popular version of Leviticus or a particular need for anything like it. Most distrust and xenophobia that exists gets leveled toward mages. We don't even have any reason to assume the idea of deviancy beyond, say, incestuous relationships even exists.

Okay, stopping for real now.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:40 pm »

((And you think the similar traits just happen by chance? Or that religion wouldn't be important in a world with real gods?))
Sig

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:11 pm »

Felice goes to see the rest of his companions.

"All right, so, weird stuff happened inside of my nogging. Now, whenever I concentrate, I see some kind of blue sphere inside of me. I ge the feeling I need to open this thing up somehow, but I have no clue how to begin doing this. Any ideas? Oh, also, I'm done with the books, so if you want to borrow them, now's your chance."

Loan out magic books to companions, try to get some kind of idea as to what to do with my mind orb thingy
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:48:16 pm by Pancaek »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 18, 2014, 03:57:04 pm »

((Crap, just remembered something))

Before heading to bed, Thuun realizes just how long its been since he has eaten, and immediately rushes to the tavern/inn owner and buys up a enormous amount of food, practically a banquet, before promptly stuffing his face in the most expedient manner.

((THEN the other action))

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 74