Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 133626 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 39 - Revelations
« Reply #900 on: February 20, 2014, 01:02:20 pm »

:)

I'm not just munchkining for my own benefit you know. I consider playing in this RTD to be something like being an alpha tester. But for a book instead of a game.

Its my job to think of all the crazy shit you haven't already and throw it at you and yell "EXPLAIN!" because lets face it, if I don't, eventually your readers will :P

Just thought I would throw that out there, seeing as I already threw the "Its not being creative if you've already thought of it" thing. Which is another reason I munchkin so hard, and I hope that since he is currently something along the lines of "The Avatar of Creativity" that such things transfer to BOOK!Thuun.

So, question time: How much of the book that we are currently "playing in" do you have planned out? Because it seems like you have it 99% figured out and just brought us in to put some names and faces to some characters.
I guess what I'm trying to say is at the beginning of this you said we would be "helping you create the history of this world" but so far it kinda feels like we're just playing out the history you have written down.

Now this isn't gonna make me quit the game or anything, don't get me wrong, this game is crazy fun, but it feels less like an RtD writing a book and more like a book writing an RtD.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: February 20, 2014, 01:08:03 pm »

Heh. Yeah, planning RtDs doesn't end well when magic and overshoots come into play. See my game, Thawed. It was supposed to be a game about a sort of fantasy special forces unit, but one of the characters accidentally turned the whole base to crystal and everyone else got lost chasing her. Let's see how many casualties there are before we get through basic training.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 20, 2014, 01:12:37 pm »

Heh. Yeah, planning RtDs doesn't end well when magic and overshoots come into play. See my game, Thawed. It was supposed to be a game about a sort of fantasy special forces unit, but one of the characters accidentally turned the whole base to crystal and everyone else got lost chasing her. Let's see how many casualties there are before we get through basic training.

I hope its 97. That's probably a record for most deaths in an RtD, and you'd break it before basic training is done :P

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 20, 2014, 03:40:02 pm »

There is no way that would be a record. Entire worlds have been destroyed in RtD games. Entire worlds have been destroyed in RtD games that were never supposed to leave the room they started in.

If it was 97 PC deaths, maybe, but I only have six of them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 20, 2014, 06:19:03 pm »

The book itself is mostly planned out. I know roughly what happens, I know who lives, who dies and who pulls off awesome stuff.

But this setting, the one you guys are playing in? It's the history, the backstory of the world. It's stuff I've never gotten around to thinking about other than "yeah, eight hundred years ago a malevolent thing killed the sun, broke the moon and caused chaos for a while." I DO know the canonical solution that happens at the end, but as to how the saints got there? Not a clue.

Sooo, I've plotted out a rough journey for you guys and I'm just going to keep throwing random shit at you and see what sticks.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 20, 2014, 09:01:28 pm »

Are we the "saints"?
Sig

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 20, 2014, 09:36:27 pm »

Are we the "saints"?

If all goes according to plan and you destroy the monstrous evil trying its level best to drive humanity to madness?

Yes.

Tearing the soul apart just makes me think of horcruxes.
Is it possible to...distance the mind and spirit, still tethered to the physical but "stored" in some other location?
Yeah, I guess so? It'd take a lot of power to hold them in place, kinda like the effort it takes to hold a spring stretched right out.

And if mages are agents of order...what the hell is with what's gone on so far?
*Shrug* People go off the reservation on occasion. And the humans still have free will. Mages have a predisposition towards being orderly, but if they choose to embrace disorder, then they have the ability to cause a lot more chaos than most.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: February 20, 2014, 10:26:01 pm »

1. Is it possible to anchor them to other things?

2. Is it just me, or is the magic causing most of the group's disorder?
Sig

Nunzillor

« Reply #908 on: February 20, 2014, 10:55:55 pm »

AlcoholMagic: the cause, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: February 21, 2014, 02:37:00 am »

1. Is it possible to anchor them to other things?

1. Depends. Wherever you stick it, you're going to have to tie it down really hard to get it to stay. Some things naturally work to provide anchoring points, I'd guess - I would advise against trying to stickytape your mind into the ocean.

2. Which is why I didn't make a big deal of the "mages are agents of order" thing. I fully expected this game to be a general roller-coaster of chaos thanks to my petulant magic system. Really, it's an extraneous detail. In-universe, I guess you can say that since the heavens have just been turned upside down, then a little chaos is going to find its way into every damn thing. Ultimately, it's not magic itself that creates order, it's the person who's using it. Mages are simply more likely to end up working as policemen, librarians, advisors, guides - they're generally not the ones at the forefront of a revolution. They may advise the revolutionaries and may get fired up about it, but they don't lead revolutions, generally because they tend to favour far more moderate and tempered approaches to problems; revolution is not a moderate response.

Honestly, don't worry about it. It's not something that works in this game, mostly because I haven't placed in D&D alignments and because I want the game to be rather chaotic and fun. But the books, where I am literally in full control of what happens? Then I can make it work.
Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 21, 2014, 10:33:21 am »

Hmm....Niccolo, you mentioned before that souls are basically enormous amounts of energy right? Does that mean they could be used to power spells? Well, I mean could I use SOMEONE ELSES soul to power up a spell? :P

And if I did, how many sanity points would I lose? XD

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: February 21, 2014, 06:49:42 pm »

Yes and all of them, respectively. You'd be so filled with guilt you'd probably immediately commit suicide.

You're a Life mage and the soul is something that you - or at least your temple - would hold sacred. Yes I can and will use your backstory.

The next turn's going to be up in a while. I've got a busy day, but hopefully I can write it up this afternoon.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:18:05 pm by Niccolo »
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 21, 2014, 08:49:27 pm »

Yes and all of them, respectively. You'd be so filled with guilt you'd probably immediately commit suicide.

You're a Life mage and the soul is something that you - or at least your temple - would hold sacred. Yes I can and will use your backstory.
...Is there something in my backstory that would prevent me from draining soul energy?
And if I didn't destroy any bit of the soul, could it regenerate? And if so, how much could I take from any given soul?
Sig

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 21, 2014, 09:30:29 pm »

You know, I'm not sure. I can't imagine the soul's owner would be entirely happy with you, but as long as you took... I'd say, less than half of the energy within any one circuit and no more than a third of the total energy, it'd bounce back.

As to your backstory, I don't know. You didn't give me quite as many openings as BFEL did.
Check out my RtD!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 21, 2014, 11:04:15 pm »

Bwa ha ha.

Anyways, good to know I guess if I ever need to do anything particularly powerful. Could I use non-human souls? Frogs or bugs or plants or something?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 74